Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 442 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 342 392 432 441 442 443 452 492 542 942 1442 ... LastLast
Results 11,026 to 11,050 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #11026
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.

    I have a model 27 that I installed a belt on this morning.

    Let me preface this with... this is my first ever treadle and I am learning (using a big curve) ;)

    Anyway, I have the belt on, but it seems really hard to get started and then as I get the peddle moving the belt seems to slip. Is it operator error in the form of not knowing the proper "treadle technique" or is my belt too loose?

    Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!!
    Denise, have you oiled the treadle iron joints and pedal joints? If no, you need to do that, if yes you probably have oil in the belt groove. You will need to wipe the belt groove off in the treadle irons and on the wheel belt groove. You also need to wipe the belt to make sure there is no oil residue on the belt itself from when you cleaned and oiled the machine. Also, if your belt is old and hardened leather, slick feeling, you probably need to get a newer more pliable belt. I had trouble with my Free treadle's belt slipping because it had an original belt that had hardened. I put a new belt on and solved the problem.

    Your belt should be loose enough that you have a little play in it, but not so loose it can be removed from the wheel easily. And, yes when I started to learn to treadle I had a LOT of operator error with my feet. I would go back and forth and just break threads! My husband had no problem at all -- so irritating! It takes practice! I learned on a 27 -- loved to sew with that old gal.

    Nancy

  2. #11027
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

    I have a National with the strange face plate; it has a TV on top of it right now, but I will get to it as soon as I can and see if I can remember how to thread it. If not, I will find someone who can.
    Miz Johnny, I knew I could count on you!

    Nancy

  3. #11028
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    DH and I picked up an old Brother in a cabinet this am for free. After replacing the power cord wires and a new foot pedal, she will be ready to go. Does ZZ but that is all the extra. Also needs bobbin case and bobbins. Will probably trash the cabinet.
    There was a 66 in a nice BW case at the thrift store. They wanted $80, so it stayed. There was also an Elna BU for $40, but someone else grabbed it up. Didn't get a chance to check it out.

  4. #11029
    Senior Member denise d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    from Fl currently in Indiana
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.

    I have a model 27 that I installed a belt on this morning.

    Let me preface this with... this is my first ever treadle and I am learning (using a big curve) ;)

    Anyway, I have the belt on, but it seems really hard to get started and then as I get the peddle moving the belt seems to slip. Is it operator error in the form of not knowing the proper "treadle technique" or is my belt too loose?

    Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!!
    Denise, have you oiled the treadle iron joints and pedal joints? If no, you need to do that, if yes you probably have oil in the belt groove. You will need to wipe the belt groove off in the treadle irons and on the wheel belt groove. You also need to wipe the belt to make sure there is no oil residue on the belt itself from when you cleaned and oiled the machine. Also, if your belt is old and hardened leather, slick feeling, you probably need to get a newer more pliable belt. I had trouble with my Free treadle's belt slipping because it had an original belt that had hardened. I put a new belt on and solved the problem.

    Your belt should be loose enough that you have a little play in it, but not so loose it can be removed from the wheel easily. And, yes when I started to learn to treadle I had a LOT of operator error with my feet. I would go back and forth and just break threads! My husband had no problem at all -- so irritating! It takes practice! I learned on a 27 -- loved to sew with that old gal.

    Nancy
    Nancy,
    I did oil the joints after I asked for help. That seemed to help but still the belt was slipping... I shortened it... now it is too tight.

    ARGH!

    Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.

    Thanks for the help. I am so Type A that this is a very painful process, but I will win.... a 118 yr old machine can not beat me! :):)

  5. #11030
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    [quote=denise d][quote=BoJangles]
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.
    Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.
    quote]

    The more you use the treadle you will find you may need to shorten it several times. Yes, it will stretch some more. Hang in there, girl. You will be victorious!!! :lol:

  6. #11031
    Senior Member denise d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    from Fl currently in Indiana
    Posts
    399
    [quote=tomilu][quote=denise d]
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.
    Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.
    quote]

    The more you use the treadle you will find you may need to shorten it several times. Yes, it will stretch some more. Hang in there, girl. You will be victorious!!! :lol:
    Thanks... I am guessing that it may take a few days, weeks, months years...LOL but hey... no sense in being good at everything when you first start.;-)

    Less than a year sewing, 2nd week owning a treadle... guess I should slow down and enjoy the process. :banghead:

  7. #11032
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    [quote=denise d][quote=BoJangles]
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.

    I have a model 27 that I installed a belt on this morning.

    Let me preface this with... this is my first ever treadle and I am learning (using a big curve) ;)

    Anyway, I have the belt on, but it seems really hard to get started and then as I get the peddle moving the belt seems to slip. Is it operator error in the form of not knowing the proper "treadle technique" or is my belt too loose?

    Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!!
    Denise, have you oiled the treadle iron joints and pedal joints? If no, you need to do that, if yes you probably have oil in the belt groove. You will need to wipe the belt groove off in the treadle irons and on the wheel belt groove. You also need to wipe the belt to make sure there is no oil residue on the belt itself from when you cleaned and oiled the machine. Also, if your belt is old and hardened leather, slick feeling, you probably need to get a newer more pliable belt. I had trouble with my Free treadle's belt slipping because it had an original belt that had hardened. I put a new belt on and solved the problem.
    a 27 -- loved to sew with that old gal.

    Go to Treadlelady.com. She is very good and has a great book for sale for only $10 and that includes s/h.
    I too have a 27 and need to learn how to operate it, but
    I am afraid of the shuttle and to wind it also. Kathie

  8. #11033
    deema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    I need help with my featherweight, my patience is wearing very thin. LOL it atarted skipping stitches. i cleaned, oiled etc, it sewed for about ten minutes. DH cleaned, oiled, etc. i changed needle. have threaded and rethreaded, still skipps, even worse. it looks to me like the bobbin is the issue. the thread does not 'loop' around the bobbin case only once in several stitches. im thinking it is ssome dumb thing i am doing wrong, or missing. PLEASE help put me out of my misery. thanks.
    Check under the bobbin case base for a thread wrapped in there. I just got my Featherweight and my stitches were allllll messed up. Tension was screwy, skipping stitches, the whole nine. Since I'd just gotten, I took it all apart to clean it and found two threads wrapped under the bobbin case base. Grab a flashlight and some tweezers. Use the wheel on the side to manually turn it while you're looking in the hole with the bed extension up. Shine the flashlight in there, and look for thread ends. Be careful pulling it out if you find one - if it's wrapped, it will need to be UNwrapped, not just pulled and broken. I found a piece of thread a good 6" long wrapped around mine, and another piece 2-3" long also. Two different threads I'd never used! lol As soon as I got those out, my problem was solved. Good luck!

  9. #11034
    deema's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,317
    Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #11035
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
    Beautiful machine, thank you for sharing. Kathie

  11. #11036
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    474
    That is a beauty!! This forum has given me lots of confidence as well. Thanks to everyone for all the input. It makes a person feel more secure to see that he/she is not the only one who had a problem with a machine, and can reference other owner's solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!

  12. #11037
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    [quote=denise d][quote=tomilu]
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by denise d
    Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.
    Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.
    quote]

    The more you use the treadle you will find you may need to shorten it several times. Yes, it will stretch some more. Hang in there, girl. You will be victorious!!! :lol:
    Thanks... I am guessing that it may take a few days, weeks, months years...LOL but hey... no sense in being good at everything when you first start.;-)

    Less than a year sewing, 2nd week owning a treadle... guess I should slow down and enjoy the process. :banghead:
    Cool! only sewing less than a year and you got yourself a treadle!
    To start treadling, you help the machine along by turning the hand wheel ( kind of like a push). It takes some time getting use to that and each machine acts differently. Some machines work smoothly and others gallop along. You can always loosen the wheel and just treadle without sewing for awhile to help stretch the belt.

  13. #11038
    JaneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    1
    Beautiful machine....I am in one of those "machines will find you modes."..First, picked up a lovely 319 W2 at an estate sale today with a trapezoid case (like my 301) and all the cams and bobbins etc. It's basking in oil right now before I sew with it.

    Also some featherweight questions. I have the chance to get a white featherweight for a great price, but it's missing it's Singer emblem..Is there a place I can get a replacement (Billy?, anyone?) Also there was a book several members recommended for learning /fixing your featherweights..what is it called?
    If you guys could help..I'd really appreciate it. I love this group! Will post photos of my 319w2 soon!
    Jane :)

  14. #11039
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Monica, or any one in my area, here is a Model 15-90 that is pretty close to me. I love my 15-88 and really want another 15-88 because, I have mine set up exclusively for free motion quilting. Well, this 15-90, I know can have the motor removed and dropped into a treadle very easily.

    What would be a fair price to offer him? I am not going to pay $75 for the machine as I got my 15-88 in her treadle for $45 - and she is in really nice shape.

    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2235250801.html

    Nancy
    Nancy, Why do you want another Singer 15s? Don't you own a Singer 66s? I wouldn't get another Singer 15, unless it was a Japanese made one. If you are going to just use the machine for piecing or straight stitch quilting use what you already have. If I remember correctly, you own a Davis, a White, a New Home, Pfaff, and some other gorgeous machines that will all will work for you. :)

  15. #11040
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Miz Johnny or Purplefiend, or anyone else who can be of help,

    Who made the Majestic sewing machine? New Home or National?
    And is New Home just a National?

    Here is one on CLs: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/for/2236104979.html

    I googled Majestic and some of the cabinets are very pretty, but the machines look older than this one on CLs.

  16. #11041
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    [quote=Kathie S.][quote=denise d][quote=BoJangles][quote=denise d
    I too have a 27 and need to learn how to operate it, but
    I am afraid of the shuttle and to wind it also. Kathie[/quote]

    Kathie, Just follow this tutorial that Donna Kohler made on winding a shuttle bobbin. That was what I did to learn how to wind my bobbin for my Davis NVF. I also only hold the thread and guided it while it is winding, like Donna does towards the end of this tutorial; it winds much better that way.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-CG8RMU

  17. #11042
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by emmah
    Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, got sidetracked...majorly...by a visit to PA with family and to pick up three...3..sewing machines, two of them treadle and a singer 99k. Attached is the treadle base that I had before that is missing pitman.
    Its a wood one, I do not have one but I can see about finding the plans on making the correct one for you.

    Billy

  18. #11043
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Oh if someone wants a nice 301A that came out of my personal collection then hit the classifieds.......

    Billy

  19. #11044
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
    Beautiful Featherweight! By that face plate, you have one of the very oldest!

    Nancy

  20. #11045
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Hey Billy! No questions, just wanted to share my new baby with you. Thanks to your cleaning tutorial, I felt confident in taking her apart for a thorough cleaning during which I was able to solve a loose/skipped stitch problem by finding some threads wrapped in the bobbin case base! Now she sews like a dream and purrs like a content, clean, oiled little kitten. ;) So thank you for all of the tute's you've done! I never would have been so brave without them!
    Oh she is a beauty!!! I am glad that the tutorials are actually helpful. The basic premise of them can be applied to any vintage machine.

    Billy

  21. #11046
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Nancy, Why do you want another Singer 15s? Don't you own a Singer 66s? I wouldn't get another Singer 15, unless it was a Japanese made one. If you are going to just use the machine for piecing or straight stitch quilting use what you already have. If I remember correctly, you own a Davis, a White, a New Home, Pfaff, and some other gorgeous machines that will all will work for you. :)
    Monica you are right, I have several really nice machines, but the only treadle I have that has a true reverse and can drop its feed dogs is the 15-88. I am doing all my piecing at home on my Free treadle -- I love that machine, but, when I get to the point of putting on the borders or finishing the top, I want to use a machine that has the capability to back tack. I always backtack my borders so when I either quilt them on my long arm or do free motion the quilt won't come apart. That is the only reason I wanted to get another 15. My 66 does not have a reverse, nor does my 127, 9W, Wheeler & Wilson, Davis, Free, nor my 28. I have my motorized machines that all reverse of course, but I wanted a treadle that has that function. That is why I love my 15-88. It does it all! But, right now I have the feed dogs dropped and it is set up for FM only.

    I know, you are going to say our forequilter's did it without reverse! I can stitch in place by holding the fabric back or turning the stitch down to a tiny stitch in place! LOL!~ And you are right of course! Well, I haven't made an offer on the 15-90 - so, I am obviously thinking along the same lines!

    Nancy

  22. #11047
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    A 66-18 is a backtack model but do like I do and when you get to the end of the run with the needle up I lift the presserfoot and push the material back a 1/2" and sew back over the previous stitch.

    Billy

  23. #11048
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Miz Johnny or Purplefiend, or anyone else who can be of help,

    Who made the Majestic sewing machine? New Home or National?
    And is New Home just a National?

    Here is one on CLs: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/for/2236104979.html

    I googled Majestic and some of the cabinets are very pretty, but the machines look older than this one on CLs.
    Cooper lists Majestic as being made by New Home. My granddaughter is asleep in the sewing room (where my reference books are), so can't check to see if there are others who made a Majestic.
    New Home and National were two separate companies.

  24. #11049
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Monica, or any one in my area, here is a Model 15-90 that is pretty close to me. I love my 15-88 and really want another 15-88 because, I have mine set up exclusively for free motion quilting. Well, this 15-90, I know can have the motor removed and dropped into a treadle very easily.

    What would be a fair price to offer him? I am not going to pay $75 for the machine as I got my 15-88 in her treadle for $45 - and she is in really nice shape.

    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2235250801.html

    Nancy
    Nancy, Why do you want another Singer 15s? Don't you own a Singer 66s? I wouldn't get another Singer 15, unless it was a Japanese made one. If you are going to just use the machine for piecing or straight stitch quilting use what you already have. If I remember correctly, you own a Davis, a White, a New Home, Pfaff, and some other gorgeous machines that will all will work for you. :)
    I would buy any reasonably priced 15-88, 15-90 or 15-91 I could find, simply because they are such great machines and there's always someone looking to find one. I've had two 15-88s; I traded one off for an older machine I coveted!

  25. #11050
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    Also some featherweight questions. I have the chance to get a white featherweight for a great price, but it's missing it's Singer emblem..Is there a place I can get a replacement (Billy?, anyone?) Also there was a book several members recommended for learning /fixing your featherweights..what is it called?
    If you guys could help..I'd really appreciate it. I love this group! Will post photos of my 319w2 soon!
    Jane :)
    Jane, I wonder how the emblem came up missing? A great book for all featherweight owners is "Freatherweight 221 The Perfect Portable and Its Sitches Across History by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. She gives you some history and all the maintenance information you will need - a really good book to own if you have a FW.

    Here is my white FW.

    Nancy

    1964 White Featherweight
    Name:  Attachment-133572.jpe
Views: 79
Size:  33.0 KB

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.