Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Have spent some time on the internet and came up dry, with exception of reference to the "Chicago Singer Sewing Machine Co." Aparently the factory burned in the great fire, but I have not been able to find any information on that factory. I am wondering if that is the information that was lost. Does anyone recall seeing any information regarding that? I could not get at the machine to get a Serial number off it, so will have to go back out there and see if I can get it. Nothing on the machine indicated it was a Singer, so I didn't figure the serial would be helpful. The net gave me the name, "Chicago Singer Sewing Machine Company." Now I am on a mission to get some information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM

[

Craigslist is trouble for me, also, but I love looking through the ads. I've found some really good deals but I have to laugh at some of the pictures that they post. Why on earth do so many post dark pictures of the 'back' of the sewing machines? Is it possible that they don't know the front from the back?

BTW....Yesterday, I brought home a brown lotus (decal) model 66 in a treadle cabinet, that I saw on CL. Both of them will be my guinea pigs in learning how to clean up a frozen machine and refinishing a cabinet. I've already learned a lot just by taking the top of the cabinet off of the treadle base, and removing the drawers and the dust panel on the underneath of the cabinet top.[/quote]

I know or they will just take a picture of the cabinet and you have to use the force to figure out what is there. But it really kills me when they have a clapped out 27 in a ratty treadle and say its worth way more than they are asking or on ebay they want $xxxxx for them and they are asking $600+ for them. :shock: :roll:

But I did call about two more on CL tonite I am going to go pick up tomorrow.

Billy[/quote]

I wondered if they take them from the back because the decals are usuallly better on the back, so the whole thing looks better. Who knows?????

Texas Jan
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Craig's List is a problem for me too. So many around here think just because it is old it is worth hundreds of dollars. But, I do find good deals once in awhile.

But I spend too much time looking and not cleaning up the ones I have.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by Lostn51
CL is trouble for me also. There were like 5 or 6 nice machines in my area for $20 each and and industrial for $55. Needless to say they're all here in my garage...................

Billy
Gee Billy, I don't feel so bad now! I only got one new one this week.

Texas Jan
So glad I have all the machines I set out to get.....for now!! I need to spend some serious time with the ones I have to get them all running good, and some need parts....a knee bar for my Elna and a handcrank for my 99, and a treadle cabinet for my 66. My FW is running great, and so is my 301. My Western Electric has to be re-wired, and I have to get DH to do that one...I am not good with wires!! LOL
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Went junking for my birthday last week and found a featherweight that needs TLC and a Wheeler Wilson that I'm not too sure about.
The featherweight was made April 10, 1940 in Elizabeth, NJ.
The WW's number is 3033849 and says it a D-9, have looked for it on web, but no luck. Anyone who has info, please help. bobbie

featherweight #AF486605
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228509[/ATTACH]

Wheeler Wilson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228511[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228503.jpe   attachment-228504.jpe   attachment-228505.jpe  
Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Congratulations, great find, both of them.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Went junking for my birthday last week and found a featherweight that needs TLC and a Wheeler Wilson that I'm not too sure about.
The featherweight was made April 10, 1940 in Elizabeth, NJ.
The WW's number is 3033849 and says it a D-9, have looked for it on web, but no luck. Anyone who has info, please help. bobbie
That W&W D9 is the same as the Singer W9; when Singer bought out W&W they kept making this one...that's what others here have said, so I am just passing that on.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM

Here's link to instructions on how to do conversion from electric to hand crank.

treadleon.net/sewingmachineshop/converting/converting.html
Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I brought home a Singer 503 - it is a Rocketeer that has to have cams/disks - in ways, I like them better - less to mess with. This one is missing all the accessories and has no disks. It does work. I cleaned the outside of it but it is too bloomin' hot out to mess with chemicals - someone used 3 in one oil on the insides. The zigzag fells pretty gummy. The stitch width and the left/center/right lever feel pretty gummy. Her motor purrs - her foot control was in the knee lever control holder - usually that means they have less wear. I'm thinking she wasn't used for much - looks like she was in storage for some time. She did polish up - someone was a smoker - why is it when people smoked they smoked a lot around sewing machines?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM

What is the difference in a Wheeler and Wilson D9 and a W&W W9? Just wondering? Mine is the W9.