Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Found a 301 on CL will get it this weekend if it is what the guy says it is. That will round out my collection. A new Pfaff, FW a 99 that I need a case for and a 301.
Your collection can not be rounded out until you have a 301 in each of the three colors :mrgreen: plus you will need a shortbed and a longbed in each color..... :-D
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Found a 301 on CL will get it this weekend if it is what the guy says it is. That will round out my collection. A new Pfaff, FW a 99 that I need a case for and a 301.
Your collection can not be rounded out until you have a 301 in each of the three colors :mrgreen: plus you will need a shortbed and a longbed in each color..... :-D
You could get me into trouble. DW said that is alot of machines.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM

QuilterGary, what Pfaff did you get?

Nancy
Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana
Originally Posted by BoJangles
My slide plate is plain, no markings at all. The only other markings I can find are on a plate on the front of the arm which indicates needle sizes. I'm attaching a picture of that. I double checked my serial number and it is indeed 827313. On one of the websites I looked at I gathered that it is a #5, but can't find that now.
Nana, if it is a Free No 5, it would say that right on the arm itself - like my Free says "Free No 5" across the arm.

Nancy
Well, it must not be a No 5 because it doesn't say that on the arm. My slides plates are blank, too. Were they replaced, or was that the original? I think I'll call my Aunt and see if she remembers grandma getting the machine.
Nana Here are photos of the Free machines. Yours is the top photo and mine is the bottom one. Yours doesn't say Free No. 5 like mine. I found your posting of your machine on page 774. I'm an afternoon-evening person, I found the post!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120640.png   attachment-120641.png  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by BoJangles
My slide plate is plain, no markings at all. The only other markings I can find are on a plate on the front of the arm which indicates needle sizes. I'm attaching a picture of that. I double checked my serial number and it is indeed 827313. On one of the websites I looked at I gathered that it is a #5, but can't find that now.
Nana, if it is a Free No 5, it would say that right on the arm itself - like my Free says "Free No 5" across the arm.

Nancy
Well, it must not be a No 5 because it doesn't say that on the arm. My slides plates are blank, too. Were they replaced, or was that the original? I think I'll call my Aunt and see if she remembers grandma getting the machine.
Nana Here are photos of the Free machines. Yours is the top photo and mine is the bottom one. Yours doesn't say Free No. 5 like mine. I found your posting of your machine on page 774. I'm an afternoon-evening person, I found the post!
Yes, I noticed that. Also I have that plate on the front of mine and yours doesn't. It's very interesting how these machines differ.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Ok you guys this blows my Chicago versus Rockford theory all to heck! Monica, your machine says Rockford, Ill. Nana your machine says Chicago on top. Well, I guess the 'C' in front of some of the serial numbers didn't mean they were the ones built at the Chicago factory.

Nancy
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Yes, I noticed that. Also I have that plate on the front of mine and yours doesn't. It's very interesting how these machines differ.
Billy, Miz Johnny was having the oil plate on the head of the machine indicative of machines made earlier than the ones without the moveable plate and just the oil holes, or later versions? I would think the plate was indicative of an earlier machine, making it more accessible to oil and care for?

Nancy
Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 AM

I just acquired a 301A with serial number NB041442, all the serial number sight gives is 1956, which happens to be my birth year, but no other information. Is there a way to get more detail? or is this some of the information that was lost? thanks for the assist!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Not often I see these wonderful old Pfaffs available. This one is looks to be in great shape in a blond cabinet. Hesston KS is about 45 min north of Wichita.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/gms/2257498423.html
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM

So you will be leaving about 9 A.M. tomorrow morning to go get it, right?