Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
Here is my "The Free" sewing machine and cabinet before and after. The cabinet had some dark stain running down it so I stripped it and need to sand and restain it. It must have at least 4 differant wood veneers on it. I have to do some veneer repair on the drawers.
Judy
NICE cleaning! It looks gorgeous now. I like the new look of the cabinet.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
Here is my "The Free" sewing machine and cabinet before and after. The cabinet had some dark stain running down it so I stripped it and need to sand and restain it. It must have at least 4 differant wood veneers on it. I have to do some veneer repair on the drawers.
Judy
I love the peacock decals on the Free machines. You did a nice job on that one.

I keep seeing everyone's cleaned up machines and am jealous. I have 2 I'm at the kerosene cleaning stage on, but it's supposed to be above 110 here for the next week at least. I'm going stir crazy--I want to go outside and work on mine to make them as pretty! :(
Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 PM

My 15K Treadle is officially restored and functional! It sews very nice stitches.

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236009[/ATTACH]

After
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236010[/ATTACH]

French Decal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236011[/ATTACH]

Close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236012[/ATTACH]

Improvised lower thread guide and stitching, after I got the needle in the right direction.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236013[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236003.jpe   attachment-236004.jpe   attachment-236005.jpe   attachment-236006.jpe   attachment-236007.jpe  

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Nicky, she's BEAUTIFUL!!

I want one... :lol:
Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
My 15K Treadle is officially restored and functional! It sews very nice stitches.
Nicky, great job on the 15 Sphinx. What year is your 15? The 15's with the Sphinx decal were the very early 15's. You are very lucky to have one, especially in that shape!

Nancy
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I just got rid of two of my machines. That brings me down to 19. One was a brand new still in the box Janome. The other was a Singer 27. I have one more to go which is broken and can not be fixed. I will have two more coming in a few years ( I hope). I got to thinking when is enough, enough. I have come up with the right answer, which is , when there are no more sewing machines out there to be had. Hubby had to work on one of my Red Eyes as the bobbin winder was not lined up right. It took it about two hours as one of the springs would not stay in right and kept popping out. He did get it and I was able to mend my night grown on the treadle. What fun. Kathie
Ok Kathie, what do you mean by you ". . . . . have two more coming in a few years. . . . ." What two more and why a few more years?

Congratulations on finding homes for two of your machines. I am probably going to add two to my collection tomorrow. I am going to see the Two Spools (machine only) with attachments and manual, and the Hitachi that I have been trying to see for two weeks!

Nancy
Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Nicky, great job on the 15 Sphinx. What year is your 15? The 15's with the Sphinx decal were the very early 15's. You are very lucky to have one, especially in that shape!

Nancy
Hi Nancy, I posted pics also on the VSMS Pics page, with a little history. Se was born July 28, 1925, in Scotland.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Very nice restoration on the machine and the cabinet. You did a good job.
Glenn
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Nicky, she's BEAUTIFUL!!

I want one... :lol:
Thanks Charlee! Your new Mamie is gorgeous!!! I need to find a name for this girl, maybe something French.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Very nice restoration on the machine and the cabinet. You did a good job.
Glenn
Thanks Glenn, that means a lot, coming from one of the experts. Putting her back together was touch and go, but I did it! DH took it apart while I read him the Tutorials on here. From there I was on my own.