Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok Billy I will check out that screw, but from my picture is that wire spring suppose to rest on the little rest that sticks out from the tension disk like mine does-- or is the spring wire suppose to go beneath that stop thing?

Nancy
It is right where its supposed to be, but I would adjust where the spring is positioned. It will take some of the pressure off the thread routing and the machine will not try to bind on you.

Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Thank you, I will adjust the wire. So there is a reason the thread is always binding up and breaking! I thought it was just my poor treadling!

Nancy
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM

My DH was cleaning my Diamond treadle and found on the back of the machine "made in occupied Japan" It's serial number is D49649. Any info on this machine?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

Anna, I don't know what a red eye 66 is? \

Nancy
I forgot to answer this one I am sorry....A Red Eye is a type of decal that Singer used on some of its model 66's. Here is a photo of mine and Anne's (Honchey). Annes machine is the prettiest Red Eye I have ever seen!!

Billy

My Red Eye 66-1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70430[/ATTACH]

Anne's Red Eye
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70431[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70425.jpe   attachment-70426.jpe  
Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
My DH was cleaning my Diamond treadle and found on the back of the machine "made in occupied Japan" It's serial number is D49649. Any info on this machine?
AWW SWEET!!!

That just made the price of that machine jump through the roof!! What did you guys pay for it anyway?

You need to make sure you be careful with the machine and treadle and make sure you take your time and cleaning it. Items with that designation were made from 1948-1952 or 53, and they commend high prices from collectors and some that only collect that moniker.

Congratulations on your find

Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
AWW SWEET!!!

That just made the price of that machine jump through the roof!! What did you guys pay for it anyway?

You need to make sure you be careful with the machine and treadle and make sure you take your time and cleaning it. Items with that designation were made from 1948-1952 or 53, and they commend high prices from collectors and some that only collect that moniker.

Billy
It's cleaned up really nice and we'll start on the cabinet this week. I saw it in a flea market about 2 months ago priced at $60.00. DH and I went back a couple weeks ago and it was marked down to $30.00 so it came home with us. We did good, huh? What do you mean by made the price jump through the roof? Rough idea of worth?
It was motorized but we turned it back into a treadle. Was that the right thing to do? We still have the motor, bracket etc.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM

OK that's it, I'm hooked I just have to get a tredle machine, even got hubby to help me look for one, LOL We start the hunt this week!
I had a singer tredle 48 years ago and made lots of things on it, so think it is time I got myself another one to use.
I have started to read all the back log of pages on this list, hope to gain some smarts about what to look for, :-) happy stitchin!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

AWW SWEET!!!

Billy
It's cleaned up really nice and we'll start on the cabinet this week. I saw it in a flea market about 2 months ago priced at $60.00. DH and I went back a couple weeks ago and it was marked down to $30.00 so it came home with us. We did good, huh? What do you mean by made the price jump through the roof? Rough idea of worth?
It was motorized but we turned it back into a treadle. Was that the right thing to do? We still have the motor, bracket etc.
Leave it treadle and as far as the worth I have no idea but you can go to the "Antiques Roadshow" website and they have a list of appraisers that can tell you. I promise its worth more than $60!!

Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leaha
OK that's it, I'm hooked I just have to get a tredle machine, even got hubby to help me look for one, LOL We start the hunt this week!
I had a singer tredle 48 years ago and made lots of things on it, so think it is time I got myself another one to use.
I have started to read all the back log of pages on this list, hope to gain some smarts about what to look for, :-) happy stitchin!
I am telling you collecting vintage sewing machines are like a crack addiction. You will be figuring out what pieces of furniture you really do not need to make more room, you will stop by every garage sale and thrift store there is, and the nice thing about it is you wont be tossed in the slammer for collecting machines.

Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Anna, I don't know what a red eye 66 is? \

Nancy
I forgot to answer this one I am sorry....A Red Eye is a type of decal that Singer used on some of its model 66's. Here is a photo of mine and Anne's (Honchey). Annes machine is the prettiest Red Eye I have ever seen!!

Billy
Wow, I hope my red eye looks this good when I finally get around to cleaning and restoring her.