Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 402 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 302 352 392 401 402 403 412 452 502 902 1402 ... LastLast
Results 10,026 to 10,050 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #10026
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Remember me posting those machines in my area yesterday from Craigslist?. Well they had to come home with me today! One is a Wilcox and Gibbs, April 17, 1883. The other one is a New Home T No 3. I can't find any information on the New Home. The serial number is T4226673. Does anyone know how to date the New Home. I found some information on Needlebar (I tread lightly there). It looks like it was only manufactured as a HC. It is so cute, a little 3/4 size machine!
    Here is a picture of the New Home.

    Nancy, great!! Glad you got them.

    Will post the Wilcox and Gibbs later -- love that little W&G treadle. The treadle is really cute with feet for the pedal! Both of these machines belonged to the owner's grandmother, then mother, now me! I am hopeless!

    Nancy
    I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat--so beautiful!

    Charles Law dates the New Home T3 (Climax Model T class) 1910's - 20's. It was also produced as an electric. (I've seen several of those.)

  2. #10027
    Senior Member tweetee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    542
    Hello everyone

    Dumb question, I accquired a 201k and a 99k from ebay, and both o fthem have the knee bar operation. Can these also be operated with the foot pedal? I have another 99k that has the foot pedal, and Im not sure if the other can be operated with it too. The plugs are the same, but I certainly dont want to blow it up!

    Also, the 201k came with no bobbins, does this take the flat sided bobbins, or the curved sided, the same as the 99k? The 201 is a 1953 model, so cast iron, not the newer shape as I have seen some of them.

  3. #10028
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Actually, I finished my niece's purple and blue quilt tonight, in time for guild show and tell Thursday, then pack her up and mail it in time for her birthday , first week of March. Wahooo![/quote]

    Here it is upon your request :)[/quote]

    Wow! What a nice 3D effect!!!

  4. #10029
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Miz Johnny, Do you have one of these? A spool holder.

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2199746215.html
    Nice, but I don't like the legs on it!!

    Here is one of mine, I have a really pretty one in the basement; for some reason I have no pictures!!

    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...60112712WOZPiK
    I knew it! Way cool! Yours is so pretty. Yeah, I don't like the legs either, but the box is interesting. Just something I found in my travels the other night. Thanks for sharing yours!

  5. #10030
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    177

  6. #10031
    Senior Member Weedwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mare
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mare
    uhhmm.. I'm starting to think I'm a bit loopy.
    Saw this and liked it.. not even a singer but sure is a mess :roll: tiime to shoot me? lol
    It's a nice old White. Just needs some tlc.
    Thank you. I already luv her!! I even moved everything in that room to give her top space! Waiting for the man to head up in this direction this summer.. I think I will keep him kinda busy with a few. I did buy some stuff for cleaning after I picked her up... and some cotton balls. Will practice on my least favorite one! Geesh.. I now have 6 machines in less than 2 weeks. I think I need rehab!!
    There is no rehab, I've already checked......

  7. #10032
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mare
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mare
    uhhmm.. I'm starting to think I'm a bit loopy.
    Saw this and liked it.. not even a singer but sure is a mess :roll: tiime to shoot me? lol
    It's a nice old White. Just needs some tlc.
    Thank you. I already luv her!! I even moved everything in that room to give her top space! Waiting for the man to head up in this direction this summer.. I think I will keep him kinda busy with a few. I did buy some stuff for cleaning after I picked her up... and some cotton balls. Will practice on my least favorite one! Geesh.. I now have 6 machines in less than 2 weeks. I think I need rehab!!
    There is no rehab, I've already checked......
    UHOh no rehab? You mean I probably will continue on this route forever? hmmmmm

  8. #10033
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Ill post photos of the cabinet in a bit and the treadle still needs to be picked up. I ran out of room in the car for another machine so I have to go back and get it.

    The machine will be in my "Clean the Studio" sale. ;-)

    Billy
    and when is this Clean the Studio sale?

    Also, be prepared when you go northerly you have some things in Maine to do. I got another today.... I talked to Bonehead and he doesn't care, so life is good. He is snoring on the floor...buggah!

  9. #10034
    a regular here Donna Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lebanon Maine
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    Well there ya go again. I leave this board alone for 3 hours and BAM, 4 more pages of posts to read. How am I going to get any quilting done?
    Actually, I finished my niece's purple and blue quilt tonight, in time for guild show and tell Thursday, then pack her up and mail it in time for her birthday , first week of March. Wahooo!
    Congratulations! Doesn't it feel good to finish a quilt! We need to see a picture!

    Nancy
    Here it is upon your request :)
    Beautiful!! Love the colors!!

  10. #10035
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mare
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Ill post photos of the cabinet in a bit and the treadle still needs to be picked up. I ran out of room in the car for another machine so I have to go back and get it.

    The machine will be in my "Clean the Studio" sale. ;-)

    Billy
    and when is this Clean the Studio sale?

    Also, be prepared when you go northerly you have some things in Maine to do. I got another today.... I talked to Bonehead and he doesn't care, so life is good. He is snoring on the floor...buggah!
    In a couple of weeks ;)

    Billy

  11. #10036
    Super Member buslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Thumb of Michigan
    Posts
    2,267
    Blog Entries
    7
    love that quilt, may i copy? also, i've been watching this site for a mere coupl of months and have aquired ten vintage machines. i think i have a problem, but i guess as probs go, there are much worse. LOL

  12. #10037
    Senior Member Weedwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    love that quilt, may i copy? also, i've been watching this site for a mere coupl of months and have aquired ten vintage machines. i think i have a problem, but i guess as probs go, there are much worse. LOL
    Amen, Sister. If collecting and using vintage sewing machines is the only addiction we have that requires a needle, I'd say we are doing great. lol

  13. #10038
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    That is a beautiful quilt I love the shadow box design and the colors are amazing!!

    Billy

  14. #10039
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    love that quilt, may i copy? also, i've been watching this site for a mere coupl of months and have aquired ten vintage machines. i think i have a problem, but i guess as probs go, there are much worse. LOL
    Amen, Sister. If collecting and using vintage sewing machines is the only addiction we have that requires a needle, I'd say we are doing great. lol
    I agree with you but I must admit I have a glass or two of wine on the weekends, even have a finger or two of Jack Daniels every now and then.(when my wife lets me) :lol: Glenn

  15. #10040
    Super Member buslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Thumb of Michigan
    Posts
    2,267
    Blog Entries
    7
    I have to admit I spend my share of money on this little addiction, but not nearly as much as many spend on booze and/or drugs. And I get just as high! LOL

  16. #10041
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I dont spend much on my obsession I usually wait until deals find me, but my Long Island Tea bill is way up there!

    Billy

  17. #10042

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    3
    Oh dear l have just read all your chat l would love a treadle again my nanna brought me up to sew in England when l was living with her, then l owned one myself as the children came along now l am in Australia l am looking again even though l have already got four sewing and embroidery machines so your chat was so great so you have a site l can register with so l can see your machines
    Elsie Blight

  18. #10043
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
    Oh dear l have just read all your chat l would love a treadle again my nanna brought me up to sew in England when l was living with her, then l owned one myself as the children came along now l am in Australia l am looking again even though l have already got four sewing and embroidery machines so your chat was so great so you have a site l can register with so l can see your machines
    Elsie Blight
    Sweetie just look through this thread and join this group that I will supply the link and you will be in Vintage machine Heaven!!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

    Billy

  19. #10044
    Senior Member HisPatchwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    992
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
    Do you have any info on my machine Billy? It is a SERATA serial #640765. It is a vibrating shuttle and the manufacturer is the Robert Nelson & Co. I would like to find out how old it is. The wood case is absolutly beautiful and the decals are in pretty good shape.
    I love the lion on that machine! I wish I could help you but I have looked and can't find anything more than you did. Billy/Miz Johnny what do you guys know? I am curious too.

    Nancy
    According to Needlebar, Stoewer made a Serata.

    http://www.stoewer-museum.de/stoewer/bernhstoewere.htm

    http://zigzaggers.typepad.com/zigzag...rnard-stoewer/

    http://needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=181&pos=5
    Thank you Miz Johnny! Do you know how I can find the date it was made? I found a manual that said SERATA, Vibrating Shuttle Sewing Machine,Robert Nelson & Co, Manufacturers of Domestic Machines, London and Branches. There is not any ID from Stoewer. I did see one machine that was #654?71 dated 1904 and mine is # 640765 I downloaded the manual at this website: http://sewingwishlist.com/serata-manuals.html My friend was in England when she was given the machine 20yrs ago and one of the shops called Robert Nelson & Co was in Hastings.{England} http://mylookbackintime.com/Family_S...brill__Manager,_Domestic_Madman.html Interesting that one of the manager's relatives emigrated to Winnepipeg, Canada and one of the links you gave was someone who bought hers in Canada. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures from Needlebar. They said you could get help with dating your machine from Mr Needlebar dating...how? I couldn't find a link.

  20. #10045
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Anyone have any idea what kind of Singer is in this picture in a Craigslist ad, I came across? You really have to love some of the pictures that people put in their ads.... :roll: :mrgreen:

    http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/art/2200961889.html

    I don't think it's a Rocketeer or a 301.

  21. #10046
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    [quote=cabbagepatchkid] You really have to love some of the pictures that people put in their ads.... :roll: :mrgreen:

    Right. I went to see a machine advertised as a White. Well, it was a "white" Singer Stylist series. It stayed there.

  22. #10047
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,329
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    love that quilt, may i copy? also, i've been watching this site for a mere coupl of months and have aquired ten vintage machines. i think i have a problem, but i guess as probs go, there are much worse. LOL
    Absolutely!

  23. #10048
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Anyone have any idea what kind of Singer is in this picture in a Craigslist ad, I came across? You really have to love some of the pictures that people put in their ads.... :roll: :mrgreen:

    http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/art/2200961889.html

    I don't think it's a Rocketeer or a 301.
    Cathy dont you love it when they only show you the rear of the machine? Its not a 301 or a 500 series I am going with something newer.

    Billy

  24. #10049
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Well I think I figured my Domestic out. I have started to really love the pre 1900 machines and looks like they are following me home now. The Domestic I have is apparently somewhere around 1874 to 1880 from what I can tell about its serial number. It comes with its owners manual and there was not a date on it anywhere.

    But here is a catalog page with the machine on it and it is the # 3 family cabinet on the top left. And came with a hefty price back then at $60 a pop!

    Billy

    Doing what we love to do best
    Name:  Attachment-166157.jpe
Views: 256
Size:  79.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #10050
    Super Member buslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Thumb of Michigan
    Posts
    2,267
    Blog Entries
    7
    very cool, love the whole pkg.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.