Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM

What do I use to strip the old green paint from the Singer metal treadle base and legs? I am thinking I want to do that and return it to the original black, but have not decided. If I repaint it, I know to prime but which brand paint and spray or ???
The cabinet is green too and I was going strip it, but kinda like the green.
Still having trouble getting the scroll plate screw loose on the machine. I will keep working at it.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
What do I use to strip the old green paint from the Singer metal treadle base and legs? I am thinking I want to do that and return it to the original black, but have not decided. If I repaint it, I know to prime but which brand paint and spray or ???
The cabinet is green too and I was going strip it, but kinda like the green.
Still having trouble getting the scroll plate screw loose on the machine. I will keep working at it.
I would use Klean Strip to take the paint off of the base. And if you use an Epoxy paint for the treadle base you wont have to bother with primer.

Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Hello everyone, I have been trying since yesterday to send a couple pictures of my new machine. I am trying to send a picture of the tension disk check spring and the machine. I think the check spring is in the right place now? Billy, if you guys get this picture will you check the placement of the wire guide.

I apologize if I send it more than once. I have tried a couple times and I can't see that it went through.

I love my machine -- I am so addicted.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70824.jpe   attachment-70825.jpe  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 AM

Doug, we will continue to keep you in our hearts and prayers! This board is terrific and you have many friends here.

Perhaps you won't be in "withdrawal" from this board for very long. Get your primary surgeon to prescribe return to this site asap. My doc wrote a note to DH stating that I was to refrain from doing dishes for a lifetime. DH says I should go back and get another opinion :-)
Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Hello everyone, I have been trying since yesterday to send a couple pictures of my new machine. I am trying to send a picture of the tension disk check spring and the machine. I think the check spring is in the right place now? Billy, if you guys get this picture will you check the placement of the wire guide.

I apologize if I send it more than once. I have tried a couple times and I can't see that it went through.

Very beautiful! I have the same cabinet but for machine it is a red eye 66. Enjoy!!! Still waiting for my belt to come in. Anna

Nancy
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
It looks right but may need adjusting. If you look on the machine itself you will see a small screw that holds part of the assembly to the machine. Loosen it and you can twist the tension assembly to position the overall tension on the spring and the position of the spring loop.

Billy
Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 AM

She is a beauty!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I bought 2 machines yesterday - a Singer 191J and a Butterfly, made in the ROC, which may or may not be vintage. I described them in separate threads because I'm hoping someone (who may not be reading all 255 pages of this thread) may have information about them.
191J: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56342-1.htm
Butterfly: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56341-1.htm

Anyone know anything about either of these???
Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Wine Woman. That machine is like the White that I purchased, only mine was on a treadle cabinet. So you can use it either way, electric or PP. The way mine is set up, the extra round outlet on the back is for the light. On the underneath side there was a plug in that you plugged the line from the underside of the motor plug in. It had a standard extension cord from that to bring the electricity to the machine.

It is the first time that I have seen a "pull" reostate for the control from the knee lever as you show on your cabinet. Mine is the same. I think they had to put it on the left side due to the treadle belt on the right.

Boy that is not very clear. I will try and take some pictures tonight of the underside wiring. I plan on treadling mine.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I bought . . . a Butterfly, made in the ROC, which may or may not be vintage. . . .
Butterfly: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56341-1.htm

Anyone know anything about either of these???
Modern reproduction.