Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Originally Posted by mountain deb
Speaking of vintage, I saw a late 1800's wilson and gibbs sewing machine in wonderful cabinet for $500.00 yesterday. They had to remove me from it due to the drooling. haha
See you're from WV too. Where did you see a gem like that?

Cindy
I saw it in the Heirloom Emporium in Strasburg, VA. It had a appraised value of $800.00 on it marked down to $500.00 along with some details about the machine and its origins. Now I wished I got a pic of it to put on here.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Suzi
There really is nothing like piecing on a treadle - it just makes me smile the whole time!!!
I agree! Very calming!!! -Something about the magic of the vintage machines, a feeling of peace.
Well, I started my very first quilt on my treadle 66-1 today. It is working so nicely....about 15 minutes into sewing the old belt broke. I put on the new one, and finding it stiff and slips some. I tightened it up, and it is sewing better, but still slips some and seems like the belt is stiff. Am I correct? It needs to soften up? Anyway, I LOVE the feeling of the treadle, and my seam is just wonderful!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Suzi
There really is nothing like piecing on a treadle - it just makes me smile the whole time!!!
I agree! Very calming!!! -Something about the magic of the vintage machines, a feeling of peace.
Well, I started my very first quilt on my treadle 66-1 today. It is working so nicely....about 15 minutes into sewing the old belt broke. I put on the new one, and finding it stiff and slips some. I tightened it up, and it is sewing better, but still slips some and seems like the belt is stiff. Am I correct? It needs to soften up? Anyway, I LOVE the feeling of the treadle, and my seam is just wonderful!
Janice,

After a day or so the belt will need to be shorten a bit. That is why I like to use dental floss to sew the belts together.
Before attaching the leather belt, I try to stretch it, but that doesn't always work well. I have found that as your treadle the belts loosen up and need adjusting.

The other day while I was using my Davis NVF, I realized that the belt was slipping and that belt had been on the machine for a couple of months now.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM

I am looking at a Wheeler & Wilson D9. What should I watch out for. It is missing the front slide plate is this part replacable? Are parts and needles available for this machine. What is a fair price range?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Ken,
The front plate is tough to find but findable. MY1014 industrial needle works well as a replacement for obsolete original and is recommended by many. Make sure your machine has enough bobbins for you as these are very scarce though I heard someone say they used featherweight bobbins with success though I've never tried them. I've seen machines heads sell for $20 and up on ebay plus shipping and demand seems light. Craigslist seems to bring around $100 or so with treadle in my area (NJ) and they arn't all that common here. How much you pay will depend on looks and luck. Around here and I suspect most places it's a buyers market.
Happy hunting
Jon
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
What do you make of this machine? I like the Cinderella's, but it seems to be missing something...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Also, finally found a Jones with the blue/green decal in the US - but the price is as high as the UK one was with the shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jones-CS-Han...ht_4878wt_1017
I have a machine that looks just like the Cinderella only the name on mine is Dynamic. She is a little thing but weights a lot. The whole cover comes off so you can get to the insides of the machine. Opens right up. I sewed on my and she sounds tinny. But works a lot like the Singer 99's. Mine has the pretty little flowers on it.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by KenZ
I am looking at a Wheeler & Wilson D9. What should I watch out for. It is missing the front slide plate is this part replacable? Are parts and needles available for this machine. What is a fair price range?
Ken, the W&W 9's are great machines. There are enough of them out there that you should be able to find the replacement slide plate, but you will have to watch e-bay or look for a parts machine to get that part. The needles are a little pricey, I have a whole stash I bought off of e-bay as a lot of people here did too. The original needles are 127 X 1's or Boye 18, which are readily available on E-bay. There is an industrial needle that is suppose to work, but I have not tried it - don't need it. Good luck.

Nancy
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 AM

Someone beat me to this beautiful little lady!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230664472478
I should remind myself that it is the machine that has a way of finding the new steward.

The machines are like lost souls...somehow they find us.
Monica, I haven't been keeping up with the shop much lately, too busy with company! Anyway, love your Blog and the sewing machine cover!

Nancy
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Color me envious!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'd love to have one. Can see DH's face though when I mention it.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

who was looking for an old turquoise white?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bar/2584351797.html