Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Hi,
I'm wondering if you have the needle in correctly? The flat side goes in facing to the right and threads from left to right(outside to inside).
Sharon W.
Thanks for that info, Sharon. I'll check that tonite when I get home...I very well may have it in wrong! I know I have it threaded correctly...left to right. I'll let you know!!
Guess what, Sharon, you were right. I switched the needle around, and Harriet sews!!! YOOHOO!! I am sooooo happy!! Here's the pics of her stitch. This is a 102 year old machine in a 120 year old cabinet. It's all very cool!!! Color me EXCITED!!! :-)[/quote]

Its amazing sometimes how the tiniest of things can make such and issue. I have a Juki TL98Q on a frame and I quilted a quilt and was working on another one and was having a terrible time with the tension not being "just right". Was so frustrated because I had done several others just fine a couple of months ago. did everything I could think of to fix the issue to no avail. The other day like a freaking light bulb going off I decided to try flipping the direction of the bobbin :shock: :oops:

Needless to say all is well in my quilting world now :mrgreen:
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I posted my before and after pics of my cabinet restoration here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145486-1.htm#3962118 :>
Candace that came out beautiful!!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
jljack....your lotus is really pretty...I have the identical treadle but my decals are not that good...love her anyway..LOL glad she is sewing now. mine was completely froze up when I got her, she is now doing alot better and gets looser every time I use her...she was pretty gooped up. treadle on!
Thanks, Linda! I am so excited about this. I didn't have any trouble getting the rhythm down. She is a little tight still, and I haven't oiled the irons either yet. I anticipate I will love sewing on her....cardiac exercise and sewing in one!! What could be better! :-)
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM

I am learning to love my tan 301a as equally as my black 301. I have had the black one since around March and it was love at first stitch! It only took a little minor work to get a decent tension and I love the way she sounds and how fast she goes!

I bought the tan one a couple of months ago with a couple of 500 series machines. The tan one has given me fits with the tension and I have just not bonded so well with her. Day before yesterday I decided that i was gonna put tan girl in my cabinet and play a little more with her. And if possible, use her to do up a few easy blocks. Didnt expect greatness, just good enoughness :). So, for whatever reason I guess the stars were aligned right or something...tan girl just started sewing...right :). She has a decent tension and she's got that sweet "sound" that is now the same as the black beauty that I love so much!

I have been considering getting the tan girl painted but was afraid I would spend all that money then still not fall in love with her stitching. Oh yeah, I think now she is definately going to become a sparkling red jewel someday soon :)

I am SO happy with these two machines!

I have a couple quilts to bind then post the pics in the "made on vintage machines" thread. They were totally pieced and will be bound with the 301's
Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

Its amazing sometimes how the tiniest of things can make such and issue. I have a Juki TL98Q on a frame and I quilted a quilt and was working on another one and was having a terrible time with the tension not being "just right". Was so frustrated because I had done several others just fine a couple of months ago. did everything I could think of to fix the issue to no avail. The other day like a freaking light bulb going off I decided to try flipping the direction of the bobbin :shock: :oops:

Needless to say all is well in my quilting world now :mrgreen:
That is so true!! I can't count the number of times I have had tension or other problems, so just unthreaded the machine, rethreaded, and all was well!! Fussy things, aren't they??? LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by greenini
Originally Posted by quiltmouse
Singer Slant new walking foot $12.75 ship $1.95 3 avail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Not now, he's down to 1, I just bought one and so did someone else! Thanks, I couldn't resist, wasn't sure I needed one, but guess I did!
I've been told that most walking feet for 301's need to be "modified". True??

Candace, the replacement part that I bought did not work at all. I looked around and found original parts. Did you recieve your bobbin case and have you used her yet?

Penni, I did receive my bobbin case via ebay, finally. The seller took a long time to send it. But, I didn't look in the attachments well enough as I saw a few bobbins and thought I was set....Nope, the bobbins are not for a 301! So, I had to order bobbins. They should be here in a few days. The bobbin case I bought is an original, so it should work. I've not left feedback for the seller yet and if it for some reason doesn't work, I'm sending it back.

Was it a replacement bobbin case that you purchased and it didn't work?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by OWALK718

Not now, he's down to 1, I just bought one and so did someone else! Thanks, I couldn't resist, wasn't sure I needed one, but guess I did!

I think you're correct - if you go to http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-Slant-Shank-Even-feed-Walking-Foot-301-301A-SCF301WF.htm, Jenny has a walking foot for the 301/301A
Right...this is why I'm hesitant to buy a slant shank walking foot. If I do, I will buy it from a site where they're tested.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Candace, Nice machine! Are you a member of the Gold Country Treadleon group? There is a gathering September 10th. This machine would be fun to show off at the event- at least I would love to see your machine.

Another CA folks on this board planning to show at the GCTOGA ? I went to the MINI TOGA in June and had a blast! There were some gorgeous machines that were shown along with quilting projects.

Monica, I am hoping to be able to go, and Quiltncowgirl had said she would like to go, too. I am hoping to get my DH interested enough in the vintage/antique machines so that he will start learning to work on them....this could be our retirement business!! But I am sure he won't come to this TOGA...maybe next Spring.
Wow, that makes 4 of us from this shop going in September to the TOGA! Maybe 5 is Candace comes?

Monica, myself, Kathie, Janice, and Sheryl! This is going to be fun!~

Nancy
I just got a 66-1 Red eye treadle. I still have to clean her up, get a new belt for the treadle, and restore the parlor cabinet. Anyway I am new to the board, but I will be going to the TOGA. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Anamaria
Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine

Candace, the replacement part that I bought did not work at all. I looked around and found original parts. Did you recieve your bobbin case and have you used her yet?

Was it a replacement bobbin case that you purchased and it didn't work?
I have original bobbin cases, the bobbins are the same as a featherweight. It was the walking foot that was not an original one. I found the right one and I just love this machine!!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Which walking foot did you get?