Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

    Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 AM
      #8921  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Thanx guys, I got both of them thru CL, the featherweight in Orlando for $200, and the treadle in Newort Richey for $90. Higher on both of them than I hope the next few to be. I forgot to take a photo of the little green 185k, but I'll add it next time. It was free because it has missing parts, but runs and I though it would be my first guinea pig. But it's so cute, I keep thinking if I can locate parts, I'd like to try to get it going. . . . . And the search goes on. . . .luv2learn
    Well you did good! Your FW is one of the oldest. Singer introduced them in 1933 at the World's Fair. I have a 1935 FW, but I don't use it regularly. I don't want to damage it in any way, so I have a 1953 black one that I use a lot. The Redeye for $90 is also a good buy. Your cabinet looks to be in good shape and your Redeye is gorgeous!

    Show us pictures of the 185k!

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM
      #8922  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Today, I moved my 201 treadle into my living room behind my sofa, to make room for the Davis cabinet. I'm looking forward to sewing with her this weekend.
    Monica, you sound like me! I moved my 15-88 into the living room behind the sofa to make room for my Davis too! I actually like the arrangement as the 15-88 looks fine there; and, I get to sew while my DH and I are watching TV. Otherwise, I am alone in my sewing room or the office (I have my Redeye 66, my 127 Sphinx, my Singer 9W, and my Davis in the office!

    I keep telling myself I am going to stop, but I am so addicted I just know I will get more! I am going to have to do what Miz Johnny and Billy do and start taking them out of the treadles to put on display shelves!

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 AM
      #8923  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Hello everyone. Hope I'm doing this right and in the right place. Well after 2 weeks of very steady looking and being hopeful, then disappointed. . . Here is what I have actually ended up with this far: !st just one quick photo of my '39 featherweight. Her name is Claudia, in memory of my dear mother. The next photos of the treadle I got today. Her name will be LizBeth after where her number was alloted, (Elizabeth Port, NJ) on Feb 5, 1924. She looks pretty good to me for being attic fresh, I haven't even dusted her yet. I'm SO. . . . excited. And my husband even drove me the 150 mi. round trip to get her after work tonight. Lots of work ahead on her, but, thanx to Billy and all of you wonderful folk, I am confident I can do it. Thankvully I have no time schedule to follow!!
    Now that is a dedicated hubby! And I think you did wonderful on your allotments!! I think you just got the best of both worlds with those purchases. ;)

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 AM
      #8924  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by tomilu
    Here are the 2 machines from the dim, dusty antique shop. I feel sooo blessed.
    Tommie, I have not seen a cabinet like the one your W&W is in? It almost looks like those little side triangles are metal? I also love the way the treadle says Wheeler & Wilson! Such a pretty set up! Does that treadle have a wood pitman? If so, it is pre 1900's.

    I think your Davis is also pre 1900's? Both of those machines are just so unique. What a find. I would put those two machines on display, they are really old and really nice.

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 AM
      #8925  
    Super Member
     
    Crossstitcher's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: West Virginia
    Posts: 1,049
    Default

    Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Hello everyone. Hope I'm doing this right and in the right place. Well after 2 weeks of very steady looking and being hopeful, then disappointed. . . Here is what I have actually ended up with this far: !st just one quick photo of my '39 featherweight. Her name is Claudia, in memory of my dear mother. The next photos of the treadle I got today. Her name will be LizBeth after where her number was alloted, (Elizabeth Port, NJ) on Feb 5, 1924. She looks pretty good to me for being attic fresh, I haven't even dusted her yet. I'm SO. . . . excited. And my husband even drove me the 150 mi. round trip to get her after work tonight. Lots of work ahead on her, but, thanx to Billy and all of you wonderful folk, I am confident I can do it. Thankvully I have no time schedule to follow!!
    Love your machines they are so pretty. The red eye just pops right out at you. Think that and the Lotas are my favorite decals.
    Crossstitcher is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 AM
      #8926  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Wichita, KS
    Posts: 1,601
    Default

    Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Today, I moved my 201 treadle into my living room behind my sofa, to make room for the Davis cabinet.
    Oh, so, THAT is how to get more cabinets into the house....I never thought about putting one behind the sofa....:mrgreen:
    Now when you put one in the bathroom, you are ready for a 12-step program, lol !
    tomilu is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 AM
      #8927  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by tomilu

    Now when you put one in the bathroom, you are ready for a 12-step program, lol !
    Now, if I could, I'd do that!

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:28 AM
      #8928  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Wichita, KS
    Posts: 1,601
    Default

    Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Hello everyone. Hope I'm doing this right and in the right place. Well after 2 weeks of very steady looking and being hopeful, then disappointed. . . Here is what I have actually ended up with this far: !st just one quick photo of my '39 featherweight. Her name is Claudia, in memory of my dear mother. The next photos of the treadle I got today. Her name will be LizBeth after where her number was alloted, (Elizabeth Port, NJ) on Feb 5, 1924.
    What wonderful machines. They both look sooo good. Lucky girl!!!
    tomilu is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 AM
      #8929  
    Super Member
     
    Crossstitcher's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: West Virginia
    Posts: 1,049
    Default

    Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Crossstitcher, the Davis I'm gonna see is just like yours. what type needles does it take? I'm sure this has all been covered earlier but I never thought I'd come across one of these machines and i didn't pay attention. TIA
    Sorry I didn't get back with you on your question but I think Nancy answered it when she was talking with Glenn. They use Boye 10 needle.

    Glenn, about the skipping stitches I found that the thread length regulator has a lot to do with how well the machine sews. Nancy probably knows more about that than I do. Has her machine sewing good now because she made changes on her stitch regulator.
    Crossstitcher is offline  
    Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 AM
      #8930  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Wichita, KS
    Posts: 1,601
    Default

    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Originally Posted by tomilu
    Here are the 2 machines from the dim, dusty antique shop. I feel sooo blessed.
    Tommie, I have not seen a cabinet like the one your W&W is in? It almost looks like those little side triangles are metal? I also love the way the treadle says Wheeler & Wilson! Such a pretty set up! Does that treadle have a wood pitman? If so, it is pre 1900's.

    I think your Davis is also pre 1900's? Both of those machines are just so unique. What a find. I would put those two machines on display, they are really old and really nice.

    Nancy
    Nancy, they both have wood pitmans. Yes, the triangles are tin. The Davis is missing one drawer knob. I have lots of pics on my webshots. Member name there is tomilu
    tomilu is offline  

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter