Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1683 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 683 1183 1583 1633 1673 1682 1683 1684 1693 1733 1783 ... LastLast
Results 42,051 to 42,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Just thought I'd share my efforts getting the Wheeler and Wilcox No. 8 going. Everything was working like a Swiss Clock except it would not take up the bobbin. Over and over I tried..checked, tried again, you all know the drill. Well, all of a sudden I realized that the needle probably was the problem...yes, it was the correct needle for the machine (not original I figured...but proper side. I inched the needle down from the needle shaft a nail's thickness, and ...it brought it right up. I forgot that in the modern needles the hole is a tad higher than the olden days..

Made sure, very sure, that the needle was not coming in contact with the bobbin case, and it took it right up...

Live and Learn.

Blog Entries
    Dan I had an interesting time yesterday - I posted about it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t225971.html
    I hope by now it is clear...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    The other thing I did yesterday is put together a machine my grand daughter can use. She is a bit visually impaired. This one should move slowly enough she can keep track of things. It is a Singer 66 with no boss.
    Name:  4H 011.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  145.0 KB
    If you are old enough, you might remember those. They are not legal now in most places. You all will have to figure it out. My lips are sealed.

Miriam, she should enjoy that. Sort of having a Ferrari that only goes 10 mph but she can use it for everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    Miriam, she should enjoy that. Sort of having a Ferrari that only goes 10 mph but she can use it for everything.
    A regular HC would confuse her for later. She has her difficulties. This one should turn the right direction so when she changes to another machine we won't have to relearn. Yes a Ferrari going 10 MPH would suit her fine at least for a while. It will need a needle guard, too. She has a wonderful imagination. Here is a pic of part of her badly displayed 4-H project. You can only see the pincushion. It the one that looks like a pastry. She came up with the idea and I got her started making it. Then she made an entire sewing kit out of felt that looks like 'food'. It looks pretty much like a visually impaired 8 year old made it but she does not lack imagination.
    Name:  4H 001.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  131.0 KB

Miriam,

I'm old enough to remember those. I used to take them off every chance I got, back "then".

I have seen that pastry Miriam's GD made. Looked real enough from a distance to me make me walk across the room to check it out. Lot's of work for a 8 yo.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

I'm old enough to remember those. I used to take them off every chance I got, back "then".

I have seen that pastry Miriam's GD made. Looked real enough from a distance to me make me walk across the room to check it out. Lot's of work for a 8 yo.

Joe
    She made a taco for her tape measure, a pretzel for her pencil, a pickle for her thread and I don't remember what else. She is a dreamer for sure. Yes Joe, she did a nice job. You can see how big the stitches are in the photo. She left it in the shop before the fair so she wouldn't lose it. I'm thinking she tried to do broccoli and it didn't work out so she tossed it out. I bought her some more felt so she can keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    If you are old enough, you might remember those.
    It took me a minute to work that one out. I'm sure they're only illegal installed in "heavy machinery", Miriam

Tips on how to get my daughter's attention back to sewing would be welcome, everyone. Only 10 but attention of a goldfish.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Tips on how to get my daughter's attention back to sewing would be welcome, everyone. Only 10 but attention of a goldfish.[/QUOTE]

Small projects. It sounds like miriam's DGD has some good ideas. Yo-yos on simple drawstring bags are fun, too. Those of us with short attention do well if we have the feeling of accomplishment that comes with finishing which is why small projects work well. When I was teaching remedial reading, I transitioned students to chapter books by introducing them to collected short stories. Less threatening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Tips on how to get my daughter's attention back to sewing would be welcome, everyone. Only 10 but attention of a goldfish.
    Small projects. It sounds like miriam's DGD has some good ideas. Yo-yos on simple drawstring bags are fun, too. Those of us with short attention do well if we have the feeling of accomplishment that comes with finishing which is why small projects work well. When I was teaching remedial reading, I transitioned students to chapter books by introducing them to collected short stories. Less threatening.[/QUOTE]

My youngest kid loved Louis L'Amour stories on tape. He would not read. Finally I got a book of short stories by L'Amour and read the first couple paragraphs then went to the bathroom. He could read. You bet the short stories in a book are a great transition. The trick is to find one that is interesting to the child.

I'm starting her out on paper - 3X5 cards we made our own dot to dot and home made mazes. Straight lines. Curvy lines. Sewing designs on paper bags is next. Then open the bag and put a little battery operated tea light inside. Books of dot to dot or mazes are also good. Anything to learn control which is hard for her. I think she would like to make some simple skirts some time. but I'd like to see some control first. She has a pretty short attention span, too. She wants to catch up with her big sister. Her big sister has a Singer Spartan and has sewed her own quilt already. She won a champion at the fair for a fat quarter tote bag so will be going to the State Fair in August. I think my little 8 year old is a bit afraid even with a needle guard. I think the hand crank will help her feel more confident and comfortable. Wilbur just wants to watch machine works. Miss L who is 6 wants to sew, too but doesn't like to listen to directions. She tries but forgets things. I think she had too much distraction that day.

LOL...LOL I said Wheeler and Wilcox...I meant...Wheeler and Wilson...I have so many I can't keep them straight anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Miz. Johnny, I really don't sew much because I am always fixing machines, but I would be interested in going to a local TOGA. How do I find one in my area? I live in the Chicago suburbs. I don't know where to start.
    ~G~
    Join the Treadleon group--go to Treadleon.net and follow link near the bottom of the page. On that same page is a link to the Flea Market, which has a page for various gatherings. Not all TOGAs are listed; some small regional ones are pretty much word of mouth. I don't know about Illinois, but there will be a big one coming up in Minnesota in September, and there's one in Wisconsin and one in Michigan sometime over the summer.
    Miz Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
    LOL...LOL I said Wheeler and Wilcox...I meant...Wheeler and Wilson...I have so many I can't keep them straight anymore.
    We knew what you meant!! I have a W & W treadle that I really love to sew on. Too bad I spend so much of my time hauling stuff from spot to spot and so little time sewing!!
    Miz Johnny

Re: short attention span.
    I've discovered that if it is something my DGS is truly interested in his attention span doubles or triples. Also it has to seem to him like it was his idea to do it in the first place (sound like any adults you know? Lol!).

The other thing I did yesterday is put together a machine my grand daughter can use. She is a bit visually impaired. This one should move slowly enough she can keep track of things. It is a Singer 66 with no boss.
    Name:  4H 011.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  145.0 KB
    If you are old enough, you might remember those. They are not legal now in most places. You all will have to figure it out. My lips are sealed.
    Miriam, you found one! And just FYI on them, they are not illegal on machinery, so you are good. Just on cars but on some antique cars they are allowed if they have an Antique Automobile registration.
    How does it work on there? Good? Is it less intimidating for her?
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    I haven't had her over yet but it does turn very nice - but then again it is a Singer 66. I think she will do well with that type HC and she won't have to un-learn which way to turn the wheel when she goes to electric some time. I think I would rather have a big round one or one with a longer narrower knob.

I am old enough to remember those knobs. I guess the were called "suicide knobs" for a reason. That is an inventive fix/re-purpose Miriam.
    Sweet Caroline

Would a Husband / Wife team be welcome at a TOGA? We've discussed it and have developed a facination about them and would like to attend.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Would a Husband / Wife team be welcome at a TOGA? We've discussed it and have developed a facination about them and would like to attend.

Joe
    Is there one around here? Or is this a do it yourself? I think when Glenn comes we are going to put together as many treadles as we can. Does that count for a TOGA?

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    I think you can't go past the gathered skirt with elasticised waist. 1 seam. Could even do cute shaped patch pockets for something extra if the skirt goes too quick or is too simple looking.

Most definitely!! Lots of couples and even whole families.

Joe
    Miz Johnny

Is there one around here? Or is this a do it yourself? I think when Glenn comes we are going to put together as many treadles as we can. Does that count for a TOGA?
    Well, TOGA actually stands for Treadleon Gathering and Academy, but there are other vintage machine gatherings as well. ISMACS does MAJOR ones; the Oxford, Ohio gathering (which was last Saturday) is known as the Oxford Sewing Machine Gathering. In short, I guess you can't call it a TOGA unless it's a Treadleon gathering, but if you've got old machines and people who love them, you've got a fun time, no matter what you call it!! I do recommend you join Treadleon and see what the fun's all about. They do have a few more rules than this group--more on topic, etc.--but you learn a lot about machines.

The next one (that I know about) is in Winchester, TN the first weekend in August. BTW, Miriam--there were people from Indianapolis at the Oxford gathering--it's not too bad a drive.
    Last edited by Miz Johnny; 07-18-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Miz Johnny

Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Johnny did you get my msg. I am bringing TX Jan to the toga, you remember her from this board and her machine clean ups. Hope to see you soon
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    I'm bummed that I missed Oxford TOGA.