Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-11-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
HELP l have started cleaning my treadle it was working working ,before l started, now the treadle works but not the machine l have only cleaned the left hand side as yet and oil'd it as well. looking at the bobbin it is trying to go as it moves a little but won't go l am at a loss l was very carefull its like its disconnected but its not. the kneedle is not going up or down its frozen or something can any onew sugest what l can do
Elsie from South Australia
My treadle is a singer 66
Does it move smoothly if you turn the hand wheel?
If so, maybe you got oil on the belt race somehow.
If not, maybe you somehow moved a lint or thread jam so that it is keeping things from moving smoothly. The oil/lint combination can make a hard little wad.
If it is neither of these, some other board member will have more suggestions. Don't worry!
Thank you l will check again l am trying not to panic
Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by olddognewtrick
Thanks so much for info... Is this a good singer? There is just one cam for straight stitching but that will work for now.
I remembered, you got a 503? That is the Rocketeer and a very nice machine! I have the 503a pictured on page 683 and I love that machine for decorative stitches and monogramming! You can get cams on e-bay, just watch for them at reasonable rates. It seems the Rocketeer all of a sudden has sparked interest and the price of the machine is sky rocketing!

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
I got my 15-91 all cleaned up and in her new home. the cabinet that I used with my stylist on the top with a cutting board holding it up. This fit right in the slot like it was made for her. My problem is that it has a loud clanking noise under in the bobbin area. It sews a perfect stitch tho. Can anyone help me here? will try to send pics.
That 15-91 looks right at home in that cabinet! Congratulations on the 15-91's fit in your family. You will love that machine.

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher

I've been busy this week-end and I'm catching up on reading. I am no longer using these photos of vintage machines because they appear to be copywrited. I have had that one for a while in my photo file and I might order it. I really like it. Thanks for pointing it out to me, don't want to get anyone in trouble by just using an avatar.
Farmstitcher, the new Avator looks like a photo too? Where was that one taken? Pretty cool looking with that dog sitting on the donkey.

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The outside skin of the machine is in halves and they come apart so you can see the "Skeleton" of the machine. One of you should take yours apart so everyone can see the insides of the machine. If I remember right it is only a few screws and your there.

Billy
Wow, Billy I would like to see those pictures!

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 AM

Damascas Treadle machine--Looking for date information. I bought this sweetheart about 15 years ago. Her cabinet was falling apart and she came home in the pickup with three sacks of broken off pieces. I restored the cabinet and have been trying to find out about her. I just found this part of the Board, so I'm hoping. She was like a time capsule. I have the owners manual, tools manual, all kinds of attachments, two shuttles, OLD needles, measuring tape--everything. All for $50.00 which was a bargin back then. I haven't tried to work her, but am anxious now to get her oiled and see about her.

Can anyone help???
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182616.jpe   attachment-182617.jpe   attachment-182618.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I was going through and looking at some history on the singer. I thought I would share this with you. I thought it was interesting.
http://www.historyofquilts.com/sewmach.html
Snowquilt, that is a very interesting article. Thank you for sharing. It is pretty funny too the way women were preceived as not being smart enough to run a sewing machine and too 'excitable.' Thanks for the link.

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Finally some pictures! She is dated Feb 25, 1959, lot of 50,000.
Wow, what a great find! I don't think those Spartans came in a cabinet very often!

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
HELP l have started cleaning my treadle it was working working ,before l started, now the treadle works but not the machine l have only cleaned the left hand side as yet and oil'd it as well. looking at the bobbin it is trying to go as it moves a little but won't go l am at a loss l was very carefull its like its disconnected but its not. the kneedle is not going up or down its frozen or something can any onew sugest what l can do
Elsie from South Australia
My treadle is a singer 66
Elsie, you didn't loosen the bobbin winder clutch to disengage the needle did you while cleaning? Have you removed the bobbin plate and throat plate to make sure there is no thread caught in the hook/race thingy, which is causing the machine to lock up? Are you trying to run the machine with the handwheel or the treadle? What about the thread regulator knob, is it turned all the way down so the machine wants to stitch in place?

Nancy
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Damascas Treadle machine--Looking for date information. I bought this sweetheart about 15 years ago. Her cabinet was falling apart and she came home in the pickup with three sacks of broken off pieces. I restored the cabinet and have been trying to find out about her. I just found this part of the Board, so I'm hoping. She was like a time capsule. I have the owners manual, tools manual, all kinds of attachments, two shuttles, OLD needles, measuring tape--everything. All for $50.00 which was a bargin back then. I haven't tried to work her, but am anxious now to get her oiled and see about her.
Can anyone help???
I think Billy can give you contact information for Damascus Annie, who is the expert on the Damascus. You did a fantastic job on restoring the parlor cabinet.