Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

It all depends. I paid a lot but both the machine and cabinet were exactly like I wanted plus it was in very good shape.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962]
Originally Posted by grayhare
Originally Posted by melinda1962

Very nice! I remember shopping at Mongomery Wards when I was young.
OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:
Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by mom2boys
Where is a good place to buy bobbins for a 221 Featherweight?

Thanks
Ginger
Same place as the darning foot for the slant needles. April1930sshoppe.com Her bobbins are repros, but they aren't bad. She may have some originals, but I wonder how much they'd be. She has a vintage Penquin walking foot for a FW for $600.
Also at sew-classic.com. They have just about eveything April1930s does, and some at better price. Be sure you check both.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Finally got photos of the Davis VF...hopefully he'll accept my offer, the cabinet has seen better days, but think it'll clean up nicely!
Nice, Charlee!! I'm looking for one, but they're as scarce as hen's teeth down here!! I've only seen 1, and the person wanted $500 and said not a penny less.....dreamer!!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 PM

I won a 15 clone on shopgoodwill.com on Friday, and can't wait to get it home. It says Sew Ezy or something like that. I didn't look at it today! :-)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM

[quote=jljack][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962][quote=grayhare]

Very nice! I remember shopping at Mongomery Wards when I was young.
OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
I do,I do!!
We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Can someone tell me if there is a darning foot for the 401A machines? I'd really like to use this one as my FMQ but a darning foot was not included in the "box". I'd sure buy one from someone, or if you know of a different foot to use. Any info?? Site?? Seller???
The 401 is a slant needle like the 301, right? I bought my FMQ foot from april1930sshoppe. It was a lttle expensive ($18.95 w/no shipping), but it works well. When AnnieRose and I went to a class at the LQS, which is also a Janome dealership, the instructor liked mine better than anything they sold.
I got one ordered from April1930sshoppe and it was free shipping!!! Can't wait to get it...end of week most likely!!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Ok you guys it has been brought to my attention that wood pitmans were made for the treadles into the 1930's? I always thought, I think Billy says so too? - that a wood pitman is an indication of a pre 1900 machine. Now I know there were probably cases where a pitman got broken, bent, etc., and some enterprising person replaced the damaged one with a wood pitman. My question is do any of you have any knowledge of treadles made in the 20th century with wood pitmans? I have not seen a treadle with a wood pitman dated after 1900. Do any of you have a treadle with a wood pitman dated after 1900?

Nancy

PS Charlee, I love the Davis - I hope you get it!

Nancy
Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 PM

I finally started disassembling my Vintage 66 today. Got the face place, presser bar & lever, tension assembly, fly wheel, and bobbin winder all off and are all sitting in marked baggies with WD40. Had a heck of a time with some of the pieces, especially the bobbin winder. Sometimes I would remove two pieces only to discover there was a spring between them and the spring fell out before I could see how it was supposed to go in. I see where they go and how, but two of the springs fit into holes and there was a choice of holes to fit it into.

Also, on the bobbin winder is a rim of what I think was leather (the part that would "feel" the bobbin). The leather (or whatever it was) is shot and I'll need to replace it. Is this an easy part to find and replace?

Got oodles of pic's during the process ... so I'm confident that I'll be able to put it all back together again.

Did not get the bobbin plate off, didn't have the right size screw driver (need a short stubby one or a very long one) to get the two screws out. And UGH! The bobbin still had thread in it, like 7 DIFFERENT threads one on top of the other!! Honestly ... did people really do that??

Other than that, things went very well and hubby was surprised that I did it myself (Ok - he had to remove ONE stubborn screw for me!). And I tested WD40 on the decal area in the back and looks OK so I don't have to worry about that.

He's been working on the cabinet and treadle irons. So far all the irons are removed and most of them have been sand blasted. One of them (the foot plate) has been repainted.

Getting exciting!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I sent them an e-mail on Friday, they answered me last night with some vague answer and saying to visit the page where you can put in the serial number & get a certificate, or e-mail or call customer service.

I answered them back telling them that was not a good answer, and we need access to the lists of dates/models for us collectors when we are out shopping at flea markets and/or antique shops and/or yard sales. I told them they are not providing good customer sevice for their loyal owners.
Maybe Singer thinks buying vintage machines from yard sales and flea markets isn't being a loyal customer- owner, yes; customer, no.

For some reason, I believe they would rather see us buy the crappy plastic machines over the durable vintage ladies and gents.

I wish Singer would change that page because I really don't need a pretty piece of paper, a certificate from 2011, to tell me that I'm the new steward...now maybe down the road the next steward would like that paper for record. For now, I would rather have the deleted information: manufacture site, model, how many made,etc.

Hopefully, Singer is updating files and will have a better formatted page for us to use.