Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

    Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
      #9931  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Thanx everyone for the input. . . Now I just have to make a decision. . . . I appreciate all of the help. . . I'm learnin' as fast as I can! ! ! great bunch of folks you are! ! ! ! luv2learn
    I would go with the 15 because the feed dogs drop and you can FMQ on it. I have a Japanese 15 that is my go to machine and I do 99% of my quilting on.

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 PM
      #9932  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by Glenn
    That red felt should be there, you put a drop of oil on it to lub the bobbin race. I will post the info on the refinishing the cabinets tonight. By the way if my Davis takes the davis long or boyle 10 what needle can I use? Maybe Nancy can answer this for me I now have a singer needle in it15x1 and it works. All my treadles are singers and this davis is new to me but fun to sew with. Can you buy this size needle? Glenn
    Glenn I know nothing about the Davis Pathfinder. Some of the Davis machines did take a regular 15x1 needle. The Davis New Vertical Feed takes a regular 15x1. My Davis VF takes a Boye size 10, which is a longer needle. If your using the 15x1, and it works I'd just use that one!

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
      #9933  
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Northern California
    Posts: 559
    Default

    Billy, you need to come to my house. We have old cars in our back garage. Kathie
    Kathie S. is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
      #9934  
    Senior Member
     
    kwendt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Coastal Florida - Mountainous Maine
    Posts: 949
    Default

    Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by luv2learn
    Thanx everyone for the input. . . Now I just have to make a decision. . . . I appreciate all of the help. . . I'm learnin' as fast as I can! ! ! great bunch of folks you are! ! ! ! luv2learn
    I would go with the 15 because the feed dogs drop and you can FMQ on it. I have a Japanese 15 that is my go to machine and I do 99% of my quilting on.

    Billy
    I'd have to 2nd that, choose the 15-91 over the 99, although I'm just a beginner. I cannot afford the space to collect machines, so I've been reading hours and hours of websites, recommendations and blogs, visiting sewing shops, talking to the folks .... about which old machines are good for what. Thanks to the recent post of Annie's website, I read that she too, recommended a 15-91 (in her case, a Japanese clone) for FMQ over the other types, including over the 301 slant shank machine. The 15 is a full sized machine, so it's larger. That translates to the 15-91's having a huge throat clearance/harp area as it's called. Much larger than any 3/4 machine that I know of. So it's great for sewing bulky quilts, jackets, large skirts, etc. You've got room to work. That's my opinion, of course... just my opinion.. .
    kwendt is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
      #9935  
    Super Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: Huntsville, AL
    Posts: 2,609
    Default

    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Originally Posted by Glenn
    That red felt should be there, you put a drop of oil on it to lub the bobbin race. I will post the info on the refinishing the cabinets tonight. By the way if my Davis takes the davis long or boyle 10 what needle can I use? Maybe Nancy can answer this for me I now have a singer needle in it15x1 and it works. All my treadles are singers and this davis is new to me but fun to sew with. Can you buy this size needle? Glenn
    Glenn I know nothing about the Davis Pathfinder. Some of the Davis machines did take a regular 15x1 needle. The Davis New Vertical Feed takes a regular 15x1. My Davis VF takes a Boye size 10, which is a longer needle. If your using the 15x1, and it works I'd just use that one!

    Nancy
    Where to you get your boyle size 10 Nancy that is what is recomended or the 2x1. 15x1 seems to work okay but would like to have the right size if I can. Glenn
    Glenn is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
      #9936  
    Super Member
     
    BoJangles's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Rescue, California
    Posts: 4,585
    Default

    Originally Posted by Glenn
    Hey all you quilters working on sewing machine cabinets I have posted a tut on refinishing them using shellac since that is what is on the old vintage and antique treadles and other cabinets with age. You can test the finish by using alcohol on the old finish in a spot that can not be seen readily. If it desolves the finish after a minute of rubbing then it is shellac. If not it is lacquer or varnish. Lacquer can be desolved with acetone. If these two products don't desolve the finish then you have varnish. After stripping and staining you can use any one of the three for final finish. I recommend you use shellac for ease of use and dries to touch in 30 min or less so does not collect dust in wet finish. Lacquer is to difficult for the home owner to use and for health reasons.

    If you want to restore instead of refinishing we will tackle this as need arises to repair a bad spot. This tut will be never ending because there are so many types of repair so will handle this by your questions as they come up. Glenn
    Glenn I did a search for your Tutorial and I can't find it. What are you calling the tutorial?

    Nancy
    BoJangles is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
      #9937  
    Senior Member
     
    kwendt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Coastal Florida - Mountainous Maine
    Posts: 949
    Default

    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Glenn I did a search for your Tutorial and I can't find it. What are you calling the tutorial?

    Nancy
    Here it is...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97670-1.htm
    kwendt is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
      #9938  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Here you go Glenn's very helpful tutorial!!!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97670-1.htm

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
      #9939  
    Banned
    Thread Starter
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Bikini Bottom
    Posts: 5,652
    Default

    Originally Posted by kwendt
    Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Glenn I did a search for your Tutorial and I can't find it. What are you calling the tutorial?

    Nancy
    Here it is...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97670-1.htm
    She is on it tonite!!

    Billy
    Lostn51 is offline  
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM
      #9940  
    Senior Member
     
    kwendt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Coastal Florida - Mountainous Maine
    Posts: 949
    Default

    Hey all... did anybody ever do the old machine needle list? We've all had needle questions here and there. We should have a researched/definative list of what machines/classes take what. And what, if any, substitutes are possible.

    If it's not been done, I'd be willing to compile that and then post it as a tute of sorts. I've been collecting needle info for just the machines I have, but if all ya all PM me with what machines you have/know about and what needles they take, any other pertinant info... then I can pull it together for us. Esp. want to hear from non-Singer owners, and treadle owners...

    kim

    That is, if it's not already done somewheres...
    kwendt is offline  

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off


    FREE Quilting Newsletter