Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

So, does anyone think a sphinx is worth $115 in cabinet? The decals are in very good shape.
If that's what they go for in your area, then yes. Prices seem to be all over the map depending on region of the US....out here we pay premium price mostly...unless we have the time to go hunt every yard sale and junk shop. I dont....I work full time, so I watch auctions and such.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I just talked to the shopgoodwill.com guy at Rochester and asked about the reserve prices on the sewing machines. He said they got the reserve prices by checking the internet and seeing what people are getting (asking) for them (meaning CL listings and the buy it now on eBay.) Problem is they aren't taking into account that the items aren't tested and sometimes are missing bobbin cases and bits. He also said they aren't relisting as much as they used to, maybe I need to head out to the stores to see if they put the machines back on the floors and with what prices. You never know - there's always 1/2 price day!
Hahaha!!! That's why they do Reserve!!! Really now!! Did they expect to get those prices???? They deserve not to sell them, then. Same thing in this area on CL....people are asking way high prices, and when I contact them to offer less, they still have the machine but not willilng to drop the price...if they want to sell they need to price it to sell!!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
In my zeal to oil my recently acquired 301A, I put sewing machine oil in the motor tube, and then learned I should have used lubricant. I got some lubricant and tried to put that in, but it did not seem as though there was room to put any in. What should I do?
YIKES!!! You'll have to turn it over and let the oil run out. Put it out in the sun or use a hair dryer to help get it out. It will burn and smoke when you turn the motor on.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by Charlee
:lol: I couldn't stand the old snag that taught Home Ec...I took woodshop instead!
Charlee, you are younger than I am. No possibility of woodshop for me :-( Ah, well :lol: :lol:
Me neither!!! I had Home Ec in both Jr High and High School...one of my friends ran the sewing machine needle straight through her pointer finger nail...they had to take the needle out of the machine with it imbeded in her finger and take her to the hospital. I hated the skirt I had to make, and never wore it. We made Gym bags (remember when we had to wear shorts & shirts for gym class?), skirts, and something else, but I don't remember what it was.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
"This has been in my family for years!!!!"

And at that price, it will stay in the family for years.

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Silly Seller!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2535535097.html

:shock: :shock: :lol:
I think it is amazing that no one is trying to sell a machine that they bought cheap to resell it for profit. It seems that people are only selling their grandma's, aunt's, mother's, or someone in their family's machine, that is always ready to sew, bobbin case or not, foot control or not, etc. I guess I am just too honest.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Beautiful. Go buy it.
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Here is a real Treasure. Never saw one before.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/2533382930.html
I agree! Interesting machine.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Oh wait...I kinda sorta hafta sew a quilt top to do that, huh?
Charlee,

Don't you need to make a quilt top and bottom and at least spray baste them to the batting!!
EEEK!! Spray basting is only for FMQ on a sitdown machine...I dealt with one that had it; put it on my short arm on frame setup, and it was difficult to quilt it.[/quote]

I said spray basting for a quick fix (part of my bad joke). I do NOT spray baste. I have tried pinning, used the batting that has the chemicals in it already and gets ironed (which doesn't hold), and hand basting.

My favorite method of basting is the Sharon Schamber's method. Here is the link to my latest quilt that shows the in progress basting: http://color-my-world-with-warmth.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
For those of you that have the Two spoolers, what is a going price for them?
I picked up my first National Two Spools for $30, just the machine.
My second machine, Eldredge Two Spools in parlor cabinet (with cute feet/treadle pedal) with box of attachments, a drawer with more spools that fit into the "spool can", and another drawer full of sewing treasures was $140.

After purchasing the first Two Spools, I saw a Two Spools sell on ebay for around $560. That doesn't mean you will get that now-unless it looks like Nancy's machine...and then Nancy's gorgeous Two Spools could go for even more. That Two Spools is GORGEOUS!!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by jtapp9

So, does anyone think a sphinx is worth $115 in cabinet? The decals are in very good shape.
If that's what they go for in your area, then yes. Prices seem to be all over the map depending on region of the US....out here we pay premium price mostly...unless we have the time to go hunt every yard sale and junk shop. I dont....I work full time, so I watch auctions and such.
I only watch CLs- or get lucky while walking the dog through the neighborhood, my $10 Singer 401 sitting out at the yard sale.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Yep, our only choices were Home Ec and foreign languages. I took Latin. Best choice I ever made.
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by Charlee
:lol: I couldn't stand the old snag that taught Home Ec...I took woodshop instead!
Charlee, you are younger than I am. No possibility of woodshop for me :-( Ah, well :lol: :lol: