Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM

AnnieRose is going to FMQ. My darning foot for my 301A came today. She will do exactly what I want her to do as soon as I learn how. As you can tell, I am very excited. I also bought a 1/4 inch foot for her. I may also learn to sew a straight seam.

When I started sewiing with her yesterday, she had a periodic grumble. I kept oiling and sewing and it went away. Then the bobbin messed up when I tried to FM with the regular foot. Tonight with the darning foot, the bobbin was perfect. Woohoo!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
AnnieRose is going to FMQ. My darning foot for my 301A came today. She will do exactly what I want her to do as soon as I learn how. As you can tell, I am very excited. I also bought a 1/4 inch foot for her. I may also learn to sew a straight seam.

When I started sewiing with her yesterday, she had a periodic grumble. I kept oiling and sewing and it went away. Then the bobbin messed up when I tried to FM with the regular foot. Tonight with the darning foot, the bobbin was perfect. Woohoo!
That is so cute! One minute you are going to tell her what you want her to do, and the next she will be telling you what she wants to do. I have 1/4inch foot and I still can't sew a straight seam- but that could be do to watching tv while sewing. :)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM

I was able to make some passable hearts on my Quilt for Kids quilt tonight. Thursday night, AnnieRose and I are going to a class on FMQ at the Janome store. A 1956 301 hanging out with all the new machines. I'll let you know if I get any interesting comments.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 AM

A 1956 301 hanging out with all the new machines. I'll let you know if I get any interesting comments.
Which color 301 did you bring? Were people envious of your 301 or were they questioning why you had such an old machine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I LOVE my 301's. I'll have to get myself a darning foot for them.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 AM

I was able to make some passable hearts on my Quilt for Kids quilt tonight. Thursday night, AnnieRose and I are going to a class on FMQ at the Janome store. A 1956 301 hanging out with all the new machines. I'll let you know if I get any interesting comments.
Let us know after your class on Thursday how it went. Everytime I take a class there is at least one very old machine in the class -- usually, a FW. Sometimes, though, there is one I have never seen nor heard of and the whole class is pretty interested in that machine. There are lots of people very attached to their original machines, and they take those machines to classes if they can carry them!

Nancy
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy,
I think the New Home VS is the noisiest treadle machine I've ever sewn with. The others are all Singers, 201k,15-90
and 237. The White VS III isn't functional yet..it needs lots of TLC.
Sharon W.
I love sewing with my Model 127 the Sphinx, I also loved using the Model 27, Pheasant. Those machines sew so nice. Wouldn't the Davis Vertical Feed be considered a vibrating shuttle? It has a bullet bobbin? That machine also purrs along. The only machine that kind of bothers me sometimes is my 15-88 (not a vibrating shuttle), but with the hand crank and treadle there is a constant clang when I am treadling. I love having the HC on that machine, but I mostly treadle so the HC is aways clanking. Now when I just use the HC there is no noise. I don't think it would both me, but that machine sits behind the couch in the living room. I use it in the evening mostly when we are watching TV -- it gets a little loud because of that HC! Oh, well I am not going to take the HC off because I am using that machine for quilting and sometimes I need the precise stitching I get with the HC.

Nancy
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Where, in Tennessee, is the TOGA?? And dates?

Tennessee TOGA: Aug 4, 5, 6, 2011

Winchester, TN
Sorry you guys, I know you already said; but, what does TOGA stand for? I know it is Treadle something?

Nancy
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Where, in Tennessee, is the TOGA?? And dates?

Tennessee TOGA: Aug 4, 5, 6, 2011

Winchester, TN
Sorry you guys, I know you already said; but, what does TOGA stand for? I know it is Treadle something?

Nancy
I think the 'T' and 'O' stand for Treadle On....maybe the 'G' stands for gathering. I am only a recent member of Treadle On so I don't know all of the lingo, yet :mrgreen:
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Crossstitcher, the Davis I'm gonna see is just like yours. what type needles does it take? I'm sure this has all been covered earlier but I never thought I'd come across one of these machines and i didn't pay attention. TIA
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 AM

cabbagepatchkid, my 301A is the tan one. She just arrived last week. The class is Thursday night.

Bojangles, this is my only portable machine. the 128 may be 3/4 size, but it weighs 29 pounds. The Elna isn't far behind plus the feeds don't drop and the pressure foot is self adjusting - no FMQ for her. The Kenmore is in a cabinet and has undependable tension, besides, currently, I can't get to it, so the 310 it is.

I had to buy Singer needles. My Schmetz seemed to have too thick a shank to fit the opening.