Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Well, way off topic, but DH and I led a committee at our church to put on a car & cycle show here yesterday with proceeds going to the local veterans' organizations, and our Soldiers Angels chapter at church, and a high school ROTC. It was great!! People are sure a blessing...51 paid registrations, plus we got so much recognition from the local media. Since the cars that came were mostly Vintage, I figured you all would be interested!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 PM

mpeters1200,
That bobbin case looks like the same one for my White MR77.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
Billy don't know where my message went so will redo.
serial #1x21924...don't know how to date her.
she runs just needs oiling.
Gee...she looks sooo familiar. (I just cleaned up a much less pristine embossed White Family Rotary). Love that you've got a table for her, and a knee bar! Her finish is really nice too.

I dated mine by going to: http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession
Lots of great information there on White machines. Go to the "serial numbers/dating list," and the ones for the 1x are on the 2nd page. There are also manuals there if you don't have one. Mechanically, I thought it was pretty easy to work on. The only tricky part was the tension fits on a certain way...take off the dial, and you take off the whole mechanism.

Looks like yours dates to 1930. Enjoy it!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
Here's the rest.

Bobbin case pictures. After a little fiddling, the case fits right inside. Wow is it narrow!

Serial plate

Here's pictures of the white, grainy powdery stuff.

It should all clean up well. Yes, the bobbins are smaller than for other Singer models, and you can get them at April's 1930s or Sew-Classic. The bobbins fit the 221s and 301s both.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:24 AM

I just finished cleaning cleaning my 1916 new home and 1915 white rotary.
I had to take that tension off to clean, I wish I had know about the tension. I don’t get the threading of that white. It will be next summer before I can work on the cabinet, it’s to cold now.
Does someone have a motor I can put on the white till I can get a piece welded for the treadle support? It looks so nice but I can’t even try to sew the way it is now.
I’ll have to look for some boxes like Glenn’s now, he has started a whole new thing. Nice work Glenn.
Phyllis nm
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
I had to take that tension off to clean, I wish I had know about the tension. I don’t get the threading of that white. It will be next summer before I can work on the cabinet, it’s to cold now.
Does someone have a motor I can put on the white till I can get a piece welded for the treadle support? It looks so nice but I can’t even try to sew the way it is now.
I’ll have to look for some boxes like Glenn’s now, he has started a whole new thing. Nice work Glenn.
Phyllis nm
I will try to put up some pics on threading later today when I get a break. What problems were you having with the tension?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I will try to put up some pics on threading later today when I get a break. What problems were you having with the tension?
The best information I found on tensions is here: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ look at 'tension mechanisms' they really spell it out
Old 11-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Phyllis nm

Sent a PM
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
Billy don't know where my message went so will redo.
serial #1x21924...don't know how to date her.
she runs just needs oiling.
Dreamer, what a neat looking cabinet that White is in. Those old White Rotary Electric Crinkle Embossed Black machines are just so unique looking. I have one too, but minus the cabinet!

Nancy
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh......I had some time tonight and pulled out mom's FW. I think I found the bobbin case, though I can't figure out how it got in it's hiding place in the first place. I'm uploading all the pics to photobucket right now. I took a ton of pics. There seems to be some white powdery substance on the footpedal that transferred to the cord and some of it fell on the bed.

Here are all the particular numbers. The serial number was on the bottom of the machine. It's in a completely different place than my 66. There's also a serial number on the bobbin case and the fold down bed thing. Is that normal?

From the machine: AH194901
From the bobbin case simanco usa 45750
bottom of fold down part: simanco 45713

I'll post pics before I go to bed. I have to get ready to get the kiddos off to bed. The spindle the thread sits on swings wildly off the machine. I see a whole for another screw, but nothing on the swinging thing itself indicating it needs another screw. I think it's broken. All kinds of black, greasy looking gritty stuff in there. Somehow, I don't think she's ready to sew yet. It's entirely my fault for putting her in the garage. I hope I didn't ruin her.
Did someone tell you, you have an August 19, 1947 machine? The white powdery stuff is probably just the stuff they used to coat the wires under the machine. Just wipe it off - no big deal. Most of the old FW's have the same problem. There should only be one spool pin on top. I saw your pictures. The FW's are really mechanical marvels - so small - but, such great machines. That spool pin cover opens so you can oil and clean in there. There should be a screw holding it closed, though.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 11-07-2011 at 06:23 AM.