Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Honeynga
Please keep in mind that I'm not real smart and just couldn't find your PDA on the board.....am I supposed to be looking somewhere else ? Please give me explicit instructions....I tend to follow instructions well.

My real question is that I bought a Singer Athena 1200 yesterday at a thrift store and want to know your thoughts on the series.....thanks for info !

Sorry, I can't help you, but may be someone else here can. My only suggestion is to google for the the info.
I don't know anything about them. Look inside. Is there any plastic parts? If they break or are broken you are out of luck. If they are ok you can sew on it.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
Please keep in mind that I'm not real smart and just couldn't find your PDA on the board.....am I supposed to be looking somewhere else ? Please give me explicit instructions....I tend to follow instructions well.

My real question is that I bought a Singer Athena 1200 yesterday at a thrift store and want to know your thoughts on the series.....thanks for info !
The only Athena series I've seen had circuit boards which are no longer available unless you find a donor machine with good ones.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM

I did some more looking at the Challenge and I found the shuttle and four bobbins. I also found a needle that measures 1 3/4 inches long. I think I remember some one saying on this board that they do not make that long of a needle any more, am I right? Kathie
Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Hey kids the boss is back in the shop for a minute to check up on things. I have been really sick from this Chemo/Radiation therapy I am doing for this blood disorder thing but at least I am able to sit up and move around a bit. I tell you what I will be so glad to be over with it and it just started...... :roll: But they said it is a 3 part treatment and I will be going in for round two week after next. I did get another industrial W&G machine since I sold my last one a few weeks ago to a lady in Dyersburg. It is a lot nicer and a little newer looking but I need to see if I can get a belt for it and get it to running again. Yes I think this one will remain electrified. :shock: Yep I think I have lost my mind but I want to be able to set this up to where I can put my block strips together really fast! and if I decide to do a stitch in the ditch type of quilting I can do that in a hurry also, to the tune of 4000 stitches a minute. :mrgreen:

But here are a few photos of the rascal....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238071.jpe   attachment-238072.jpe   attachment-238073.jpe  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

Oh and if you look at the second photo I just posted other than the bikes and a few car parts on the side all of those boxes and crap behind my industrial are sewing machines or parts from OSMG buyouts I have done this year. The stuff is stacked up to the ceiling (12ft) starting at the row of boxes!! I can not tell you how many parts and machines I have out there but I can see 4 treadles and 2 cabinets in that photo and there are several more treadles buried in the stack. After I get over this disorder thing I have and get to feeling better I am going to put all of it nicely organized into my attic in the house with the other sewing machine parts I have.

Billy
Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Billy,
Hope you feel better soon, and your treatment has a good outcome. Hang tough through the side effects, and let the doctors do the work, and the Master's hand will guide them. Also, glad to hear you might be getting some electrification. You know, a little extra power is alright.

Melinda
Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Billy,
Please don't overdo it, take some time, relax and feel better soon. We are all pulling for you!
Jane
Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by melinda1962
You know, a little extra power is alright.

Melinda
Oh that is such sacrilege, and believe me it hurts to think I will have an electrified machine in my collection!!! :lol:

Billy
Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Earlier this summer I saw a CL ad for a featherweight in NYC (Manhattan) for $123. and my curiosity got to me. I figured it was either a mistake, already gone, and/or misclassified. I emailed and got a response with a phone number. I called, said it had been his mom's but it was really hard to get any more info. Several emails & days later when I came into the city I was to call him again and if he was finished with a writing deadline, he'd give me an address. The whole thing was weird, so armed with DD and 3 DGK we set off on this trek.
The day was hotter than you know what and a woman my age shouldn't be able to sweat that much. When we got to the place I thought, " I'll get to see what a NYC apt. looks like inside. Up 3 flights we all went and when we got there, you could barely slide in the door. The place was packed so tight with STUFF, down the hall, up the walls, in every nook and cranny. I had found a true hoarder. Now, I have clutter and collect some things....now it's VSM... but this one wasn't on TV but "in the wild" as Charlee says. I bought the machine and hightailed me, DD, and kids out to the street, to sweat some more.
When I got home, I took a look and couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was it shiny and pristine but it was ready to sew (complete)with great decals all around. His mom must not been a frequent sewer. It's BD was 4/10/1940.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238117.jpe  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Here are Kathie's machines! She just got these! I don't know what I did to take out the first message!

Anyway, I think the Challenge is a Davis from the size of the needle. Davis had a machine called the Challenge. National also had a machine called the Challenge, but since Kathie is describing a Davis long needle, I'd venture to guess this Challenge is made by Davis and it is a pre-1900 machine with the wood pitman.

Kathie, the Elite is a 15 clone. You will probably never be able to date that machine, but it will thread and run similar to any other 15.

White also had a badged machine called a 'Challenge VS,' but I don't think that machine is the White version.

Nice finds!

Nancy

Kathie's Elite 15 clone
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238140[/ATTACH]

Kathie's Challenge cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238141[/ATTACH]

Kathie's Challenge (and part of DH!!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238142[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238134.jpe   attachment-238135.jpe   attachment-238136.jpe