Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I am so stinkin' excited about the Davis...it'll come home with me tomorrow morning! :) I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to find needles for it...I *think* it's a VF-1, but not positive. The machine belonged to the woman's mother, and the woman I'm getting it from is 82 years old. She can remember "Sitting at mother's side as she sewed my clothes, and I so hated them! They were always too big, so I could grow into them."
I can't wait to talk to her more tomorrow...such a fun thing to buy a machine with HISTORY behind it! :)

Second good thing to happen today? I got another Picot Hemstitcher in the mail today. (snuck in a low bid on ebay and WON! :) ) It should fit my 99, so now have to get the 99 up and running! :lol:
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I am so stinkin' excited about the Davis...it'll come home with me tomorrow morning! :) I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to find needles for it...I *think* it's a VF-1, but not positive. The machine belonged to the woman's mother, and the woman I'm getting it from is 82 years old. She can remember "Sitting at mother's side as she sewed my clothes, and I so hated them! They were always too big, so I could grow into them."
I can't wait to talk to her more tomorrow...such a fun thing to buy a machine with HISTORY behind it! :)

Second good thing to happen today? I got another Picot Hemstitcher in the mail today. (snuck in a low bid on ebay and WON! :) ) It should fit my 99, so now have to get the 99 up and running! :lol:
Congrats on the Davis and hemstitcher. Sounds lilke a great story behind the machine. My mom would make our clothes to fit right when she made them, and I was lucky because I had a big sister, so when I outgrew mine, I had hers to grow into. My mom had one sister who had four daughters, and did not sew, so my mom got to make 6 corduroy jumpers at a time sometimes.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:49 PM

Okay, I'm not very good at computers, but I figured something out; how to get the Singer serial registration numbers/information. I had saved the G series, here is the link http://www.singerco.com/uploads/asse...NGER_G_nos.pdf
Then just change the G to what ever series you are looking for (enter) it will pull it up. I tried the AA series and it worked. Let me know if it works for everyone. I hope it makes sense. :)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Okay, I'm not very good at computers, but I figured something out; how to get the Singer serial registration numbers/information. I had saved the G series, here is the link http://www.singerco.com/uploads/asse...NGER_G_nos.pdf
If you copy that into the http address bar (don't know if that is the correct terminology) Then just change the G to what ever series you are looking for (enter) it will pull it up. I tried the AA series and it worked. Let me know if it works for everyone. I hope it makes sense. :)
I SO want to HUG THE STUFFIN out of you!!! Thank you so much!! :)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Then just change the G to what ever series you are looking for (enter) it will pull it up. I tried the AA series and it worked. Let me know if it works for everyone. I hope it makes sense. :)
OHHHH!! I want to hug you! Thanks! It works!!!!

Thank you Anamarie!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OHHHH!! I want to hug you! Thanks! It works!!!!

Thank you Anamarie!
Bless you! I replaced the "G" with "AN" and it worked! Now I can find out the birthdate of my 603 - hopefully I will get some hope to get it to sew! (Yes, I know there are other machines - I have them.) This is another one to save in my pages!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM

HELP!! I had posted this question but haven't seen any comments yet.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Also, on the bobbin winder is a rim of what I think was leather (the part that would "feel" the bobbin). The leather (or whatever it was) is shot and I'll need to replace it. Is this an easy part to find and replace?
Also ... I now have the needle plate off and the bobbin case, but wondering how far do I disassemble the entire bobbin area? I don't think the user of the of the machine had EVER cleaned the bobbin area.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Thank you Thank you. I tried it and it worked for me too! You are just way to smart. LOL

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by chergram
I have a chance to buy a treddle machine can any one tell me how much they are going for the person wants me to make offer and i would like to know how much people are paying for them thanks
I got my Honeymoon in a cabinet for $25 and the 1925 Singer in a cabinet for $26. Depends on where you are and who else is looking. And with a bit of cleaning I think both will work
Both are here somewhere! I started stripping the Singer cabinet today---pics under PICTURES. but I need rubber gloves before I do any more.
Exciting!!! Please put up pics.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Congratulations Charlee on the Davis machine and the history that will come with it. We have one that looks just like that and came from the daughter of the orginial owner as well. It has a production number under the bobbin plate engraved into the machine # 528.Last pat. date is 1876. Look at your machine when you get it to see if there is a number engraved into it.