Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
I was looking at sew-classic's bobbins and it is listed as an L bobbin. Maybe the 66 will work anyway.
Ok Miriam I am going by what Cathy gave me for bobbins. But, I just took one out and even though the class 66 fits, I have not tried to sew yet as I still need to put the machine in a treadle. Actually the bobbin that came in the 319w is flatter, not as round as the 66? I will have to check it out!

Glenn, what do you use in your 319 for bobbins?

Nancy

Ok I just did some research, which I should have done before I bought the 319 so I knew what I was getting into. According to what I just learned the 319 uses 206x13 needles, which are suppose to be still available and the same bobbins that are sold for the Riccar Rotary?

Candace where do you buy the needles, since these are smaller than a 15x1?

Also, where do you get the bobbins and what are they?
319 will not accept a 66 bobbin or at least mine will not. It is a larger and flatter bobbin. I got 20 bobbins for 6.00 on ebay. And yes you change out the fashion disk.
Glenn
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by tropit
Originally Posted by DonnaC
Is there a reliable website that shows the differences between the old Singers? I'm driving myself nuts trying to pick out a vintage machine. I did receive some responses about the Singer 128, but I'm not sure how it differs from the Singer 99K and would like to look that up.

I understand that some of you have extraordinary luck picking up these machines for $50 or less, but I assure you, there haven't been any in my area for a long, long time... that's why I'm looking on eBay.
What are you planning to do with your vintage sewing machine? (Makes a difference what you buy.) Are you piecing, FM, etc? Just liking the idea of vintage? I'm really into the slant-o-matics. Others here are into treadles. One of us might have something you might like to buy. Do you want one to haul around? We could start a topic about 'what machine do you sew on and what do you use that machine for?' How ever there are a lot of people with their needle stuck in the groove of brand new is tons better than vintage and they all show up and seem very determined. I prefer a Singer 403 or 503 - they do a lot - they are all metal, you can see the needle, they have a drop in bobbin, economical, parts are available - easy for me to work - they thread front to back - when you are dyslexic that is a huge plus. I've seen the light on the 15 clones. Very nice machines and not terribly expensive - sew through anything. I can fix them and I can see what I'm doing. Some on here are going to have a favorite Singer 66 or what ever. I now have one but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe each would give a reason for liking what they have.
Oh Miriam, I hear you. I just love my 403A. I bought her in 1972 and she's never, ever failed me, after all these years. I'm thinking of getting another one just to replace her, or keep for parts.

I recently bought the treadles for those days when the sun refuses to shine...I'll be totally on solar power soon. I think that I'll leve them just as much.

~ Cindy
The Singer 503 is just as nice. I gave one to my DIL and she really took off on sewing. Every where she hauls that machine people ew and aw over it. Her mom was shocked that she would sew at all - she said she tried to teach her to sew and it didn't work - DIL says she just feels like it is a really good tool. Don't get me wrong - I have an Elna that I dearly love, too - but I can work on the 530 and I can find parts for the 503... I'm kinda stupid about the clones - I like them - if I can keep track of which way the needle goes and which way they thread I'm good with those. They turn nice and easy and they go through about anything. They are so cheap - if you wear one out just find another one...
I have a 503A on layaway from a great Sew & Vac shop. Got a manual online but it says nothing about what bobbins it takes. From the picture in the manual, it is metal and has 4 holes.
Can you tell me what number it takes?
Anything else I should know? I will find out Thurs. if there are any cams with it. Lots of feet though! Are the cams easily available?
Thanks,
Jan on 446
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I have a 503A on layaway from a great Sew & Vac shop. Got a manual online but it says nothing about what bobbins it takes. From the picture in the manual, it is metal and has 4 holes.
Can you tell me what number it takes?
Anything else I should know? I will find out Thurs. if there are any cams with it. Lots of feet though! Are the cams easily available?
Thanks,
Jan on 446
It takes the Class 66 bobbins and the 15x1 needles so everything is really easy to find and you can get them for cheap! The cams for the machine are easy to find because they are interchangeable between the 400, 500 and 600 series machines. There is however one cam in the 600 series that will not work, it swings the needle past the hole in the needle plate. I can not remember for the life of me which one it is but it is one of the lesser popular ones to have. So if you find the 600 series cams just check the swing by running the machine though a cycle with you just turning the handwheel by your hand slowly.

Billy
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by ndnchf
I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Most of the information I could find on Sears machines is here:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Sort of confusing, though
Jon
Wow Jon, this is interesting! According to this article the Franklin was made for Sears by Domestic in 1911, which is not what I have read before! Well, we know for sure the Franklin that looks like a 27/127 clone with the elaborate decals was not made by White! The White Franklins are newer and don't have the decals or shape of a 27/127!

So it appears those Franklins are both made by Domestic?

Nancy
That's my understanding of it. But then again, the old saying "I only know what I read in the newspaper" comes to mind.
Jon
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks Billy for the information.
Good to see you back here. We all miss you.
Glad you are getting better. Know it's been a really long haul for you.
Jan on 446
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 PM

:oops: Nancy, I left out the word chinese. I also have a one on my red eye. Kathie
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Oh I will be a regular on here for quite a while as long as the health hold out! I really miss this place and I love all of you all that are here. You know how to find all of the good deals!

Billy
Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn
I was looking at sew-classic's bobbins and it is listed as an L bobbin. Maybe the 66 will work anyway.
Ok Miriam I am going by what Cathy gave me for bobbins. But, I just took one out and even though the class 66 fits, I have not tried to sew yet as I still need to put the machine in a treadle. Actually the bobbin that came in the 319w is flatter, not as round as the 66? I will have to check it out!

Glenn, what do you use in your 319 for bobbins?

Nancy

Ok I just did some research, which I should have done before I bought the 319 so I knew what I was getting into. According to what I just learned the 319 uses 206x13 needles, which are suppose to be still available and the same bobbins that are sold for the Riccar Rotary?

Candace where do you buy the needles, since these are smaller than a 15x1?

Also, where do you get the bobbins and what are they?
319 will not accept a 66 bobbin or at least mine will not. It is a larger and flatter bobbin. I got 20 bobbins for 6.00 on ebay. And yes you change out the fashion disk.
Glenn
I know I can change out the fashion disk but what about the stack?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Hi, guys/gals!! I have a 128 that I picked up at a garage sale for $25 in a Bentwood case. I just offered to pay what they asked without checking it over very well....to say the least. The motor has broken off, so wondered if I could attach a handcrank to it?? I know nothing about doing this, but if there is a tutorial for it, I can read and follow directions. So that was question one. If the answer is yes, then...where can I find a crank for it and would it be easy for me to do alone? I'm crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes....braiding my hair if that would work...Please please please!!!??? Thanks so much for taking a moment and pondering my questions.
Does the machine have a spoke handwheel or solid? If it's spoke, then yes, you can turn it into a handcrank. If it's solid, you still can, but you'll have to put a spoke wheel on it first. Either way you have to do it, if it was me, I'd have that motor off in a heartbeat! :lol:
It has a spoked handwheel! Looked it over really really good....the motor wiring had actually melted and left a big pile of melted goo on the machine that looked like a bracket broken!! Anyway, it's off and out!! Now for a good cleaning! Then...who do I get a handcrank from?? With directions to install it?? I am happy dancin' right now!!!
WooHoo!!! Billy has come to the rescue...we are putting a handcrank on this baby!! Now..to be sure it's gonna work here is a pic of the "working end" of the machine.

Is this the screw/bolt it needs to be connected to?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280241[/ATTACH]

And what is this big hole all about just above the screw/bolt??
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280242[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-280188.jpe   attachment-280189.jpe  
Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by ndnchf
I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Most of the information I could find on Sears machines is here:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Sort of confusing, though
Jon

Wow Jon, this is interesting! According to this article the Franklin was made for Sears by Domestic in 1911, which is not what I have read before! Well, we know for sure the Franklin that looks like a 27/127 clone with the elaborate decals was not made by White! The White Franklins are newer and don't have the decals or shape of a 27/127!

So it appears those Franklins are both made by Domestic?

Nancy
The ISMACS site is very interesting. That's where I read about them being made by Domestic, but I'm still not sure. Nevertheless, its a nice machine and I think it will clean up nicely. But it will have to wait a while, as I have quite a few other machines ahead of it to do.