Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 843 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 343 743 793 833 842 843 844 853 893 943 1343 ... LastLast
Results 21,051 to 21,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    There is a Singer 185J for $20.00 on Cape Cod, MA Craigslist.

http://capecod.craigslist.org/art/2499544220.html

That's a better deal than the one that I found for $35.00 :thumbup:
    Yes, I am in CT and have a friend on the Cape. Have tried to send a message via the ad and can't seem to do it. No tel. no. or I would call. help! Can someone send them my e-mail or tel. no? Would love to send the $20 on such a neat little machine!!! PM me please if you can help me.

Quote Originally Posted by shelburn

Yes, I am in CT and have a friend on the Cape. Have tried to send a message via the ad and can't seem to do it. No tel. no. or I would call. help! Can someone send them my e-mail or tel. no? Would love to send the $20 on such a neat little machine!!! PM me please if you can help me.
    I've had trouble with that too. I've found that if you highlight and copy the reply to: part and then go to your email and paste that in the address it will work. HTH's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan
    Wow Texas Jan, I am always surprised to see what shows up when these old machines start to shed the gunk! She is going to be very purrrrty!

Nancy
    This one has been the most stubborn one about shedding her gunk. She will never be a beauty, but at least she IS gonna be CLEAN .

Texas Jan
    Is that the same machine is both sets of pictures :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I kept scrolling up and down to look at the differences and WOWZA!! Did you use a kerosene soak to do that amount of cleaning??? I have a brown lotus model 66 that looks as if someone put a blackish-goopy stain over the whole thing. I was able to get the goop off of the little serial number plate (it was so-o-o thick that I could not even see even the slightest indent of the numbers) so that I could date the machine but I would love to get the goop off of the rest of the machine.
    Kathy--I love that Lotus of yours. That is one Singer decal I am still looking for. That is the same machine. I did the kerosene cleaning first, but being over 100 degrees here, I am afraid I rushed through it and will have to do it again to get the mechanics clean when it gets cooler. I VERY carefully used Billy's "Goop" (from Walmart) and cotton balls (no paper towels to scratch the decals) and cleaned the first layer off, and that took awhile. That didn't get them as clean as I wanted. Glenn suggested using Dawn dishwashing liquid (a little bit on a damp piece of soft cotton rag to make a foam by rubbing the rag) and see if that would clean the decals better. That seemed to remove it on this machine better. I was very careful to look at the decal after every few seconds to make sure the decals weren't turning silver. When you loose that protective shellac that is over the paint and decals, then the cleaning can take of the color really quick.
    I think machines like yours and mine are there to teach me patience, and lots of it. Glenn also suggested when I put the machine in the kerosene to cover the decals with Vaseline to protect them. I think I will let mine sit in the kerosene for a day before I clean it again, maybe a 5 gallon container and submerge it. I haven't decided.
    No guarantees on any of this, I'm still new and learning, so if anyone knows a better way, please speak up.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Need some help. Might be loking at a Wheeler and Wilson coffin top treadle on SUnday. Currrent owner does sew but prefers modern to vintage. There are 2 machines and a buunch of attachments and she has no idea goes with what machine. I also have no idea what to look for. She thinks both machines may be great grandmother's machines. Are there any pointers I need to know about a W&W machine and what would I look for regarding attachments?
    Chris, please post pictures if you get these machines. The W&W's are the aristocrates of the sewing machine world. Great machines!

Don't sound so final!!! This seems to be just getting started, at least for me!! Love the old machines and am just learning all about them. Got on local CG and can't believe all the machines in a 50 mile radius!! One was right in my back yard practically! but is gone by now. I love looking for them but still don't know what is what!
    Do keep the info coming!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf
    Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan
    Wow Texas Jan, I am always surprised to see what shows up when these old machines start to shed the gunk! She is going to be very purrrrty!

Nancy
    This one has been the most stubborn one about shedding her gunk. She will never be a beauty, but at least she IS gonna be CLEAN .

Texas Jan
    Is that the same machine is both sets of pictures :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I kept scrolling up and down to look at the differences and WOWZA!! Did you use a kerosene soak to do that amount of cleaning??? I have a brown lotus model 66 that looks as if someone put a blackish-goopy stain over the whole thing. I was able to get the goop off of the little serial number plate (it was so-o-o thick that I could not even see even the slightest indent of the numbers) so that I could date the machine but I would love to get the goop off of the rest of the machine.
    That gives me hope! Looks like the same condition as the 66 Redeye I picked up yesterday for $15. I have been scared to post the "before" picture!
    Oh please post it !! For $15, you can learn on it and if it doesn't come out perfect, you aren't out a ton of money. That was why I bought this machine, just to see how much of a difference there could be, and it had all its parts there.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Is that the same machine is both sets of pictures.

Cathy, I can't wait to see that Lotus after you get her clean!
    I bet she just needs a nice lonnnng kerosene soak!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    This was the machine I went to the auction for in the first place. It went for $120, a little rich for my blood. This was on the auction as a salesman's sample machine.
    But its sew cute. How could you resist?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    That's funny. You bet yours was easier to understand! We headed an equine 4-H group many years back (do they still have 4H and FFA?) and our 1X per month discussion meetings were geared to one specific part of the horse's anatomy thus the kids learned the proper descriptions with help from charts and (of course) my live horses. 2 of the kids went on to become large animal Vets and several are Vet techs - made me sooooo proud. Enough of the equines - this IS a vintage sewing machine thread ..... ;o)
    Yep, there still is 4H and FFA! I know this is a Vintage sewing shop, but it is fun sometimes to talk about our furbabies, and my horses are part of my family as I am sure yours were too!~

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
    Looks like a 406 to me...but wait for a second/third/fourth opinion!! :lol:
    I think that's a Singer 306.
    No I think I'm wrong. Looks more like the Singer 319.

comparison link: http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...19forsale.html
    I think you're right Monica! The other two don't have a handle, and this one does...

Blog Entries
    Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
    is it a 319? Maybe think I saw typewriter keys on the top?

Quote Originally Posted by lee231

I've had trouble with that too. I've found that if you highlight and copy the reply to: part and then go to your email and paste that in the address it will work. HTH's
    lee231 Thank you for your help. My grandson was here and he helped me. Always forget about the right click!!
    Now I have to wait for a phone call or an e-mail. Thanks again

Blog Entries
    Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan

Nancy

Texas Jan

my lotus looked like this when I got it...took alot of scrubbing with kerosene but the decals did come thru undamaged...the ones on the back (where the machine laid in the cabinet) were completely covered with goop. Such fun watching them come thru...

Blog Entries
    Well Monica, and everyone else. I have tried e-mailing and calling this guy on this Hitachi, but no response. I will try again this morning.

This machine appears to be a treadle Hitachi, which I have never seen. I want to take a look at the machine or at least ask some questions about it. Has anyone on here seen a Hitachi treadle? Or does anyone have one of these machines? It looks very interesting.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2517149361.html

Nancy

I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.
    It's a pretty easy fix. Even I was able to fix the tension on my 301 (my problem was exactly as you are describing) and I was always taught to NEVER touch the tension knob :roll: . I've decided that that was the only way the Home Ec teachers could get the girls to not fiddle with the tension knobs, creating more work for them to fix it at the end of the day :mrgreen:

Here is a wonderful tutorial about tension. It will help you to understand how it works and what to do to fix it. If you still can't figure it out I can walk you through it because I have already done it.

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...djustment.html

Give it a try!! :thumbup:
    Thanks Cathy, I will follow the tutorial. You are all so helpful here on the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by psychonurse
    I had to go to a neighboring town yesterday for a medical screening, so checked the local Craigslist before going. Look what I found, and had time to pick up before my appointment? They were asking $250 and took $150. It is so pretty and feels so solid! It was frozen when I first started working on it, but I oiled it and it started running very smoothly.

I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.

I can't wait to piece something with it!
    What model is this. Nice find. Congratulations
    It is a 301A

Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    My latest CL venture, I hope they call and hope DH doesn't ask too hard why a need another machine! maybe if I tell him its for DGD...and it's green... it's a two for the price of one, which won't be a plus in his book. If it's still there, if they call, it's just an hour and a half drive. (I want the green one - Not even sure what the other one is.)

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/hsh/2475787664.html
    Run, don't walk, to get that cute little green Singer 185!!!!! What a great deal! Especially if the case, that it sits in, isn't cracked and broken. I've read that the 185 is a 99 in a green dress...lol! I'm not sure which model the other one is, though. I love it when they only post a picture of the "back" of the sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    My latest CL venture, I hope they call and hope DH doesn't ask too hard why a need another machine! maybe if I tell him its for DGD...and it's green... it's a two for the price of one, which won't be a plus in his book. If it's still there, if they call, it's just an hour and a half drive. (I want the green one - Not even sure what the other one is.)

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/hsh/2475787664.html
    Run, don't walk, to get that cute little green Singer 185!!!!! What a great deal! Especially if the case, that it sits in, isn't cracked and broken. I've read that the 185 is a 99 in a green dress...lol! I'm not sure which model the other one is, though. I love it when they only post a picture of the "back" of the sewing machine.
    be sure it is so NOT a 285

Here is the link to email the seller: Just click on the "reply to" address that is under the title and the date of the ad.
    Click on the CL ad and look for the following:

Date: 2011-07-17, 9:02PM EDT
    Click on this part---->Reply to: sale-jhzxu-2499544220@craigslist.org

Some of you might like this site. Garage/yard sales for your state and town.

http://www.yardsalesearch.com/

Does anyone have an opinion on this machine:
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?itemid=8290117
    I have the high (and only) bid right now. It ends in an hour and I'm just wondering if I should be willing to go higher than the $25.

On another note, I was looking at machines last night with my husband looking over my shoulder and he's now completely into finding a machine! Yee haw!

Quote Originally Posted by beaniekins
    Thank you! I have to admit though, I'm jealous of how easily you guys in the States can find Red Eyes. I have been looking for a year and only ever seen one, and it was 14 hours away from me! Plus, the seller wanted waaaay too much for it. The most common decal around here for the older machines is by far the Sphinx. For the 'newer' vintage machines, there are a fair number of the plainer, mostly black ones.
    They seem to be plentiful around here...would you like me to keep my eyes open for a nice one for you?
    Thanks, but I've got abit of a backlog with machines that need cleaning right now. They're taking over my house a bit. Does that sound familiar? lol

It sure looks like a 319. Thanks for the link. Those weird typewriter keys on the top are very interesting! I guess this is one of those models that never really took off since you just don't see them? Anyone own one?

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8328663

I know you all have seen this one. Let the bidding begin.
    Well, it's $185 now...

It sure looks like a 319. Thanks for the link. Those weird typewriter keys on the top are very interesting! I guess this is one of those models that never really took off since you just don't see them? Anyone own one?
    Definitely a 319. I have a green two tone one. The typewriter keys are a tell and if you look just below the stitch lentgh adjuster, there is a little plate which also says the model. I found a free manual online. It mainly tries to convince the owner how easy it is to use. LOL