Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1493 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 493 993 1393 1443 1483 1492 1493 1494 1503 1543 1593 ... LastLast
Results 37,301 to 37,325 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    Did anyone else notice it's in the case backwards?? Wondered why the top wasn't on evenly and then did another peek at the first pic....oh, ya....now I see it...LOL!!!
    I didn't pay any attention to the case since that is not of any interest to me...it's the machine. Not too many Singer 224 are posted on CLs in the States. That base can be trashed, new base can be built to fit the case lid. Or machine can just be placed in a Singer treadle and motor tossed.

Blog Entries
    Some machines perform so nicely with thicker fabrics. The Davis NVF is that type of workhorse. Just give it layers of denim along with the layer of cotton binding and batting for it to show how well it can handle the job. Very pretty stitches with all that thickness. I knew the Davis NVF glides through flannel. It loves denim!! I'm right now binding a mock cathedral quilt made with used jeans. I love my Davis!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Guy is terrific! He won my heart when I was sure I needed a new motor for my Kenmore, and he refused to sell me one until the one that is on the machine is toast! Told me, "a little smoke after sitting for years is no big deal, run it until it either stops smoking or stops working." LOL!! I expressed a bit of concern about the possibility of a fire, and he told me not to worry...that I wouldn't see flames, the motor would just quit. He was right...it didn't need a motor. I love that he could SO easily scam folks...and he doesn't.
    So, my new-to-me Necchi BU and its smokes-on-startup probably won't burst into flames?!? Other than that little bit of smoke, this machine works like a dream! I vacuumed all the motor vents and added 1 drop of oil in each of the oil holes. Smokes less now but still is making me nervous.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to the guidance of this board, I have finally found a Necchi BU Nova in good condition within my price range! It came in a parlor cabinet with a chair. Combined, it looks like a chest of drawers. All that seems to be a trouble is a smoking motor when the machine is first started.

I oiled everything well and decided it really did not need an indepth clean. Quiet and smooth!
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Some machines perform so nicely with thicker fabrics. The Davis NVF is that type of workhorse. Just give it layers of denim along with the layer of cotton binding and batting for it to show how well it can handle the job. Very pretty stitches with all that thickness. I knew the Davis NVF glides through flannel. It loves denim!! I'm right now binding a mock cathedral quilt made with used jeans. I love my Davis!!!
    This is really good to know so I can put mine to use (either of them) with my heavier fabrics. I just got an Adler Belvedere today on the advice of Christine for my semi-industrial needs, but this will be a great backup for me and a great way to practice getting the hang of my treadle skills. My first NVF is in full restoration mode, cabinet and irons completely disassembled at the moment. The second one just needs a good cleaning and oiling to the head and a belt and should be good to go. Maybe I'll bring her into the house tomorrow and give her a whirl.

*keeping my fingers crossed* waiting on the seller to reply to me again. If so I will be the new proud owner of an 1878 Wilcox & Gibbs tomorrow morning He sent me 2 photos but not one of the front, so I'm hoping its in reasonable condition. He wants 150 for it.

Blog Entries
    Jennb, Post some pictures of your machines. One of my smoothest treadles is my Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Jennb, Post some pictures of your machines. One of my smoothest treadles is my Davis.
    You can find most of them in the last couple of pages in the photo thread. The most recent ones (except the Adler Belvedere that arrived today) are in this thread just a few pages back. The group of 9 I acquired last week are all in one post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    You can find most of them in the last couple of pages in the photo thread. The most recent ones (except the Adler Belvedere that arrived today) are in this thread just a few pages back. The group of 9 I acquired last week are all in one post.
    Ok! I just don't remember seeing a Davis NVF, but I'll go look again. Your Damascus is a pretty machine...I remember that one.

Blog Entries
    Jennb, I found it! That is a gorgeous cabinet that one Davis came in, Lovely!!

Blog Entries
    Someone looking for a Baby Bell: http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/3142107452.html

Blog Entries
    How could anyone in their right mind put a Touch and Throw into such a beautiful treadlecabinet? The poster could have cleaned up the old machine. Cabinet was nicely redone! Eeks!!
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/3197041673.html

your getting a complete goodrich set and a singer so two machine for the price

so why not picture both items there selling...

it's no like there selling a singer in a white cabinet. there price is the norm for a complete treadle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
    your getting a complete goodrich set and a singer so two machine for the price

so why not picture both items there selling...

it's no like there selling a singer in a white cabinet. there price is the norm for a complete treadle
    Then picture the Touch & Trash out of that pretty cabinet and onto that stool, keep the two Goodrich together.

I don't mean to be nasty here in my next question...and sometimes I do find you amusing, BUT...
    Do you ever read what you write? Sometimes your logic just doesn't make any sense.

In my opinion, a free Touch & Trash isn't worth going after. And then there is your last sentence...

Nancy,
    I bought a 1/4" x 84" belt from Cindy Peters, it arrived yesterday and I shortened it and got it put on. I thought about buying a roll of belt leather rather than just a belt. My new Pfaff is in very good condition, only needed to have the spider egg sacs vacuumed off and the machine and treadle delinted and oiled. After I installed the new belt, I sewed on
    a scrap of fabric; it sews very nicely and no clanking or squeaking anywhere.

However I didn't get to sew for very long. I was talking to Cindy on my cell phone and not paying attention to where I was walking. I tripped over a laundry basket that was in the hall. I'd gone to get a spool of thread from the treadle room and a UFO that I'm piecing. I fell really hard(hardwood floors here) and thought that I'd broken my hip, I managed to get up off the floor and I couldn't move my left leg. So....I called 911 and the EMT's were sent to my house; took a trip to the hospital and spent the next 7 hours in the ER. The x-rays and CT scan showed nothing was broken in my knee or hip; only lots of soft tissue damage. My left knee,hip and cheek are scraped and bruised, lots of pretty colors.
    I won't be treadling for a while.
    Sharon W.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 08-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Nancy,
    I bought a 1/4" x 84" belt from Cindy Peters, it arrived yesterday and I shortened it and got it put on. It works so nicely. I thought about buying a roll of belt leather rather than just a belt. My new Pfaff is in very good condition, only needed to have the spider egg sacs vacuumed off and the machine and treadle delinted and oiled.
    After I installed the new belt, I sewed on a scrap of fabric; it works so nicely.
    However I didn't get to sew for very long, I was talking to Cindy on my cell phone and not paying attention to where I was walking. I tripped over a laundry basket that was in the hall. I'd gone to get a spool of thread from the treadle room and a UFO that I'm piecing. I fell really hard and thought that I'd broken my hip, I managed to get up off the floor and I couldn't move my left leg. So....I called 911 and the EMT's were sent to my house; took a trip to the hospital and spent the next 7 hours in the ER. The x-rays and CT scan showed nothing was broken in my knee or hip;
    only lots of soft tissue damage. I won't be treadling for a while.
    Sharon W.
    ouch - I just hate self inflicted pain -
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Nancy,
    I bought a 1/4" x 84" belt from Cindy Peters, it arrived yesterday and I shortened it and got it put on. It works so nicely. I thought about buying a roll of belt leather rather than just a belt. My new Pfaff is in very good condition, only needed to have the spider egg sacs vacuumed off and the machine and treadle delinted and oiled.
    After I installed the new belt, I sewed on a scrap of fabric; it works so nicely.
    However I didn't get to sew for very long, I was talking to Cindy on my cell phone and not paying attention to where I was walking. I tripped over a laundry basket that was in the hall. I'd gone to get a spool of thread from the treadle room and a UFO that I'm piecing. I fell really hard and thought that I'd broken my hip, I managed to get up off the floor and I couldn't move my left leg. So....I called 911 and the EMT's were sent to my house; took a trip to the hospital and spent the next 7 hours in the ER. The x-rays and CT scan showed nothing was broken in my knee or hip;
    only lots of soft tissue damage. I won't be treadling for a while.
    Sharon W.
    Sharon, Sorry to hear of that accident. Glad that you didn't fracture hip or knee. Hopefully you will be treadling again next week so that you can enjoy that Pfaff treadle!!

Sharon,

Sorry to hear about your trip and fall. Get better quick, your treadle will get lonely. .

Also, I keep hearing the name Cindy Peters but I can't put a web site with the name. I could use some thicker treadle belts so, could you point me in her direction?

Take care and heal well.

Joe

Oh Sharon...ouch. Can you believe that Olympic runner ran 200 M out of a 400M race with a snapped leg bone after what you went through? Boggles my mind.

Ouch, sorry about the fall Sharon, hurrah for 911 though!

i'm still lusting in my heart for a pink 15 clone...
    In fact I'm specifically lusting for this machine

but new to the game, did Brother buy clones and then rebadge them for others (it says Brother on the base)
    or is this not a 15?

thanks, I really appreciate the information shared here, I have nothing to add so don't
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Trip to Miriam and Phil's place

Hi all, just returned from Miriam and Phil's we spent three days with them and had the most wonderful time. I spent an entire day with Miriam and rewired about three or four motors(potted and standard). I think we got seven or eight machines running. In return we hit all the antique and thrift stores in Indy. Shopping with Miriam is a ruthless ordeal she is a shopper!!!!. I found a pink machine that is in demand and she pushed me aside and bought it out from under me and then had the gall to have me carry it until she paid for it. What a lady. But I got even at the last shop I found a MOP Singer 12 in a folding cabinet(like a puzzle box) and loaded in her car along side the the little pink thing. We had a great time hitting almost all the shops in Indy. Pat and I are looking forward to Miriam and Phil to visit us so we can do the same here. Well if they don't come in Jan we will plan another trip to Indy. She may get tired of us. That is okay I will rewire more machines for her.

Skip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Hi all, just returned from Miriam and Phil's we spent three days with them and had the most wonderful time. I spent an entire day with Miriam and rewired about three or four motors(potted and standard). I think we got seven or eight machines running. In return we hit all the antique and thrift stores in Indy. Shopping with Miriam is a ruthless ordeal she is a shopper!!!!. I found a pink machine that is in demand and she pushed me aside and bought it out from under me and then had the gall to have me carry it until she paid for it. What a lady. But I got even at the last shop I found a MOP Singer 12 in a folding cabinet(like a puzzle box) and loaded in her car along side the the little pink thing. We had a great time hitting almost all the shops in Indy. Pat and I are looking forward to Miriam and Phil to visit us so we can do the same here. Well if they don't come in Jan we will plan another trip to Indy. She may get tired of us. That is okay I will rewire more machines for her.

Skip
    That cabinet is gorgeous and very different with all that wonderful sewing space around it.
    Glenn, Is it the box the unfolds to become the sewing surface? Way cool!!!

Blog Entries
    Glenn: AHEM "I found a pink machine that is in demand and she pushed me aside and bought it out from under me and then had the gall to have me carry it until she paid for it."
    (I found it... he pushed ME out of the way... but he did VOLUNTEER to haul it to the front for me. Thank you Glenn. That picture does not do the Singer 12 justice. It is very nice. And the cabinet is such a disappointment to Glenn - it doesn't need work.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    Ouch, sorry about the fall Sharon, hurrah for 911 though!

i'm still lusting in my heart for a pink 15 clone...
    In fact I'm specifically lusting for this machine

but new to the game, did Brother buy clones and then rebadge them for others (it says Brother on the base)
    or is this not a 15?

thanks, I really appreciate the information shared here, I have nothing to add so don't
    nice clone check this link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html - lotsa info on that