Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
It's a shame it has an ouchie......what do you do when the decal is messed up like this?
There is nothing you can do. Just clean the rest of the machine, make her shine and ignore the bad spot. That is a really nice 66, except for the one bad spot.

Nancy
Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I would have gone with ya if I lived up there close by. In fact, I would like to get together with you and Penni one day. And anyone else that would like to meet in the East Bay or Valley area. Someone pick a spot.

Well maybe, this spring we can get together. I think Kathie wants to join us too. That would be nice. Aren't there a couple others in this area too?

Nancy
Yes, I think if we post here and on a couple of other threads folks will show up. Great! I like that idea!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Beautiful Nancy. I want to learn how. Kathie
Kathie, Kristin Echols teaches the Quilt as You Go technique at Shared Stitches in Cameron Park. It is a very fun class, 2 days a couple weeks apart. I took her class last fall.

Nancy
Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Glenn
Tung oil over older cabinets just sits on the the top of the shellac and will evaporate and will need to be applied again. Since the older cabinets already have a finish on them I recomend you wax them to protect and bring out the shine in the original shellac finish. As always this is a personal choice. I use briwax in clear or brown. I prefer to restore the original finish then try to apply a new finish such as tung oil. Glenn
Thanks Glenn! I had sanded the cabinets before finishing with tung oil. So, I think I had removed all the old finish that was left. Thanks for the information. I will try that.
Remember I restore antique finishes to preserve the original finish if possible, I refinish as the the last resort. So please do not let me sway you one way or the other. Do what looks best to you. I think it is wonderful that you are taking care of you ladies. Glenn
Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Tung oil over older cabinets just sits on the the top of the shellac and will evaporate and will need to be applied again. Since the older cabinets already have a finish on them I recomend you wax them to protect and bring out the shine in the original shellac finish. As always this is a personal choice. I use briwax in clear or brown. I prefer to restore the original finish then try to apply a new finish such as tung oil. Glenn
I've now got as many jotted down notes about refinishing my singer cabinets, as I do of Billy's cleaning recommendations! Thanks to all who are contributing thier bits and pieces. I sure do appreciate it!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
My friend gave me a portable handcrank that someone gave her 20 years ago in England. She has just had it in storage. I was telling her about my treadle and she said she had an old machine she thought I would like, so she gave it to me! It is a SERATA serial #640765. I have been searching and haven't found anything yet. It has a beautiful wooden case with inlays. Not sure where to find info to date it or get parts. {she went to show me the extras inside the sliding wooden drawer and found that the bottom was missing. she has no idea which move it may have been lost in} I will download my pictures later tonight and post them soon.
Here are some pictures I said I would post.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129826.jpe   attachment-129827.jpe   attachment-129828.jpe   attachment-129895.jpe   attachment-129896.jpe  

Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM

His Patchwork;

Beautiful machine and carry case/cabinet.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM

My friend gave me a portable handcrank that someone gave her 20 years ago in England. She has just had it in storage. I was telling her about my treadle and she said she had an old machine she thought I would like, so she gave it to me! It is a SERATA serial #640765. I have been searching and haven't found anything yet. It has a beautiful wooden case with inlays. Not sure where to find info to date it or get parts. {she went to show me the extras inside the sliding wooden drawer and found that the bottom was missing. she has no idea which move it may have been lost in} I will download my pictures later tonight and post them soon.
Very nice machine Glenn
Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Sorry for the double post Glenn