Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here are Kathie's machines! She just got these! I don't know what I did to take out the first message!

Anyway, I think the Challenge is a Davis from the size of the needle. Davis had a machine called the Challenge. National also had a machine called the Challenge, but since Kathie is describing a Davis long needle, I'd venture to guess this Challenge is made by Davis and it is a pre-1900 machine with the wood pitman.

Kathie, the Elite is a 15 clone. You will probably never be able to date that machine, but it will thread and run similar to any other 15.

White also had a badged machine called a 'Challenge VS,' but I don't think that machine is the White version.

Nice finds!

Nancy
Cool machines!! I think trying to figure out which company badged which machines is fun...it's like a detective story!! :-)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well we did it again. Went to an auction yesterday and came home with two more machines. One is a 301 dated 1955. and the other is a Singer Tiny Taylor Mending Machine made in France. Paid only $32.50 for both and the 301 came with 3 boxes of attachments and orginal manual.
Trish...love your 301!!! If I get another it will probably be 2 tone. I almost bought one from another board member, but with shipping it was high cost....so, didn't do it. :-(
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here are my latest finds.

My National Two Spools, Willie Sue, had one owner before me! She came with her attachments, manual, warranty, and several letters of correspondence between Ms Willie Sue and the National Sewing Company! Pretty Cool!

The Rocketeer is a 500a from 1961 that I have been playing with all day. I got her yesterday from a yard sale for $15, and she is perfect!

Nancy
Nancy, that two spools is gorgeous!! What great decals. A friend of mine has the Rocketeer that she rescued out of her mother's garage a couple of years ago. At that time I didn't know a think about vintage machines, and so recommended she take it to lsmrg, and after she did, it sews like a champ, and he knew about the cams, etc. She loves it!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Well we did it again. Went to an auction yesterday and came home with two more machines. One is a 301 dated 1955. and the other is a Singer Tiny Taylor Mending Machine made in France. Paid only $32.50 for both and the 301 came with 3 boxes of attachments and orginal manual.
Trish your 301 looks like it just came out of the box! I love the two tone 301's and I would love to find the Black with White 301 like my buddy James has.

Billy
Oh don't tell me there's another color combo of the 301? Black with white? Wow....must be rare as hens teeth!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee

I'm dying to try FMQ on a treadle, I just don't have one that drops the dogs....BUT!! I can use a buttonholer cover!! :D

Oh wait...I kinda sorta hafta sew a quilt top to do that, huh?

Y E S!!! Charlee, making a top comes before the FMQ!!! Nearly every time, as far as I know!! LOL LOL :lol: :lol:
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Oh wait...I kinda sorta hafta sew a quilt top to do that, huh?
Charlee,

Don't you need to make a quilt top and bottom and at least spray baste them to the batting!![/quote]

EEEK!! Spray basting is only for FMQ on a sitdown machine...I dealt with one that had it; put it on my short arm on frame setup, and it was difficult to quilt it.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by deplaylady
I just talked to the shopgoodwill.com guy at Rochester and asked about the reserve prices on the sewing machines. He said they got the reserve prices by checking the internet and seeing what people are getting (asking) for them (meaning CL listings and the buy it now on eBay.) Problem is they aren't taking into account that the items aren't tested and sometimes are missing bobbin cases and bits. He also said they aren't relisting as much as they used to, maybe I need to head out to the stores to see if they put the machines back on the floors and with what prices. You never know - there's always 1/2 price day!
I often see CL ads that say, "This machine is for sale on ebay for $3000.00! I'm only asking $1200.00 because I want it to go to a good home..." (That's actually a direct quote on a Singer 27 in a plain treadle cabinet, both need cleaning and work!)
They don't check the "Completed Listings" section on ebay to see what's actually selling, and for how much.
Yup, I see this all the time on CL here too! Cracks me up. Just because they're ASKING that stupid price on ebay doesn't mean it's worth it or that it will sell for that! Duh....
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I belong to several--never had any trouble with any. Info is asked generally to keep out folks trolling to sell or scam. vintagesingers has been around for many years.
Originally Posted by Kas
I was wondering if anyone here is a member of any of the Yahoo groups for vintage machines. I am thinking about joining, but I feel uncomfortable with all the info they ask about. The problem is I am not finding much info on how to actually take apart the motor on my 500a or how to check the brushes on it and my 301. Any thoughts?
Just know that the Vintage Singer Yahoo site is HEAVILY moderated and you will get verbally spanked if you don't follow every rule to the letter(and there are many). I joined, asked a question and posted a thank you to someone who responded. My response was yanked, I was sent a nasty e-mail about 'wasting space' thanking people and not clipping my posting down enough. I will lurk, but never post again!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Just gotta ask....is 3 in 1 oil not good for machines? How about cleaning them??
It is a paraffin based oil and will leave a build up after so many years. You need a good sewing machine oil and Walmart sells Singer brand oil. I buy mine by the gallons and I will have to see what I pay for it but it is not much $35 or so.

Billy
Walmart sells it??? I was just there and have not seen any! What about the gear grease? Or motor grease?
The gear grease you can either get it at Hancocks or Joanns (Singer brand) or you can go to NAPA and buy Tri-Flow and use that. I swear by Tri-Flow its a synthetic grease and will not hurt any vintage gearing or motors.

Billy
You can also get this at Sew-Classic.com...I buy a lot of odds and ends from her....good service and great prices! Not affiliated, btw.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM

For those of you that have the Two spoolers, what is a going price for them?