Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1273 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 273 773 1173 1223 1263 1272 1273 1274 1283 1323 1373 1773 ... LastLast
Results 31,801 to 31,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Here's a White Rotary 77 that my neighbor gave me over the winter. I promptly put it in the garage until it warmed up enough for me to see if it worked. I totally cleaned it, oiled it and off she went. I was very surprised at how quiet a machine it is. It looks almost brand new and it was made in 1951! The table is VERY heavy and isn't the veneer type tables that Singer produced. It's real wood. I'm still debating about keeping it or passing it along to someone else. I really don't have the space for another cabinet. It sews a great stitch and you can control the stitch length of the reverse and forward stitching separately, which is very interesting.

I've had my eye on a certain Kenmore machine, and it came up for a song on CL last night and of course someone beat me to it:< So, getting this one going again made me feel a little better:>
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Candace;5031650]Here's a White Rotary 77 that my neighbor gave me over the winter.

nice machine, extremely clean!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Here's a White Rotary 77 that my neighbor gave me over the winter. I promptly put it in the garage until it warmed up enough for me to see if it worked. I totally cleaned it, oiled it and off she went. I was very surprised at how quiet a machine it is. It looks almost brand new and it was made in 1951! The table is VERY heavy and isn't the veneer type tables that Singer produced. It's real wood. I'm still debating about keeping it or passing it along to someone else. I really don't have the space for another cabinet. It sews a great stitch and you can control the stitch length of the reverse and forward stitching separately, which is very interesting.

I've had my eye on a certain Kenmore machine, and it came up for a song on CL last night and of course someone beat me to it:< So, getting this one going again made me feel a little better:>
    What size needles does that machine use?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Nearly every one of my old manuals for my machines tells you that if your machine is sluggish from old oil to "oil" the machine with a few drops of kerosene, run it until it loosens up, and then re-oil with a good quality sewing machine oil.
    If it is just dried oil, more oil and heat, Tri-flow or kerosene will soften it. I used 3-in-1 oil on my 401 way back when and stuck it up but good. The only thing that got her free after that was a solvent. I packed cosmetic pads around the places that were really bad, covered the base and used solvent - be sure to re-oil. Runs like a champ now.

Blog Entries
    Candace, that's a nice looking machine and cab!! And you're not allowed to find the Lady Ken....*I* get to do it so you'll come visit!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Regular 15 x 1's.

Blog Entries
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Candace, that's a nice looking machine and cab!! And you're not allowed to find the Lady Ken....*I* get to do it so you'll come visit!!
    I was soooo bummed. It was in the cabinet for $25...but I couldn't be sure it was the exact model as the photo was blurry. No details on the machine were listed and it was a 50 min. each way drive for me, so I sent the seller an e-mail asking what model it was. He never answered and the ad was down today:< So, someone nearby got a great deal. Booo for me.

Blog Entries
    Hey Nancy!! Jacquie posted a link in another thread...the title to this one caught my eye, even tho the machine itself is a Brother...

http://vintagesewingmachine.net/Pict...dle/index.html

oops double posted

Blog Entries
    I was soooo bummed. It was in the cabinet for $25...but I couldn't be sure it was the exact model as the photo was blurry. No details on the machine were listed and it was a 50 min. each way drive for me, so I sent the seller an e-mail asking what model it was. He never answered and the ad was down today:< So, someone nearby got a great deal. Booo for me.
    I'm sorry. I know how that feels! We'll find you one...altho it might be slightly more than a 50 minute drive...

Blog Entries
    Regular 15 x 1's.
    Oh no - my Domestic that looks like that is out of timing or something then. ARGH.......... The Domestic I have weighs only 12 lbs. It is very cool.

I'm sorry. I know how that feels! We'll find you one...altho it might be slightly more than a 50 minute drive...
    Well, we just had some job stuff this week and we are probably not going to be able to go on any road trips for some time!! So, it looks like I'm going to have to find one locally. Though I'd love a visit to your place sometime!! I guess the whole saying you snooze you lose is apt here. But, if you do see one listed on your CL I'd sure appreciate the heads up so I can at least covet it heavily over the net.

Wow, the site is acting up tonight and is really slow..

Blog Entries
    Well, we just had some job stuff this week and we are probably not going to be able to go on any road trips for some time!! So, it looks like I'm going to have to find one locally. Though I'd love a visit to your place sometime!! I guess the whole saying you snooze you lose is apt here. But, if you do see one listed on your CL I'd sure appreciate the heads up so I can at least covet it heavily over the net.
    If I find one, I'm buying it for you...we'll get it to you somehow!

AW...you're sweet Charlee. Hopefully another will pop up and thanks for being another set of eyes!

Blog Entries
    Last weekend, I cleaned up the National machine titled "The Eldredge", and this weekend I got her to stitch.
    If my memory is correct, this machine should use a different needle than the standard 15x1, but I was able to use a 15x1 needle in the machine. I just slip the needle down a bit until it picked up the shuttle thread to produce a stitch.

I still say the machine has lost its soul. When starting to treadle the machine makes a groan and a clunking sound, like something is rubbing. When I look at all the parts that I can see, I can find where the sound is coming from. After I get into the groove of treadling, the machine acts beautiful with no sounds but the shuttle in the race moving back and forth. It is only the initial turn of the wheel that the clunking and groan is heard.

I plan to just bring the machine head to the up coming TOGA gathering in Turlock in hopes that someone else my know what is happening. It could just be a case of old age for this sad gal, along with the fact that the machine hasn't been used in decades (my bones would ache and groan too).

Cathy, can you please tell me what is the correct needle for this National.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    When starting to treadle the machine makes a groan and a clunking sound, like something is rubbing. When I look at all the parts that I can see, I can find where the sound is coming from. After I get into the groove of treadling, the machine acts b
    *should read I can not find.

Blog Entries
    Candace that is a cute White. Is that the White that was meant to be the Singer FW competition. If I were into machines with motors, this White is one that I would love to own, but I'm not. Cute machine, enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Candace that is a cute White. Is that the White that was meant to be the Singer FW competition. If I were into machines with motors, this White is one that I would love to own, but I'm not. Cute machine, enjoy!!
    Yes, this is it. Miriam swears it's lighter weight, but it's hard for me to tell since it's in a table. I guess they run about 12 lbs.

Blog Entries
    Yes, this is it. Miriam swears it's lighter weight, but it's hard for me to tell since it's in a table. I guess they run about 12 lbs.
    From what I understand those Whites are still heavy, heavier than a Singer FW.

Blog Entries
    Is it as tiny or harp space as small as the FW?

Blog Entries
    Candace are you going to the TOGA in Turlock on the 10th. Regardless of your love for e-machines, you should joins us. Bernie has some very nice e-machines that he loves to show off at these events.
    Last edited by vintagemotif; 03-04-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Joe,

It's really rare for these old straight stitch machines to go out of hook timing. They usually had a roll pin placed instead of a set screw when the factory set the timing, making it darn near impossible for the timing to go out.
    Frequently the needlebar height is the issue. Needlebar height always has to be set before

the hook is timed, so start there. This is the way I check. Turn the machine’s handwheel in the normal direction until the point of the needle reaches “dead bottom center”. DBC is where the needle is at it’s lowest point. Starting there turn the handwheel until the needle has risen exactly .093 inches. The point of the needle should now be directly behind the needle in the middle of the scarf (dip in the needle just above the eye). If not, where is the point? If the needle has risen .093” and the hook point is not behind the needle then the timing may be off. If it is behind the needle, but not in the scarf then the needlebar height is off.
    Always start with a new needle and make sure it is not a stretch needle.

You said that the thread jams. Which thread, needle or bobbin? Check both tensions. Make sure the presserbar is down (easy to forget).

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    This might be a bit involved but here goes:

I have an Edison HA-1 15 Clone. Nice looking machine but it's got problems.

I found the first clue in a bunch of bent and broken needles in the case.

I found:
    The feed dogs out of adjustment, the were too far forward and impacting on the needle plate.
    The presser foot was adjusted too high
    The needle bar was adjusted too low
    The needle bar and presser foot was hitting each other.

I adjusted the feed dogs, the presser foot shaft and needle bar using the info in the 15-91 service manual I was referred to. (The 15-91 books are not as close to the clones as I'd want them. There are many differences. )

However now it thread jams horribly. So I checked the hook to needle timing as best as I can and find the hook a bit advanced of the needle. Instead of being centered at the needle at the eye, it's maybe an 1/8" past it.

There is another potential problem I'll be checking on later today, but in the mean time, any body have any suggestions from hands on experience, or links to service manuals other than the Singer manuals????

Joe