Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 892 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 392 792 842 882 891 892 893 902 942 992 1392 ... LastLast
Results 22,276 to 22,300 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #22276
    JaneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ok, so now I have a question for all of the incredible knowledgeable folks on this board...I got a beautiful Singer 401A from a craig's list seller today. It's pristine, case is fabulous, but the machine seems to be frozen up. I've cleaned and unstuck the camshaft, and the knobs move smoothly, I took off the hand wheel and cleaned there. When I undo the clutch knob, the motor spins the bobbin winder speedy and perfectly, so the motor seems to be strong. It is the main shaft that doe not turn and the needle bar doesn't move. I have used kerosene, then oiled the dickens out of it. Even added gentle heat with the hairdryer. It moves just a fraction. Basically I have tried all the tricks I know. Do any of you have any other thoughts??? Or do I just need to develop a sense of patience? BTW when I got the machine and the attachments and the instruction manual, I also got the card table with the cutout to fit the slants!!!! It is pristine, too! paid $40.00 for all. So I hope I can get this 401 up and running! Help please!

  2. #22277
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    Ok, so now I have a question for all of the incredible knowledgeable folks on this board...I got a beautiful Singer 401A from a craig's list seller today. It's pristine, case is fabulous, but the machine seems to be frozen up. I've cleaned and unstuck the camshaft, and the knobs move smoothly, I took off the hand wheel and cleaned there. When I undo the clutch knob, the motor spins the bobbin winder speedy and perfectly, so the motor seems to be strong. It is the main shaft that doe not turn and the needle bar doesn't move. I have used kerosene, then oiled the dickens out of it. Even added gentle heat with the hairdryer. It moves just a fraction. Basically I have tried all the tricks I know. Do any of you have any other thoughts??? Or do I just need to develop a sense of patience? BTW when I got the machine and the attachments and the instruction manual, I also got the card table with the cutout to fit the slants!!!! It is pristine, too! paid $40.00 for all. So I hope I can get this 401 up and running! Help please!
    you might try leaving the machine in the hot sun... sometimes heat does help. yes and patience. I have one I used copious amounts of 3 in 1 oil on (aren't I smart???) believe me that was one stuck up machine when that stuff set up. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. Keep at it is all I can say - it will free up. You can also turn it on it's side and use more kerosene. Turn it on it's ends - get the kerosene in all the cracks - well, not the motor.

    I got a 403 today! It is all spicked up now but runs a bit slow for me. I think I'll try a different foot control tomorrow. Motor is quiet.

  3. #22278
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?

  4. #22279
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?
    I'm looking for top hat disks. Just got a 403 with none.

  5. #22280
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    You got it...are there part numbers, or just the black top hats? (They usually go cheap in the antique and thrift stores!)

  6. #22281
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    You got it...are there part numbers, or just the black top hats? (They usually go cheap in the antique and thrift stores!)
    they should be for Singer 400, 500 or 600 series machines. They look like top hats.

  7. #22282
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    It's on my list, do you have a price range you're thinking of?

  8. #22283
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?
    I'm looking for top hat disks. Just got a 403 with none.
    I've got some, but I'm out of town for a couple of days for family problem. I can check for the cam #s probably by wed.

  9. #22284
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?

    Charlee, I need some disk for my 500. I have 1,2,4,&5 only. If you find some let me know and I will be more than happy to reinburse you. Kathie S.

  10. #22285
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'll keep my eyes open Kathie! :)

  11. #22286
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I'll keep my eyes open Kathie! :)
    Thank you so much. Have a wonderful trip. Kathie

  12. #22287
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?
    Ewww, sounds like fun. Let's see... wish list... chocolate, mmm... oh sewing machine stuff. A metal darning foot for a Singer 301... ALL metal, no plastic, please. :shock:

    PS: have wonderful time together. :-D

  13. #22288
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

    I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
    I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...t-SCF60793.htm is this what you are talking about?
    Thank you Miriam and HobbyKat. This is what I am actually looking for but for the 301 slant shank.

    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...?categoryId=-1

  14. #22289
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?
    Ewww, sounds like fun. Let's see... wish list... chocolate, mmm... oh sewing machine stuff. A metal darning foot for a Singer 301... ALL metal, no plastic, please. :shock:

    PS: have wonderful time together. :-D
    I saw your earlier post...I'm on it!! ;)

  15. #22290
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    :thumbup: Thanks Charlee. I do hope you and William have a wonderful, relaxing time and that highway travel is safe and sane for you. :-D

  16. #22291
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks Linda! :) I'm sure we'll have a good time...and I'm betting I come home with another machine.. :lol:

  17. #22292
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Thanks Linda! :) I'm sure we'll have a good time...and I'm betting I come home with another machine.. :lol:
    Really?????

  18. #22293
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Thanks Linda! :) I'm sure we'll have a good time...and I'm betting I come home with another machine.. :lol:
    Really?????
    ~grin~ What can I say? They follow me around the store BEGGING me to take them home with me...they sound so pathetic that I usually give in.... ;)

  19. #22294
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Been lurking, again. I never seem to know what to say to add to the conversation. LOL Wish I could go to California to the TOGA, I have 2 of my machines almost ready to treadle with, just trying to figure them out, then will practice til I get it right. I'm putting on a retreat at a camp on the lake in November, if anyone is interested, PM me for the info. I have a few QB members coming.

    If you lived close by, I would show you how to treadle. And if you could have made it to the CA TOGA, I would be helping you! Sounds like you have the right idea of putting on a retreat, good luck and have fun!

  20. #22295
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    ]My "new" Brother machine (from eBay), I LOVE the color---looks like Black Raspberry ice cream....yum. [/quote]

    OT----------I saw Black Raspberry ice cream in the store the other day and had to leave it there. As much as I like black raspberries, I'd have sat down with a spoon and the carton and that would have been that.

  21. #22296
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ok M'friends! This week, William and I are going to the coast for our days off, and will be doing some junkin' while we're there...anyone have a wishlist of stuff I should look for?

    Charlee, I need some disk for my 500. I have 1,2,4,&5 only. If you find some let me know and I will be more than happy to reinburse you. Kathie S.
    The 500's only come with 1-5 and don't need the rest because they are built in.

  22. #22297
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

    I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
    I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...t-SCF60793.htm is this what you are talking about?
    Thank you Miriam and HobbyKat. This is what I am actually looking for but for the 301 slant shank.

    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...?categoryId=-1
    Did you try Aprils1930...

  23. #22298
    Super Member Quilt Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Headed home
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    miriam - if that virginia creeper is anything like poision ivy in my yard - round-up doesn't kill it. takes something stronger. i'm sure you know that if you're sensitive to it that burning it anywhere near you is a no-no.
    There is a round-up product specific to poison ivy. I used it with good results just last year. I do not know if it will take out the virginia creeper.

  24. #22299
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    miriam - if that virginia creeper is anything like poision ivy in my yard - round-up doesn't kill it. takes something stronger. i'm sure you know that if you're sensitive to it that burning it anywhere near you is a no-no.
    There is a round-up product specific to poison ivy. I used it with good results just last year. I do not know if it will take out the virginia creeper.
    we have both PI & VC anyway...

  25. #22300
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,744
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

    I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
    I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...t-SCF60793.htm is this what you are talking about?
    Thank you Miriam and HobbyKat. This is what I am actually looking for but for the 301 slant shank.

    http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...?categoryId=-1
    Did you try Aprils1930...
    Yes, I did. Some darning feet have metal until you get to the part that touches the fabric. I may have to go with the plastic. I can still cut out the front so that I have better vision of where I am going. So far, I have gone through 3 pages of a Google search for such a thing as an all metal darning foot for Singer 301. :-D

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.