Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Monica,
Saw where you had changed your avatar - what does ttyl mean?
Haven't a clue on this one!!

Cindy
TALK TO YOU LATER= TTYL
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I never thought I'd get one of those funky looking HC's, but I now have one too!

Nancy, Welcome to the hand crank Club. Now you are a member just like the rest of us. :lol: Kathie
Oh Kathie, it wasn't that I didn't have a HC already. I actually have two. One is a 99k and one is a 28, I just didn't have one of the funky looking Chinese HC's! And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Chinese - I actually have three 1/2 Chinese grandkids - I just don't think those HC's belong on an old American made machine!

Glenn, you are funny! You painted over it? I am thinking about doing that too!

Miriam, the 319 takes a class 66 bobbin!

I have Cathy's info if you still need it Sheryl!

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I never thought I'd get one of those funky looking HC's, but I now have one too!

Nancy, Welcome to the hand crank Club. Now you are a member just like the rest of us. :lol: Kathie
Oh Kathie, it wasn't that I didn't have a HC already. I actually have two. One is a 99k and one is a 28, I just didn't have one of the funky looking Chinese HC's! And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Chinese - I actually have three 1/2 Chinese grandkids - I just don't think those HC's belong on an old American made machine!

Glenn, you are funny! You painted over it? I am thinking about doing that too!

Miriam, the 319 takes a class 66 bobbin!

I have Cathy's info if you still need it Sheryl!

Nancy
I was looking at sew-classic's bobbins and it is listed as an L bobbin. Maybe the 66 will work anyway.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by ndnchf
I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Most of the information I could find on Sears machines is here:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Sort of confusing, though
Jon
Wow Jon, this is interesting! According to this article the Franklin was made for Sears by Domestic in 1911, which is not what I have read before! Well, we know for sure the Franklin that looks like a 27/127 clone with the elaborate decals was not made by White! The White Franklins are newer and don't have the decals or shape of a 27/127!

So it appears those Franklins are both made by Domestic?

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I was looking at sew-classic's bobbins and it is listed as an L bobbin. Maybe the 66 will work anyway.
Ok Miriam I am going by what Cathy gave me for bobbins. But, I just took one out and even though the class 66 fits, I have not tried to sew yet as I still need to put the machine in a treadle. Actually the bobbin that came in the 319w is flatter, not as round as the 66? I will have to check it out!

Glenn, what do you use in your 319 for bobbins?

Nancy

Ok I just did some research, which I should have done before I bought the 319 so I knew what I was getting into. According to what I just learned the 319 uses 206x13 needles, which are suppose to be still available and the same bobbins that are sold for the Riccar Rotary?

Candace where do you buy the needles, since these are smaller than a 15x1?

Also, where do you get the bobbins and what are they?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Ok Miriam I am going by what Cathy gave me for bobbins. But, I just took one out and even though the class 66 fits, I have not tried to sew yet as I still need to put the machine in a treadle. Actually the bobbin that came in the 319w is flatter, not as round as the 66? I will have to check it out!

Glenn, what do you use in your 319 for bobbins?

Nancy

Ok I just did some research, which I should have done before I bought the 319 so I knew what I was getting into. According to what I just learned the 319 uses 206x13 needles, which are suppose to be still available and the same bobbins that are sold for the Riccar Rotary?

Candace where do you buy the needles, since these are smaller than a 15x1?

Also, where do you get the bobbins and what are they?
My smg called them L bobbins, and would have to order them. He sent a Pfaff one home for me to try, no luck, but works in the Pfaff I acquired since then. I have seen them on most of the online sites, as well as the needles. I ordered the needles from sewclassic. The eye of the needle is right at the tip.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I have a 99 I took the old motor off and put a handcrank on. Love it!! It's heavy as an anchor, but fun to sew on. I can take her camping, etc.
Which reminds me, Janice...where do I get a handcrank for my "new" 66?
Hi! You can get one from Sew-Classic, if she has any in stock. I got mine off eBay for around $20, and it didn't have that funky Chinese decals on it. Then I had to buy the spoke wheel from Cathy at the TOGA. Does your already have the spoke wheel?
Yes, it does have a spoke wheel which is why I instantly knew my brother had "done good" and why I wasn't worried that it had been converted to electric. I immediately thought "handcrank"! :thumbup:

So the ones from Sew-Classic have funky Chinese decals on them?
Depends where she gets them from. The last ones she had did have them, but other people have just painted over them with black Testors paint. Monica showed it to her husband, and he told her it says "Made in the People's Republic of China".
The handcranks that I have are made in Canada along with the handwheels. They are a little bit more but worth it in my book. And I have them and the handwheels in stock right now.

Billy
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The handcranks that I have are made in Canada along with the handwheels. They are a little bit more but worth it in my book. And I have them and the handwheels in stock right now.

Billy
Billy I have one of your HC's on my 99! I love that HC! I didn't know you were back to running your store!

Thank you Melinda! I just ordered enough needles to last a very long time - I hope! I also ordered some bobbins from Sew Classic!

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Hi, guys/gals!! I have a 128 that I picked up at a garage sale for $25 in a Bentwood case. I just offered to pay what they asked without checking it over very well....to say the least. The motor has broken off, so wondered if I could attach a handcrank to it?? I know nothing about doing this, but if there is a tutorial for it, I can read and follow directions. So that was question one. If the answer is yes, then...where can I find a crank for it and would it be easy for me to do alone? I'm crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes....braiding my hair if that would work...Please please please!!!??? Thanks so much for taking a moment and pondering my questions.
Does the machine have a spoke handwheel or solid? If it's spoke, then yes, you can turn it into a handcrank. If it's solid, you still can, but you'll have to put a spoke wheel on it first. Either way you have to do it, if it was me, I'd have that motor off in a heartbeat! :lol:
It has a spoked handwheel! Looked it over really really good....the motor wiring had actually melted and left a big pile of melted goo on the machine that looked like a bracket broken!! Anyway, it's off and out!! Now for a good cleaning! Then...who do I get a handcrank from?? With directions to install it?? I am happy dancin' right now!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Billy I have one of your HC's on my 99! I love that HC! I didn't know you were back to running your store!

Thank you Melinda! I just ordered enough needles to last a very long time - I hope! I also ordered some bobbins from Sew Classic!

Nancy
Yeah my wife and daughter are handling all of the logistics and we are doing this as a family project! I could not do it without them and honestly I am so ready to do something constructive again. Heck I am ready to take on more machines for people now! I am suspecting that in a month or less I will be finished with the back log if I do not have any issues health wise. As long as I have my family and all of their help I think I will not have to worry about much.

Billy