Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Jackie, Grasshopper is very handsome. Love it!
Thank you so much. Billy is helping on finding the parts to get it up and running. The power cord is really quite scary, so I don't dare plug it in. :shock:
Old 07-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
Anybody have any idea how much the 404 might weigh?
It is the lighter one of the 401,403,404 Let me see if I can find it. You saw the $30 add? Less then 22lb. It is straight stitch only and was often used for teaching sewing.
Yes, I saw the ad with the pics. It looks clean and in good cond. Thanks for the info about the weight!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM

It is the lighter one of the 401,403,404 Let me see if I can find it. You saw the $30 add? Less then 22lb. It is straight stitch only and was often used for teaching sewing.
Do you have one of these machines? If so, do you think it would be a good machine to have to take to classes, etc? Or is it too heavy for that?

Any info is helpful!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I do not have the 404 but just got the 301. The 301 is 16 lb and is ok. Maybe take 22 lb and tie a solid little handle to it and see how it feels. I think it would be ok. Also these machines are solid and compact, much easier to carry then the bulky plastic things they have now. It is a nice machine and I would have gone over there to pick it up if it was closer. So yes, I wopuld go for it if I were you. It has the slant angle just like the 301. Maybe some one on the list has one and can tell you more details but it sure looks promising.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I do not have the 404 but just got the 301. The 301 is 16 lb and is ok. Maybe take 22 lb and tie a solid little handle to it and see how it feels. I think it would be ok. Also these machines are solid and compact, much easier to carry then the bulky plastic things they have now. It is a nice machine and I would have gone over there to pick it up if it was closer. So yes, I wopuld go for it if I were you. It has the slant angle just like the 301. Maybe some one on the list has one and can tell you more details but it sure looks promising.
Thanks for all your info. I have emailed the person with the listing and hope to set up a time to go see it when we are there. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller! :)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM

My best friend has a 404 she got for a wedding gift almost 50 yrs ago and it is heavy. You might consider a 301. I have one and it's lightweight and they are not nearly as expensive as a FW and do a great job. Just a thought.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Billy,

I just purchased a 301 on ebay and it needs a bobbin encasement. I don't know the official name. It is what you put the bobbin in...??? Where would I purchase this item???

Thank you for taking the time to reply to all of us
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phyllis b
Billy,

I just purchased a 301 on ebay and it needs a bobbin encasement. I don't know the official name. It is what you put the bobbin in...??? Where would I purchase this item???

Its the Bobbin Case and let me see if I can find the link for one.

Billy
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 AM

Billy,

The 301 uses the same bobbin case and bobbin a FW uses cause I had to take one out of one of my FW's for my 301 cause it came without one.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Billy,

The 301 uses the same bobbin case and bobbin a FW uses cause I had to take one out of one of my FW's for my 301 cause it came without one.
I thought I was one only one to discover that! :thumbup: