Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Sharon, how lucky can you be? Maybe after a few years of this, I'll have that happen. . . But in the mean time, I've got a ton of collecting to do!!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Shemjo
I was cleaning out a closet and found a coffin top case! I opened it and it is a 99 from 1924. I haven't plugged it in yet, but if memory served it has been in the clset for about 25 years...
Maybe I need to start going through my closets again and see if I have anything hiding in them........ :-P Congratulations on the find!!!!Billy
LOL>... great find. You wouldn't by chance have an attic, would you, Shemjo? Maybe if I'm really nice, Billy will let us all 'clean' his garage for him..... huh... I know.... not a chance! :wink:
Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Billy, I'm REALLY confused now. . . Which model singer are the photos I just posted on pg 661?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Glenn
Hey all you quilters working on sewing machine cabinets I have posted a tut on refinishing them using shellac since that is what is on the old vintage and antique treadles and other cabinets with age.

If you want to restore instead of refinishing we will tackle this as need arises to repair a bad spot. This tut will be never ending because there are so many types of repair so will handle this by your questions as they come up. Glenn
Thanks Glenn... um for the record, just like I'm sure Glenn does... I use a VOC removing cartridge respirator mask or a R95/99 paper mask as necessary for sanding, refinishing, spraying, etc. All done either outside, or in a very well ventilated shop/room area. I would recommend that anyone doing anything like sanding/refinishing read up on which masks to use and when. They are not all 'created equal'. Safety first. Some of my more esoteric forge work also requires a mask for certain things - particulate or vapor. Since I demonstrate 18th century forgework using coal, starting up the forge with bt coal is a nasty, smoky process. Even though I do it quickly, I still don't want that stuff in my lungs. Use a mask.
you are right I forgot to mention the use of the mask. I use a respor type everytime I work on furniture. Safety first. This is one of the reasons I use shellac it is food safe. Glenn
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM

[The 99 is]Nothing like a 15 but it is a baby 66. It has the drop in bobbins and it is a 3/4 machine. Yes it can be made into a hand crank but you need a spoked handwheel off of a 66 or an early 99 to work. I might be getting a few of those in next week. I am looking a lot of machines tomorrow and I will more than likely buy them all and there are a few of the 66's in there with spoked handwheels.
Billy
Billy, can I make a 66-6 (belt driven motor, not a spoked handwheel) into a treadle machine head? The handwheel is solid, but it does take the belt off the motor. So, just take off the electric gagets and put the treadle belt on it in place of where the electric one goes now? Seems too simple, what am I missing.... ?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Luv2learn, that is a 99 just like mine! I really am so excited as I was looking for an old Singer, and here I already HAVE one!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

LOL>... great find. You wouldn't by chance have an attic, would you, Shemjo? Maybe if I'm really nice, Billy will let us all 'clean' his garage for him..... huh... I know.... not a chance! :wink:
My garage is full of hot rod parts and old vintage speed equipment. I have a couple of 409's and a 392 Hemi in there in the corner and fenders, grille shell, doors, and hood sides off of my 1932 Ford Roadster on the wall. But other than that no cars in there. just a big empty space!!

The machines are in my other 2 car garage on the side of the house.

Billy
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Chris, thanx for your input. . I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear on what I was asking. This is what I meant....

This 99 looks nice, but on my wish list I would also very much like to have a model 15 . . . If I could only get one or the other right now, is this such a good buy to not pass up??

Thanx, luv2learn
Go with Billy's input. He's the resident expert here. I just looked on the Singer website for the info. I have both a 99 and a 15. Like them both and DH is mostly understanding about my vintage machine obsession.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 PM

The machines are in my other 2 car garage on the side of the house. Billy
Oh...well... I only know one other person that happens to have more than one multicar garage on his/her property. lol. Of COURSE, I meant that we could help you out cleaning the OTHER garage... although, I personally wouldn't say no to any coils, springs or ball bearings from trucks or tractors that you might be throwing out. lol. It'd be a while before I get up there to 'collect' em... but actually, a local smith might like the metal...
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanx everyone for the input. . . Now I just have to make a decision. . . . I appreciate all of the help. . . I'm learnin' as fast as I can! ! ! great bunch of folks you are! ! ! ! luv2learn