Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 AM

Could the powers that be allow you to scan and download that as a thread within the Vintage machine forum for us to access directly?? The info access is ongoing and it's not fair to you to have to look up for each one of us as we continue acquiring more machines. Don't know if thats possible... just a thought.

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by buslady
WOW! Am I dense or what!? I have looked up several machines over the past couple of weeks and thought that because they were pre 1900 I just wasn't getting all the information. Just realized this morning, after reading all the posts, that Singer had removed them from the site. I went strait to the contact us spot and shot them off a nice note. In the meantime, if anyone had downloaded that infomation and is willing to share, please PM me, I have 3 new/old machines I would like infomation on. TIA
I didn't save the PDF's I actually printed out the whole thing so I could have a notebook to take along on my hunts. I you PM me with your numbers, I'll do my best to provide you with the info on your machines.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
Could the powers that be allow you to scan and download that as a thread within the Vintage machine forum for us to access directly?? The info access is ongoing and it's not fair to you to have to look up for each one of us as we continue acquiring more machines. Don't know if thats possible... just a thought.

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by buslady
WOW! Am I dense or what!? I have looked up several machines over the past couple of weeks and thought that because they were pre 1900 I just wasn't getting all the information. Just realized this morning, after reading all the posts, that Singer had removed them from the site. I went strait to the contact us spot and shot them off a nice note. In the meantime, if anyone had downloaded that infomation and is willing to share, please PM me, I have 3 new/old machines I would like infomation on. TIA
I didn't save the PDF's I actually printed out the whole thing so I could have a notebook to take along on my hunts. I you PM me with your numbers, I'll do my best to provide you with the info on your machines.
There are way too many pages to do that. I'd never get it done. We are talking a 2" looseleaf notebook full. Sorry
Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 AM

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Davis VF is MINE!!!!!! They accepted my offer of.... $50!! I'll get in touch with the lady that has it later today and make arrangements to pick up the machine either this evening or tomorrow morning!!

~spinning in my chair~ YEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :lol:
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
I won a 15 clone on shopgoodwill.com on Friday, and can't wait to get it home. It says Sew Ezy or something like that. I didn't look at it today! :-)
Congrats!!!! You got your 15 and a clone one at that!!! What ya going to call it? Ezzy, Sewzy...
I looked at the pic again, and it does say Sew Ezy...So, I kinda like the Sewzy (pronounced Suzy?). I'll have to ask my grandaughter what she thinks, since she already named my FW.

I got out the 1950 128 yesterday and messed around with it. She was bone dry, so I oiled and oiled and turned the handwheel. The electric cords are good, so I plugged her in and she ran OK, good stitch, but still really noisy and "gummy" feeling. I'll let the oil sit for a couple of days and run her again. She has the shuttle bobbin, so I had to get out the instructions to see how to do it. Never did one before....quite an experience!!

I got out my 99 handcrank (new handcrank conversion) to try to find the "rubbing" sound. It was the front edge of the face plate pushed in slightly, and the takeup lever was rubbing it near the bottom of each stroke. So I used a small screwdriver to put some pressure on the edge of the faceplate, and it straightened right out. No more rubbing, and it runs so quiet it's amazing!! I sewed on her last night for a while...great!!

Then....I got brave and got out my ruffler for my 301, and tried that. It worked!! Amazing! Can you oil the attachments? The ruffler seems like it's really stiff. I have to read up on all the other adjusting pieces on it, too, because the 2nd time I put it on it didn't work the same...??? Anyway, it's really cool!!

Way fun weekend!! Playing with the machines, cleaning them, oiling and running them. Checking everything out....I'm loving this!! :-)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM

:) Isn't it fun Janice?

And yes. Oil the ruffler. ;)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by chergram
I have a chance to buy a treddle machine can any one tell me how much they are going for the person wants me to make offer and i would like to know how much people are paying for them thanks
I got my Honeymoon in a cabinet for $25 and the 1925 Singer in a cabinet for $26. Depends on where you are and who else is looking. And with a bit of cleaning I think both will work

Exciting!!! Please put up pics.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM

[quote=GrannieAnnie][quote=jljack][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=grayhare][quote=melinda1962]
Originally Posted by grayhare
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by melinda1962

Very nice! I remember shopping at Mongomery Wards when I was young.
OMG! I remember going with my dad; he would go pick up a part or something there. While he was purchasing the item, I would be over in the vacuum area watching the beach ball stay up in the air. lol
We didn't have Montgomery Wards or the catalog where I lived. We had a little J. C. Penny store & their catalog and just a Sears catalog. Oh the wonders to behold!!! My Grandma would play a game with me. She would pretend to give me $100 and tell me I had to make out the order form and order anything I wanted and get it close to $100 and spend it all on myself. WOW! I spent hours dreaming and drooling!!! I could do it all again.... probably in different parts of the catalog though... We had a small town J C Penny and it had some clothes and some appliances etc. BUT I can remember going to Sears in the city - now that was a true treat - it was in one of those old huge stand alone red brick buildings - every nook and cranny full of delightful stuff. AND they had fabric you could touch and buy!!! That's where my clothes mostly came from - shoes too. Oh the smells!

For a while there was a MW distribution center with an outlet in Cincinnati. What fun! All the rejects, returns and broken stuff... It's probably been gone for 25 or 30 years by now - when ever MW went under.
Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:
Our Sears still had some candy and stuff----------in the tool department
Yes, I remember that the candy counter was near the tools section, near an outside door. That's about all I remember about it, except that I clearly recall the popcorn smell!! I always ran towards the source of that smell in anticipation of a bag of popcorn!! I loved it as a kid!! :-)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Davis VF is MINE!!!!!! They accepted my offer of.... $50!! I'll get in touch with the lady that has it later today and make arrangements to pick up the machine either this evening or tomorrow morning!!

~spinning in my chair~ YEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :lol:

CONGRATS!!!!!! You are going to love that machine!!!
And great deal!! I'm always so excited when someone gets a Davis VF. Great machine for binding work!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by jljack
I sent them an e-mail on Friday, they answered me last night with some vague answer and saying to visit the page where you can put in the serial number & get a certificate, or e-mail or call customer service.

I answered them back telling them that was not a good answer, and we need access to the lists of dates/models for us collectors when we are out shopping at flea markets and/or antique shops and/or yard sales. I told them they are not providing good customer sevice for their loyal owners.
Maybe Singer thinks buying vintage machines from yard sales and flea markets isn't being a loyal customer- owner, yes; customer, no.

For some reason, I believe they would rather see us buy the crappy plastic machines over the durable vintage ladies and gents.

I wish Singer would change that page because I really don't need a pretty piece of paper, a certificate from 2011, to tell me that I'm the new steward...now maybe down the road the next steward would like that paper for record. For now, I would rather have the deleted information: manufacture site, model, how many made,etc.

Hopefully, Singer is updating files and will have a better formatted page for us to use.
Hopefully the next step for them will not be charging for that pretty piece of paper telling you you are the new steward!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by heljoy50
Today I was given a New Century hand crank sewing machine. It has the Serial #1647966. I will post a photo of it. I have not been able to find any information on it. It is in a case with a wood top.
I think that is a Davis; if not, then a National. Looks more like a Davis.