Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1392 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 392 892 1292 1342 1382 1391 1392 1393 1402 1442 1492 ... LastLast
Results 34,776 to 34,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    My mom used to make bras on her FW back in the 60s - all cotton just a bit of elastic across the back. They weren't too bad. She copied a store bought one.
    Miriam, Your mom sounds like she was a frugal and talented lady from all of your tales about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    I think that it's just that it's the krinkled blackside that is interesting me. And then too, I'd have to haul it all the way back to IN from the Chicago suburbs area. Probably too much bother. I really like the shiny black machines, but these dull black rough ones are interesting me too. I don't think they'd go way down on the price any way. thanks for telling me to wait. I know my hubby would be happier.
    I just got my second 99 (B. 1924) a week or so ago. I did find out looking on the net, that the 99's were electrified in 1921, and the photo at the sewalot site shows one in the case on a table and no foot pedalsshowing, so that must be when the knee bar was invented. Maybe the knee bar one was before the one with the foot pedal.
    I'm an enabler if the situation is right! And I love to fix machines if the price is right. But, to ask premium prices(or even above the going rate) the machine should be in immaculate condition and have all its parts. I buy machines that need love, but I won't pay over a set amount and I stick to that. Because as the old saying goes, "Vintage machines are like buses. Another one will come, you just don't know when." You can always give them an offer and see what happens, but so many people on ebay and CL are dreamers when it comes to these machines!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Miriam, Your mom sounds like she was a frugal and talented lady from all of your tales about her.
    My mom is so frugal it scares us all to death. You know how chicken comes packaged? She washes them out and re-uses those things - she finds all kinds of uses... She put Christmas cookies on them and gave cookies to all the neighbors. She re-uses zip bags. She leaves meat out of the freezer (for hours) to thaw. Oh and that is just the tip of the iceberg.... They have the 'flu' sometimes... My sister is staying there. She says she prays over the food a lot. Worst of it is, my other sister's hubby works for a MAJOR grocery store in town and is the head of food safety... He freaks out when ever he goes over there. He always asks, 'who brought the meat' or he brings the meat. We have had to find creative ways to do family dinners. Mom always used to provide the meat. Nobody will eat hers. She is 86 now and still frugal and a whole lot forgetful.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Miriam, your mother sounds like mine was with the plastic bags. They were a luxury!! I remember how she used to wash them out and put them over a rack to dry. She would save all of them. But then too, you have to remember they went through the depression and WW2 when things were scarce. My mother went through WW1 as well!
    I don't blame your sister for praying well before meals. I think I'd do the same!

Miriam, your mother sounds like mine was with the plastic bags. They were a luxury!! I remember how she used to wash them out and put them over a rack to dry. She would save all of them. But then too, you have to remember they went through the depression and WW2 when things were scarce. My mother went through WW1 as well!
    I don't blame your sister for praying well before meals. I think I'd do the same!
    My mama, God rest her soul, was like that too. She would reheat until it was gone. I got to where I was scared of leftovers at her house. That is why I have a big dog to eat the leftovers here. Mama reused bread and bun packages sometimes and probably had 100 butter bowls when she moved the last time, and after she died, we threw away 50 plastic coffee cans, and that wasn't all of them. I am thrifty somewhat, but I try to stay on this side of hoarding..............except when it comes to sewing machines.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Janis, I was thinking the same about going through the depression and WW2. Miriam, my mom does the same with thawing the meat out on the counter for hours. In some countries, the heavy use of spices are what is used to mask the "old" meat flavors. Well, there are a lot of elderly folks out there that have lived this way. And at least our recycling program in the US has gotten much better. The styrofoam packaging used in meats can be recycled. Maybe you need to tell her not to use that packaging for the cookies, or cover them before using.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    My 1915 AG Mason "Golden Star" looks mighty like the New Glenwood. Mine came in a beautiful cabinet, that I haven't had time to restore yet. Check her out.

Texas Jan

Jan, that's the twin to the New Glenwood, for sure!! 1915, hunh? Great! What size needle does yours take? My needle chart does not list this particular badge, but most of the Masons take a 20x1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    what do you think?
    May 22 - VINTAGE..MARTHA WASHINGTON SEWING MACHINE CABINET - $50 (RIDGECREST) antiques - by owner pic
    I think it's GONE!! Someone really liked it!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Thanks!!! You have some excellent suggestions! I was thinking of taking my old padded bras hardware off to reuse.
    I recently purchased some elastic for bras (FOE, strap, and the other needed one) and fabric. I have enough to make several, and I purchase enough for trial and error. I found a Jalie video tutorial on bra making which looks super easy, an inspiration. I was going to use their pattern for my first homemade bra. I do like your idea of taking a bra that I like apart to use as a pattern. I might just do that for my second bra.

Thanks for posting! I agree that there aren't too many folks out there making their own bras. I did find some blogs that some have posted on their achievements, which is also an inspiration and help. I feel like I treading into unknown territory of the sewing world; at least for me it is a new endeavor or challenge.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Would either of you mind if I started a thread over in general chit chat? I think it is a great topic and we could learn from one another. It is a territory I've not ventured into and the guys might like it if we took it elsewhere..

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Been married nearly 30 years. Your discussion of making your bras doesn't bother me a bit.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe!! Hahaha!!! My DH and I have been married 10 years, but he was married 16 years before that. He STILL blushes whenever me and my sister or mom talk about anything "female"!!

Blog Entries
    So....when we get these bras made, are we going to post pics in the vintage made projects thread?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Been married nearly 30 years. Your discussion of making your bras doesn't bother me a bit.

Joe
    I went to bed last night thinking OMG Monica is so funny! What a subject to bring to our vintage machine shop! Joe, thank you, I was thinking maybe all you guys would think the female side of the board were off their rockers - sometimes I wonder! Monica, at least you got a laugh out of everyone - a little surprised laugh out of me!~ I never even thought about making bras myself, and I would never bring it to the board - but, that is just me! What a crazy bunch we are!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    So....when we get these bras made, are we going to post pics in the vintage made projects thread?
    OMG!!!! Charlee, you have me laughing out loud! Are we all becoming crazy/eccentric or what!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I decided to round out my education. My sister and I were at GW and bought a real basic Brother (sewing machine) and took it apart, oiled it and generally gave it a look see. WELL. WOW. THAT is so NOT progress. We cleaned it, oiled it and tried to make it sew. It's tension doesn't want to adjust enough. At first it looked like the bottom tension was way too tight. I adjusted it where it should be. Then the needle fell out. Sigh. Then I adjusted the top tension - makes some good loops - I'm thinking there isn't much adjusting in the tension. So we adjusted away and then the feed dogs quit for a while. I still don't know why they worked again after we messed with it. Anyway, I'm done. Bed time... LOL Martha can stay up all night and mess with the stupid thing.
    Miriam, your experience with the Brother mirrors my experience with a Brother ages ago. I still don't like those machines - not for me anyway!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    So when you take a cabinet to the dump(ster) do you remove the drawers?? I was conversing with an antique/vintage store owner and she said she has such a hard time selling vintage machines, but the old cabinet drawers sell like hotcakes!! They are used as shelving on walls. This is in my neck of the woods. Don't know about other areas, but I was surprised!!
    Randa, this is something to think about! I hadn't thought much about the drawers!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Nancy,

Here you go:
    Front:

Back:

Round end:

Prickly end:

Bobbin carrier w/bobbin:

Bobbin comparison montage:

In the last picture the bobbin on the left is the one out of the 9W-7. The one on the right came from our FW. Two peas from the same pod.

I have read, that the -7 indicates the change where Singer went to the 221 style bobbin. Not positive that's correct, but it sticks in my mind.

Joe
    Ok Joe I am excited. I have the same 9W machine with only one bobbin. The one bobbin I have doesn't look like the FW bobbins, but it is the same size. My bobbin is solid with one little hole in it - I would have never even thought to try a FW bobbin in the Singer 9W. I am going to give it a go later today! This is exciting news!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    My 1915 AG Mason "Golden Star" looks mighty like the New Glenwood. Mine came in a beautiful cabinet, that I haven't had time to restore yet. Check her out.

Texas Jan
    Wow Texas Jan, am I missing something or is that 'rounded' off look in the back just something Mason did? I don't remember seeing machines with that look before? Oh I love your cabinet and machine!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Candace, look at this machine! I love the looks of it -it is in your neck of the woods!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3035617541.html

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Ok Joe I am excited. I have the same 9W machine with only one bobbin. The one bobbin I have doesn't look like the FW bobbins, but it is the same size. My bobbin is solid with one little hole in it - I would have never even thought to try a FW bobbin in the Singer 9W. I am going to give it a go later today! This is exciting news!

Nancy
    Does your bobbin look like it was turned from a solid piece of metal on a lathe? The early ones were. I have quite a few FW / 9W-7 bobbins that are one piece, but they all have holes in them.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Joe!! Hahaha!!! My DH and I have been married 10 years, but he was married 16 years before that. He STILL blushes whenever me and my sister or mom talk about anything "female"!!
    I was blushing as I typed the message. I blush very easily.

But I got the message! Okay, talk will be of only sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
    candace, look at this machine! I love the looks of it -it is in your neck of the woods!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3035617541.html

nancy
    awe slobber..........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Jan, that's the twin to the New Glenwood, for sure!! 1915, hunh? Great! What size needle does yours take? My needle chart does not list this particular badge, but most of the Masons take a 20x1.
    My New Florence (remember the cabinet with the gold rose decals?) also has the rounded "butt". The Masons take the 20x1 needles, and pre-date 1916 when the AG Mason company sold out to White. The information out there is rather "muddy" with many claiming that the Masons are a badged White, but the documents that I've found indicate that AG Mason was a company on its own until 1916...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    My mama, God rest her soul, was like that too. She would reheat until it was gone. I got to where I was scared of leftovers at her house. That is why I have a big dog to eat the leftovers here. Mama reused bread and bun packages sometimes and probably had 100 butter bowls when she moved the last time, and after she died, we threw away 50 plastic coffee cans, and that wasn't all of them. I am thrifty somewhat, but I try to stay on this side of hoarding..............except when it comes to sewing machines.
    high five on that one!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    SLBAOTCWIROTFL -
    Spewing liquid beverage all over the computer while I roll on the floor laughing...