Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Originally Posted by buslady
I wanted a featherweight, real bad, I now have two. Love love love them. Then I got a 201, even DH says it is great.

Buslady:
Compare the FW with the 201 as far as ease of portability goes. Doesn't the 201 weigh half again as much as the FW? I'm looking for something to carry on and off an RV.
The Featherweight weighs 11 lbs and the 201 weighs 30 lbs. For further comparison, the 301 weighs 16lbs & has a carrying handle built in on the top of it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 AM

I've never handled a FW, but my 'new' 301A is extremely portable. The handle makes it easy and 16 pounds isn't heavy. Not like the 29 pound 128 sitting next to her.

I got the bobbin back in, threaded it correctly and it sews a beautiful seam. It's a little noisy and my oil was spilled on Saturday, so I'll not sew much on her until I oil her well. Fabric is easy to manuveur while stitching which is a huge plus. It looks like she may be staying!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM

Saw FW today for $320. Shop said it was a wonderful price b/c last week they sold one for $450. Am I crazy or is that an outrageous price for both machines? I want a FW and DH said yes so am in the market. Is $320 a good price? I don't think so but am willing to entertain others' thoughts.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM

[quote=Crossstitcher]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy, It has feed dogs and the shuttle says davis. So it must not be a VF. Thanks Glenn
Well Glenn if your shuttle says Davis you should be good to go!

No it is not a vertical feed if it has feed dogs. I tried to find a free manual on line for the Pathfinder, but didn't come up with anything for that machine.

Maybe, someone else has a manual or knows where you can get one for the Pathfinder?

Nancy
Had a heck of a time getting this to download. That's why they aren't together. Sorry about that. :oops:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163058.jpe  
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
. And they are sooo cute! :-)
Redpurselady, Do you wear red shoes? I think you should! I picture you with your red purse in one arm and your red FW in the other. If you don't wear red shoes, you need to find some red sneakers.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Oh my, Punkquilter, what is that machine in your avatar? I was at goodwill this afternoon and saw the same machine ( i think) for 49.99, electrified. It is missing 1/2 of the throat plate and is dirty , but may clean up nicely. It's been there at least 2 weeks and I'm wondering if I need to go get it/ Does it sew well? Thanks,
Jane
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
OK, I'm coming out of the closet here. I have been trying to read this ENTIRE thread and am now giving up!!! I did make it to the mid-200's though. Y'all keep this thread moving!

Anyway, I told DH that this is like all the cats we have had through the years - you don't really have to look too hard as they will find us :-)
Welcome! I had one person give me a machine when she heard that I sew on vintage machines. She had saved it from heading to the dump. Some lady had two machines heads out on her sidewalk, that I picked up for free. Yup, the machines are just like the cats-they find you.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Hi all.. new vintage sewer wannabe here.

I have my grandmothers 1928? Singer, in walnut? table (cabinet #40). The book says it's a 66-6, "the first electrified model" using either DC or AC. The book has an issue date of June, 1928.

Back about 20 years ago, I plugged it's cloth covered cord into my regular outlet... and blew the mains, fused the cord, melted the plug. Scared me to death! I put it away, never touched it. But then about 5 years ago, I took it to a sew machine repair person (wicked heavy thing!) and he supposedly overhauled it, oiled, cleaned, replaced the cord/plug with a new one. And it worked - when I picked it up, he was stitching on it. But I have been still scared of it.

So, it's been sitting around for 5 years or so, not used. I think, after reading all these great comments, I'm ready to overcome my fears and attempt to use the machine. I think....

Should I? What do I do? Does it need a new cleaning/oiling now? It's dusty, (been kept closed in my sew room most of the time). But all the parts go around find when hand turning. Is the 66-6 worth using? Does it have a 'great straight stitch' like I hear some older Singers do? I just started quilting...

Thanks for any advice, encouragement, you have...
kim
Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi all.. new vintage sewer wannabe here.

I have my grandmothers 1928? Singer, in walnut? table (cabinet #40). The book says it's a 66-6, "the first electrified model" using either DC or AC. The book has an issue date of June, 1928.

Back about 20 years ago, I plugged it's cloth covered cord into my regular outlet... and blew the mains, fused the cord, melted the plug. Scared me to death! I put it away, never touched it. But then about 5 years ago, I took it to a sew machine repair person (wicked heavy thing!) and he supposedly overhauled it, oiled, cleaned, replaced the cord/plug with a new one. And it worked - when I picked it up, he was stitching on it. But I have been still scared of it.

So, it's been sitting around for 5 years or so, not used. I think, after reading all these great comments, I'm ready to overcome my fears and attempt to use the machine. I think....

Should I? What do I do? Does it need a new cleaning/oiling now? It's dusty, (been kept closed in my sew room most of the time). But all the parts go around find when hand turning. Is the 66-6 worth using? Does it have a 'great straight stitch' like I hear some older Singers do? I just started quilting...

Thanks for any advice, encouragement, you have...
kim
Yes it should be oiled after setting that long. Go ahead and try her out bet you will love her like the rest of us do our "little Ladies". Have to post a picture and let us see her.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
You remind me of one of my girl friends! LOL! She loves buying fabric! She also has a cargo storage unit half full of fabric in boxes - so she doesn't even know what she has - which means she gets to buy more!

I did a Delectable Mountain guilt for my DB and SIL, but I used such bright fabrics that it ended up looking more like Chinese Lanterns floating in the sky when I was done.

You didn't answer the question on what machine you are taking to retreat?

Nancy
My girlfriend who lives near the location is bringing her Pfaff 3/4 treadle along for me, and I will probably take a Japanese Class 15 HC conversion along "just in case". I am dropping off a parlor treadle in Nashville, and MIGHT take along an unusual Kenmore treadle for sale.
I love fabric--the way it feels, the colors, the possibilities. I put a lot of mine in storage so I could clean out my basement. It's slow going, but I am making progress. And I must admit I love having the storage unit. My husband is afraid I'll never give it up.

I was advised against it, as it seems most people wind up filling up the storage unit and then refilling their houses, but it has helped me to sort out a lot of things I don't want. I've donated a lot, sold some, given away a ton of stuff. I feel a bit lighter every day.