Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
Seen a Spartan at the flea market last Sunday, but it had the logo for The Singer manufacturing company along the top of the arm. Was this a rare machine that I should have picked up?
The Spartan is the budget version of the 99 --without a light. Not too rare. The plastic cases have a problem sometimes as the little fins the machine rests on are not up to the weight of the machine and break off. But the machine itself is a really nice little machine, sews very evenly and is easy to maintain.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this baby is gonna take a bunch of time, work and TLC to get it fully functional again. Time, which at this point I do not have to spare. I haven't started research in this particular model. The wiring needs replacing for sure, so haven't tried to get 'er working. The wheel is difficult to turn. Cabinet repair is pretty much just a glue/clamp situation, I hope. Will need refinish work too, as the varnish is badly blistered. Machine will probably respond to a good cleaning and oiling. It's been sitting for years, it'll just have to sit a couple more months.
That a PROJECT for sure!! Whew...beyond me!! :shock:
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
So I have to offficially attempt to sneak a machine into the house.

Can a treadle be snuck in? I know there must be some info here somewhere on taking a treadle apart to transport (sneak)!

My guess is that the machine has been electrified but is still sitting in the treadle cabinet :)
Really pretty! My White FR was still in it's treadle cabinet - it had been electrified but I ripped that puppy off as soon as I got it home and put a belt on her. She's much happier as a treadle - just as she was meant to be! Have fun sneaking the treadle into the house!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 PM

I have 5 old stray metal bobbins that say "EXTRA #3 BOBBINS" on them. They are large and flat - about the size of a FW bobbin - but the middle hole is smaller. Any clue what they might go to? And does anyone need such bobbins?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Here is a GORGEOUS 1911 Red Eye that needs to go back in treadle...it's got a modern motor & case, but has the spoke hand wheel.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8339346

It's in Indianapolis, and is PICKUP ONLY...no shipping!! :cry:

BTW I told DH today about my Featherweight I got out of layaway...he wasn't thrilled, but was OK with it.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
My guess is that the machine has been electrified but is still sitting in the treadle cabinet :)

Really pretty! My White FR was still in it's treadle cabinet - it had been electrified but I ripped that puppy off as soon as I got it home and put a belt on her. She's much happier as a treadle - just as she was meant to be! Have fun sneaking the treadle into the house!
Well, this Saturday I am going to go pick up a treadle cabinet for my 66-1 that came with a motor. I know I can't sneak it in...I don't have that big of a house!! LOL I think DH already knows the machine is there, although I haven't exactly shown it to him, and he hasn't mentioned it. But the case is sitting on the floor in the sewing room, and he goes in and out of there all the time. But....he's really not very observant (his own admission!! :-)), so maybe he hasn't really noticed it!! LOL We'll have to see!!! :-) Can't wait to get my Little Lotus into her treadle.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by deplaylady

Well, this Saturday I am going to go pick up a treadle cabinet for my 66-1 that came with a motor. I know I can't sneak it in...I don't have that big of a house!! LOL I think DH already knows the machine is there, although I haven't exactly shown it to him, and he hasn't mentioned it. But the case is sitting on the floor in the sewing room, and he goes in and out of there all the time. But....he's really not very observant (his own admission!! :-)), so maybe he hasn't really noticed it!! LOL We'll have to see!!! :-) Can't wait to get my Little Lotus into her treadle.
Counting down! Only 4 more days & we get to go pick up our treasure!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 PM

I just picked up the Minnesota A doorstop for $10 and got a functioning 201 for $10 more!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM

My DH had been wanting a handgun he'd seen a while back so I told him to go get it. Now I can be guilt free if and when I find more machines I want cause guns are way more costly than these old ladies we collect. I gotta get a move on if I want to get as many as I am old cause I only have 30 machines and I'll be 66 in december. Dang, I gotta hurry. lol
Old 08-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Here is a GORGEOUS 1911 Red Eye that needs to go back in treadle...it's got a modern motor & case, but has the spoke hand wheel.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8339346

It's in Indianapolis, and is PICKUP ONLY...no shipping!! :cry:

BTW I told DH today about my Featherweight I got out of layaway...he wasn't thrilled, but was OK with it.
They may change their mind about shipping. I'm 9 minutes away from winning an auction with them (crossing fingers.) At first it was listed as 'pick-up only' but they switched after a few days to allowing shipping.