Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

Yep they are still cleaning up and will be through out the summer and into the fall. There are still places in our area that is wiped out but Nashville has all of the big money entertainers so they are making that area the main focus.

Perry county (where my land is) was declared a disaster area and probably will never fully recover from the floods. The Buffalo River was 50' deeper than the normal depth for a day or so. Then all of the creeks that feed into it were way up and several people were swept away trying to get away from there homes.

But yes I would love to ride around Nashville and pick up the sewing machines that they tossed out.

Billy
Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 AM

How sad Billy, mostly for the people and their losses. But, also for the machines. Floods cause losses of so many historical things whether it is family history/possessions or town losses of historical things. How sad.

Thanks for the reminder. It is easy to stop praying for the those who have lost loved ones and physically lose so much once the headlines slip off the front page.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 AM

Billy, thank you for taking such good care of my new baby....I will be watching the postman like a hungry vulture...he may end up thinking I am stalking him....maybe I should tell him that I am watching for something really special.....

I was at an auction a couple of weeks ago and I bought a box of misc. sewing supplies for a whopping $2.00---this little box was in the larger box....it appears to be an attachment box of some sort. I have never seen anything like this. Can anyone out there tell a little something about it?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-78213.jpe   attachment-78214.jpe   attachment-78215.jpe  
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Billy, thank you for taking such good care of my new baby....I will be watching the postman like a hungry vulture...he may end up thinking I am stalking him....maybe I should tell him that I am watching for something really special.....

I was at an auction a couple of weeks ago and I bought a box of misc. sewing supplies for a whopping $2.00---this little box was in the larger box....it appears to be an attachment box of some sort. I have never seen anything like this. Can anyone out there tell a little something about it?
You want your money back?!?!?!

That is a set of accessories for a Singer W9 but will fit a 66-1 I think. The box is known as a puzzle box and they are usually found with the early Singers till the Teens. It looks like some of the brackets have been removed out of the box that would hold the accessories. You did very well finding that!!!

Billy
Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 AM

My Singer 27 came with a similar puzzle box full of attachments. This link

http://www.thesewbox.com/singer_puzzle_boxes.html

has a bunh of pdf's of various Singer puzzle box manuals, if you want to see what the attachments are and how they fit into the box.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Billy or Charlee or anyone who 'knows' (LOL) I am looking at a Singer. When I looked up the serial number this is the info I found.

It's a model 15, 50K were allotted on February 1, 1907 and then in the notes area it says 'special'. What does the special mean? It's a treadel. Looks to be in need of restoration and clean and lots of tlc on the cabinet which is missing an ornate drawer. Asking $100 or obo
Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM

Help! Maybe this machine is not a 'vintage' machine', but I am hoping someone can help me here. I can't navigate the Sears site to find what I am looking for.

A Kenmore sewing machine followed me home from a local garage sale... It is a model number 158-18000, with a serial number of 02613. Included are lots of bobbins, and a great many attachments. There are cams that load in the top to allow different stitches. There is even a buttonhole attachment! The missing item - an owner's manual. Anyone know where I might be able to get one? And there is a thread guide that has broken. I am hoping to be able to replace that. I will post pics later, as I need help to remove it from the car. I hope to be able to get it ready to hand over to DD in a short amount of time.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM

I know where you can sell that if you're looking to! Glenn needs attachments for his 66-1! ;) :)
Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I'm sure this site has been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again. They have a step-by-step guide for refurbishing certain models, including the 66. Their manual does address the different types of bobbin winders on the 66.

Originally Posted by no1jan
Does anyone have a closeup picture of a model 66-1 treadle bobbin winder (don't laugh Billy, I didn't break this one).

I took mine apart to clean it thoroughly thinking it was the same as my other 66 treadle but this one doesn't have the black piece for the bobbin winder but a steel one. I goes together differently. I have most of it put back but can't figure out the rest. It is made differently than the other treadle.

Thanks in advance.
Jan.

Yeah, Billy I did it again!
Dunster, I could not see the same bobbin winder in any of the tutes or pictures. My machine does not have the black piece that holds the thread guides and bobbin. It has a silver metal piece made differently and I can't figure out how to get it on.

I have 2 other model 66, one electric and another treadle, however the bobbin winder is made differently.

If you know of a tute or picture I missed, please let me know.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by siss
hi billie, i also have my late grandmother's treadle sewing machine in a very ornate cabinet. it looks like the top is inlayed in leather. not sure. it is a new raymond. i don't see a serial number. could you tell me where to look and i would send it to you so if possible you could tell me when it was made and any other information. i would really appreciate your time. i am enjoying looking at all the vintage machines. thank you in advance. if anyone else has information i would appreciate it too.
Okay Siss I am officially in love with this machine!!!! My wife would kill me to know how many of these machines you guys bring in here I fall in love with.

I think it is so beautiful!!!

Billy
can anyone tell me where the serial # is. thanks