Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1343 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 343 843 1243 1293 1333 1342 1343 1344 1353 1393 1443 ... LastLast
Results 33,551 to 33,575 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Color me green with envy!!!!!
    Color me Incredibly lucky!!! (I just love miniature type things anyway)

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Oh, I won't need to buy any new tools.... My favorite screw driver was stolen a few years ago. It was one an old sewing machine repair man ground at a slight angle for doing the throat plates. I LOVED that thing. It was long and skinny. I'm somewhat of a tool freak too. I could spend some time looking at tools.

Lights drive me crazy. The light bulbs these days don't cut it. I have an old clamp light (a reject from somewhere...) and an old photography lamp with the things that flip around (get in the way). Phil had pity on me for Christmas and bought a couple LED lamps and a tiny flash light with a goose neck. Love that thing.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I was at a sale that a friend was having yesterday. She had lots of antiques and fabric this sewing machine. I knew from the minute I laid eyes on her, she was going home with me. She is a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size. I brought her home and she sews just great but needs a cleaning. Alex of
    www.Sewalot.com calls her the "Half size Half Pint Wheeler & Wilson 9". I have never seen one like her. She is very close in size to a Singer Featherweight, but weighs 20 pounds. The throad width is the same as a FW but the throat height is almost 2" higher. I am fascinated by her. Could this have been the idea that inspired the Featherweight after Singer bought Wheeler Wilson out in 1905? I don't have a firm date on her, but probably 1901 to 1905 is very close.

Texas Jan
    OMG Jan! I am green green green with envy!!! I have never seen one of those! Geeze, now I am going to go crazy trying to find one for ME!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Jan, Your new find, is a GEM of a FIND!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing with us. Most likely, the majority of us will never see a "half pint" W&W 9; so, it is very nice to see a photo of one. Also nice to know that you are the new steward of this gem. That is one cool looking machine!!! Have fun with that vintage beauty!

Blog Entries
    Boy Jan you really found a special machine here. Now we are all looking for one
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Jan, Your new find, is a GEM of a FIND!! Congrats! Thanks for sharing with us. Most likely, the majority of us will never see a "half pint" W&W 9; so, it is very nice to see a photo of one. Also nice to know that you are the new steward of this gem. That is one cool looking machine!!! Have fun with that vintage beauty!
    I'm glad I have it so I can share her here online. Never realized she was rare when I got her. I knew she was awfully cute though. Gonna be real careful with her.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Boy Jan you really found a special machine here. Now we are all looking for one
    There is another style of the half pint that the base is only made to be a hand crank. It can't fit in a treadle. Must be some of them around.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Texas Jan, your Wheeler Wilson is pretty cool. And, CD, I love your fiddle head handcrank! Wow on both machines.

I wish I could have brought home new macines today. Instead I ran into problems with my FW and my 301. Both are waiting for me to get back to them. Needed a break. Maybe tomorrow things will 'click' together, better.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

That W&W looks like such an interesting machine, especially next to the FW. The lines are so similar. The FW always seemed so much more "squarish" than other Singers. Interesting!

I ran across something yesterday (not sure if it's been posted--haven't been on the board as much lately) that has certainly helped me, since I am now the proud owner of a frozen black 301 long bed! A 301 adjusters manual is online at Scribd. You can view it for free, but can't download unless you are a member (subscription fee) or are able to upload something in return. Singer 301 adjusters manual.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Bennett, I believe these manuals are also available via on the vintagesinger yahoo site.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I was at a sale that a friend was having yesterday. She had lots of antiques and fabric this sewing machine. I knew from the minute I laid eyes on her, she was going home with me. She is a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size. I brought her home and she sews just great but needs a cleaning. Alex of
    www.Sewalot.com calls her the "Half size Half Pint Wheeler & Wilson 9". I have never seen one like her. She is very close in size to a Singer Featherweight, but weighs 20 pounds. The throad width is the same as a FW but the throat height is almost 2" higher. I am fascinated by her. Could this have been the idea that inspired the Featherweight after Singer bought Wheeler Wilson out in 1905? I don't have a firm date on her, but probably 1901 to 1905 is very close.

Texas Jan

Jan, that is an awesome machine!! She is soo beautiful! love her size!!

My "new" baby.

I got her from a friend at work. The machine and cabinet are in really good condition. Plus she and her husband delivered her to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathie

I keep seeing that group mentioned, but I haven't made my way over there yet. I really need to check it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnana2000 View Post
    I got her from a friend at work. The machine and cabinet are in really good condition. Plus she and her husband delivered her to me.
    That is one mighty pretty baby!! Congrats!!

Texas Jan

Tension troubles w/ our 401A

We have a slant stitch monogrammer that I wanted to try. Since our 401 has a needle plate lift lever I thought it would be simple to try it on that machine.
    I hooked it up and got to trying it out. But I had problems from the start. As I was trying to figure the thing out I realized the top tension was way tight. I could not reduce it. It didn't take long to see that the presser foot was not releasing the tension. It had worked just the other day when my wife put some decorative stitches on some jeans pockets so I knew something had gone wrong.

I woke up feeling real bad today so I said, I don't have the patience right now I'll do it later.
    Not long after that my wife called to me and said something to the effect she'd removed the tensioner. I asked her if she'd unscrewed the set screw and she said "no, it just came out." I said, "no, no, that's not the way it's supposed to work".

To make a long story short I got back to it and looked inside the hole the tensioner fits in. I saw some shiny silver bits. Then I had an epiphany. When I had originally cleaned this machine I had to remove the tensioner to clean the area around it. It wouldn't go back in the I thought it should, but it did work.
    I removed the long set screw cleaned and oiled it and put it back in snugly.

Today I removed the set screw (first pic) and slipped a very small long shanked screw driver into the hole. It would not protrude into the hole the tensioner passed through so I gave it a push. A bunch of metal chips came out (second pic).

I cleaned all this debris out of the set screw hole and everywhere else, reassembled the tensioner and put it back in the machine.
    Then I printed out the top tension instructions to the TFSR site and adjusted it.

Put everything back together, threaded it up and proceeded to test sew with it. Works great now. (third pic )

So, if you have a machine that has tensioner problems and yet the tensioner is in good working order, check the set screw hole. If it's full of aluminum chips from when the threads were cut, the tensioner may be working loose as you sew with it.

As I'm doing this post my wife is sewing up a storm with our 401A. (last two pics)

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe -

Great tip and photos for fixing your 401. Thanks for sharing!

Shari

Blog Entries
    You got a very nice red eye 66 and the decals are great. What a great machine. This is my favorite vintage machine I use as my go to machne.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

A friend of mine recently was given (from her mother) a White Rotary treadle. The serial number is FR2394557. She has no information as to age, or where to find a manual. She did receive the attachments, and a few needles, plus a lot of thread spools, etc.

Does anyone know where I can look to date the machine for her, and where I might find a manual?
    Thanks!
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Quilt Mom,
    If you go here, Info on White machines, you should find lots of interesting information. The "FR" part of the serial number makes me think it might be a Family Rotary. There are manuals posted there too.

Thanks so much, Bennett! I'll be going there now.
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    We have a slant stitch monogrammer that I wanted to try. Since our 401 has a needle plate lift lever I thought it would be simple to try it on that machine.
    I hooked it up and got to trying it out. But I had problems from the start. As I was trying to figure the thing out I realized the top tension was way tight. I could not reduce it. It didn't take long to see that the presser foot was not releasing the tension. It had worked just the other day when my wife put some decorative stitches on some jeans pockets so I knew something had gone wrong.

To make a long story short I got back to it and looked inside the hole the tensioner fits in. I saw some shiny silver bits. Then I had an epiphany. When I had originally cleaned this machine I had to remove the tensioner to clean the area around it. It wouldn't go back in the I thought it should, but it did work.
    I removed the long set screw cleaned and oiled it and put it back in snugly.

Today I removed the set screw (first pic) and slipped a very small long shanked screw driver into the hole. It would not protrude into the hole the tensioner passed through so I gave it a push. A bunch of metal chips came out (second pic).

I cleaned all this debris out of the set screw hole and everywhere else, reassembled the tensioner and put it back in the machine.
    Then I printed out the top tension instructions to the TFSR site and adjusted it.

Put everything back together, threaded it up and proceeded to test sew with it. Works great now. (third pic )

So, if you have a machine that has tensioner problems and yet the tensioner is in good working order, check the set screw hole. If it's full of aluminum chips from when the threads were cut, the tensioner may be working loose as you sew with it.

As I'm doing this post my wife is sewing up a storm with our 401A. (last two pics)

Joe
    Geeze, Joe what a mess! I can't believe all those shaving were in that machine! Great information for the rest of us!

Ok, I am really impressed! I never dreamed of using my 503a or my 401a to put decorative stitches on jeans! That is a lot of fabric that your wife is going through! I add cystals all the time, but never ever thought about trying decorative stitches! How cool is that! I always just figure those denim jeans are just too thick! What thread is she using - a heavy weight?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnana2000 View Post
    Kathie, congratulations on the Redeye! You will love sewing with her!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Geeze, Joe what a mess! I can't believe all those shaving were in that machine! Great information for the rest of us!

Ok, I am really impressed! I never dreamed of using my 503a or my 401a to put decorative stitches on jeans! That is a lot of fabric that your wife is going through! I add cystals all the time, but never ever thought about trying decorative stitches! How cool is that! I always just figure those denim jeans are just too thick! What thread is she using - a heavy weight?

Nancy
    Nancy,

I was quite surprised about all that debris in there too.

My wife was using Sulky bright orange thread. The lable says it's 100% Viscose. That's German for something. It's a very pretty thread but not exceptionally strong. And it a very slick thread that has the annoying habit of falling down off the spool and winding itself around the spool pin. In the pic above the spool is on the cone stand behind the machine.

Not all of our machines will do decorative stitches through this many layers of denim. The 401, 319K, and Bernina 930 will, but the Wards 7 Jewel will not.
    We've got several others to try too. Each has different patterns and my wife wants the variety on her projects.

Also just in case you're curious she was using a Schmetz #16 jeans needle.

Joe

Viscose is rayon and yes, it's not a strong thread at all. Really, any area that is going to be in contact with a chair or rubbing shouldn't be embroidered with it. (Like jeans pockets, sorry to say!) I have a good example, one lady spent hours and hours doing beautiful embroidery on her skirt and soon began to notice areas on her skirt had lots of thread breakage. Guess where those areas were? ;> I'm actually phasing out all of my rayon and not buying it anymore(this includes Sulky). I'm only buying polyester embroidery thread now, like Isacord. Rayon is also not colorfast in the wash using any kind of bleach product. Young mothers with babies bleach their clothes and blankets a lot and all that fancy embroidery may end up stained and or different colors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Attachment 327529Attachment 327530

It isn't exactly quilting, but it is sewing several layers of fabric together for a purpose. I used my late mom's 1966 Wizard for the construction, to make this a legit post about vintage machines. It is the same machine that made both mine and my sister's wedding gowns several years ago. The wedding went well, and my "legion of sisters" put on a wonderful reception for my daughter and her new husband, and I am eternally grateful for all they did. Her dress turned out great, and I even made a little purse. The edge of the veil, 8 yards of beaded fun as well, is in the top of the picture.

I have been enjoying reading about the new machines. Miriam, you are cleaning up at goodwill. I was hoping that was you bidding on those machines. I also am stoked about using Glenn's restoring methods on a couple of machines that need attention, now that the wedding is done, and more time on my hands. Everyone keep up the good work!!
    Love the dress and veil, Melinda! Beautiful bride, and yes, a great looking couple!