Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1344 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 344 844 1244 1294 1334 1343 1344 1345 1354 1394 1444 ... LastLast
Results 33,576 to 33,600 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I was at a sale that a friend was having yesterday. She had lots of antiques and fabric this sewing machine. I knew from the minute I laid eyes on her, she was going home with me. She is a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size. I brought her home and she sews just great but needs a cleaning. Alex of
    www.Sewalot.com calls her the "Half size Half Pint Wheeler & Wilson 9". I have never seen one like her. She is very close in size to a Singer Featherweight, but weighs 20 pounds. The throad width is the same as a FW but the throat height is almost 2" higher. I am fascinated by her. Could this have been the idea that inspired the Featherweight after Singer bought Wheeler Wilson out in 1905? I don't have a firm date on her, but probably 1901 to 1905 is very close.

Texas Jan
    Adorable machine Jan!! Love it!

Candace, Thank you for that great info on nylon threads. You just saved me. I was going to buy a bunch of nylon embroidery thread. I'll now look for the poly thread.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Viscose is rayon and yes, it's not a strong thread at all. Really, any area that is going to be in contact with a chair or rubbing shouldn't be embroidered with it. (Like jeans pockets, sorry to say!) I have a good example, one lady spent hours and hours doing beautiful embroidery on her skirt and soon began to notice areas on her skirt had lots of thread breakage. Guess where those areas were? ;> I'm actually phasing out all of my rayon and not buying it anymore(this includes Sulky). I'm only buying polyester embroidery thread now, like Isacord. Rayon is also not colorfast in the wash using any kind of bleach product. Young mothers with babies bleach their clothes and blankets a lot and all that fancy embroidery may end up stained and or different colors.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Cathy, rayon thread does have uses. For sheen and shine, it's a great thread. I wouldn't hesitate using it on items not worn and washed frequently. Like on wedding dresses, specialty garments etc. I sure wouldn't use it for FMQ quilting (strength issues) or in areas of wear. I still have a bunch of it I'm trying to use up. Right now, I'm using it for raw edge applique on areas of quilts that are mainly wall hangings and the occasional t-shirt embroidery. And that is fine... really it depends on the use. But, for me it's much easier just to have poly embroidery thread so I don't have to put too much thought into every project. Just my opinion of course!

Candace,

The decorative stitching my wife was doing was on shopping bags made from old jeans. Some of them she makes plain, some are lined, and some are fancy.

But considering what you said, I doubt we'll buy any more.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Kathie,

Beautiful machine (Red Eye) . You will love sewing on it. This happens to be one of my favorite machines to use along with the lotus .
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Hope everyone has come through the storms ok. I see where they have really been bad.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    How hard is it to fix the tension adjuster on a White Series 77 machine? I am considering purchasing this machine. It comes with all of the attachments, manual, etc. but she said the tension adjuster doesn't work quite right. I am thinking it just needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Asking $45 and comes with cabinet.

Really interested in this old Franklin. The owner didn't know where to look for the serial number and I don't have a clue what to tell her.

I value any of your opinions. I haven't purchased a vintage machine in well over a year. Pretty sure a fever has hit me
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Candace,

The decorative stitching my wife was doing was on shopping bags made from old jeans. Some of them she makes plain, some are lined, and some are fancy.

But considering what you said, I doubt we'll buy any more.

Joe
    Then it should hold up just fine. The local, big box stores typically only carry Rayon embroidery thread. I have to mail order mine (Isacord) or buy it from a sewing machine store. I would also feel comfortable using rayon on towels etc. that aren't being bleached.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    How hard is it to fix the tension adjuster on a White Series 77 machine? I am considering purchasing this machine. It comes with all of the attachments, manual, etc. but she said the tension adjuster doesn't work quite right. I am thinking it just needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Asking $45 and comes with cabinet.

Really interested in this old Franklin. The owner didn't know where to look for the serial number and I don't have a clue what to tell her.

I value any of your opinions. I haven't purchased a vintage machine in well over a year. Pretty sure a fever has hit me
    I have that same White 77. Kind of hard to see in the photo, but it looks like the tensioner may be missing pieces. I'd ask for a close up photo to see.

Blog Entries
    I have that same White 77. Kind of hard to see in the photo, but it looks like the tensioner may be missing pieces. I'd ask for a close up photo to see.

Thanks Candace. How well does your machine sew? Would there be parts available if it is missing some of them?

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Thanks Candace. How well does your machine sew? Would there be parts available if it is missing some of them?
    It's got a nice stitch. Straight stitch only, of course. However, it is heavy. Ask about the serial # as there are lightweight versions of the 77 that were cast in magnesium and are more desirable. If it's the magnesium version the serial number will begin with MG. Mine is just the normal, heavy as sin version:> I've not seen parts for these readily available. I've been looking for a case and foot control for mine for a while with no luck. Mine is in the table with knee control and I'd prefer it in a case. Cases for these square, rotary machines aren't easy to come by. It seems these machines last forever and there are very few donor machines. There are some clones of this machine on the market made by Domestic and others, but the tension knobs may or may not be different colors.

Candace,

We just made a run to JoAnns and bought some thread. My wife found some polyester C&C in some real bright orange. We've used some of this before in other colors so it should work .... I hope.

SewExtreamSeams,
    I don't know anything about the White Rotary, but that cabinet is to drool for ...... yum yum.

The Franklin was introduced by Sears in 1911, and is a copy of the Singer Mdl 27 made by Domestic. It is a converted treadle machine. It takes regular 15x1 needles and uses Singer 27 shuttles and bobbins.
    Mine sews beautifully although being a shuttle machine it vibrates a lot and is noisy as can be. Especially since the Parlor Cabinet magnifies the sound.
    If you can get it cheep enough it would be a good deal. Me, I wouldn't pay more than $25.00 for it and that might be more than a lot of folks would pay.

Joe

I don't use C&C, but it should hold fine for you.

As for the White 77, maybe that tensioner is just really dirty. I pulled mine out today to compare and it's possible it just needs a heavy duty cleaning.

Blog Entries
    I posted a new thread here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5147053

John Langdon is looking for help with compiling a database for dating our Wheeler & Wilson D9 and Singer 9W machines... please post to the thread if you have one! (Texas Jan, we *really* need the info on your new girl!! )
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Joe, thanks for the info. Everything on the white looks pristine in the photo so I will probably take a look at it and see what I can determine is the problem.

I am definitely going to look at the Franklin tomorrow. It is not in a cabinet and doesn't come with anything. If I get it, it will my grungiest vintage purchase that I have ever made. I guess it just looks like a good challenge to me. If nothing else, maybe it will be a nice show piece on one of my shelves.

Thanks again Candace for all of your help.

Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I posted a new thread here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5147053

John Langdon is looking for help with compiling a database for dating our Wheeler & Wilson D9 and Singer 9W machines... please post to the thread if you have one! (Texas Jan, we *really* need the info on your new girl!! )
    Who is John Langdon? He's not the dude that designs the ambigrams? I have a Singer 9W that I will post.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure Monica, I've never seen one of the newsletters! (I keep meaning to join....one of these days I will!)
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'm not sure Monica, I've never seen one of the newsletters! (I keep meaning to join....one of these days I will!)
    I haven't joined either. I'm having a difficult time just keeping up with this place and getting quilting done.

Joe, thanks for the info. Everything on the white looks pristine in the photo so I will probably take a look at it and see what I can determine is the problem.

I am definitely going to look at the Franklin tomorrow. It is not in a cabinet and doesn't come with anything. If I get it, it will my grungiest vintage purchase that I have ever made. I guess it just looks like a good challenge to me. If nothing else, maybe it will be a nice show piece on one of my shelves.

Thanks again Candace for all of your help.
    I have a white 77. it is a solid machine. I rewired mine, as I didn't like the foot controller. Actually, I TRIED to re wire it, and then Mizkaki came over and rescued me in about 3 minutes. I failed to take picture of the wiring before removing it, certain that I would remember how it went. You can stop laughing anytime, now. This machine had really grungy tension plates. At first I thought it was rust, but after taking it apart I fund it was stuck together with dried oil. weird, but true.

I have just finished my second machine using Skipper's tutorial on French polish. It is amazing. It is hard to get a meaningful photo of the change, but in person it is really a stunning difference. Completely worth doing. Maybe this Franklin, as your most grungy, would be a good candidate? Laura

Blog Entries
    There is a good possibility my Vindex Special will star in a play, Fiddler on the Roof. Do you think it is a good choice for the poor tailor? I still have to put the stitch length knob on it, put it back in the base and put a belt on it. I just hope they don't have to change sets quickly. LOL... Heavy metal. The Vindex Special looks pretty good after the Glenn Treatment and getting re-assembled.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    http://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/2960383483.html too bad this one is so far away..... I like the cabinet...

Miriam,

Joey likes that one. Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish, but not to be. It does answer a question I posted a week or so ago. I'll go pull up that thread later and post on it again.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Miriam,

Joey likes that one. Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish, but not to be. It does answer a question I posted a week or so ago. I'll go pull up that thread later and post on it again.

Joe
    Joe, I wish I could do that road trip. I really like that set up. I hope somebody here will fetch it.

Blog Entries
    I'll post to the site later today. Maybe he will have some info on little Half Pint.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Then it should hold up just fine. The local, big box stores typically only carry Rayon embroidery thread. I have to mail order mine (Isacord) or buy it from a sewing machine store. I would also feel comfortable using rayon on towels etc. that aren't being bleached.
    I agree with Candace on the rayon thread. Candace I have bought almost every shade of Isacord from Meissners in Folsom. I bet the store down near Arden mall has it too. I love the Isacord - I started using it when my embroidery machine kept refusing to sew with other brands of embroidery thread - love the stuff!

Joe, the reason I asked about the thread weight it just looking at the photos makes it look like the thread your wife is using is a heavier weight thread. When I buy my fancy jeans, the decorative thread on them has to be 30 weight or heavier. I haven't been able to find thread like that unless I get upholstery thread. I have taken the inseam apart to open up a leg on jeans to embroider flowers on the leg, but never tried to go through more than a single layer. I am inspired to try embroidering around the pockets after seeing those photos! You know those really nice jeans with the glitz all over the pockets run around $100 a pair! I just might start getting plain jeans and doing the decorating myself! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 04-17-2012 at 05:42 AM.