Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 412 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 312 362 402 411 412 413 422 462 512 912 1412 ... LastLast
Results 10,276 to 10,300 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Anyone recognize the model of the feet...oops I mean machine?
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2211613341.html
    Singer 99

Billy
    Billy - I'm very impressed. You know your machines. I'm just beginning to recognize some of them from the front, usually not the back, and especially not from that poor picture. Course, maybe I was too distracted by the feet. :)
    LOL I could tell because it was short and the mechanics under the bobbin area. If you service as many of these machines as I do you know them with out looking twice!

Billy

I was going to guess 66 on the machine with the towels and feet... Who photographs something like that?

Billy, inspired by what you said about emachines, I actually attempted to sew on my 66 Lotus treadle tonight. I pieced some quilt blocks!! Pretty little sts! It's so tough, tho, to have to yank that handwheel forward to get the ball rolling, and then if I don't keep enough speed the belt slips and the wheels want to go in reverse, which you know breaks the thread... Maybe I need some rosin on the belt? Or maybe my old red leather belt is a little dried out. It feels like it.

Anyway, I have a question: The huge thumbscrew below the bobbin winder is supposed to be the stitch length adjustment. I got it unfrozen with liquid wrench, applied on the screw in front, and the back of it inside the tower (via the rear inspection plate). Now it moves, but only about a quarter turn. That isn't much adjustment, and I can't really see any noticable difference in stitch length. There is about 1/8" of fine threading visible on the shank of that screw, so shouldn't it turn more than just a quarter of a turn? Or were they made to turn only that much?

I LOVED sewing with the treadled 66! The treadle is a little clunky, but the machine itself is so precision and just makes a little "tickety, tickety" sound. I wound a bobbin too, and am just amazed at that whole mechanism. They sure don't make anything like that anymore. Wow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I was going to guess 66 on the machine with the towels and feet... Who photographs something like that?

Billy, inspired by what you said about emachines, I actually attempted to sew on my 66 Lotus treadle tonight. I pieced some quilt blocks!! Pretty little sts! It's so tough, tho, to have to yank that handwheel forward to get the ball rolling, and then if I don't keep enough speed the belt slips and the wheels want to go in reverse, which you know breaks the thread... Maybe I need some rosin on the belt? Or maybe my old red leather belt is a little dried out. It feels like it.

Anyway, I have a question: The huge thumbscrew below the bobbin winder is supposed to be the stitch length adjustment. I got it unfrozen with liquid wrench, applied on the screw in front, and the back of it inside the tower (via the rear inspection plate). Now it moves, but only about a quarter turn. That isn't much adjustment, and I can't really see any noticable difference in stitch length. There is about 1/8" of fine threading visible on the shank of that screw, so shouldn't it turn more than just a quarter of a turn? Or were they made to turn only that much?

I LOVED sewing with the treadled 66! The treadle is a little clunky, but the machine itself is so precision and just makes a little "tickety, tickety" sound. I wound a bobbin too, and am just amazed at that whole mechanism. They sure don't make anything like that anymore. Wow.
    It is supposed to turn several rounds keep working with it and it will eventually get freed up!!

Billy

Banned
    Oh here is a great post that someone just made and they are words to live by...........:mrgreen:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99558-1.htm

Billy

Singer 99

Billy
    Billy, a true testimony to your identification skills.

Blog Entries
    the betsy ross is a childs machine, small, chain stitch, the one i have is green and has a beautiful red case. i will post a picture when i can.

Can anyone guide me to where I can get a manual for Singer 27 VS-2?
    Thanks in advance, Annie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    OMG!! The cabinet for the 99 is worth 3 times the asking price and the rest is free!! Who is in that area?

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    the betsy ross is a childs machine, small, chain stitch, the one i have is green and has a beautiful red case. i will post a picture when i can.
    My friend has a sewing machine that's come down to her through the family... she hasn't even looked at it in years, but since I'm into vintage Singers now, she thought she'd look at it and tell me what it was. All this time she thought it was a Singer. Well, she got it out and said it was a Betsy Ross. I'm waiting for her to send me a picture. It's a regular machine, not the little green toy Betsy Ross machine. Maybe the same company made toys and real sewing machines? Or maybe it was two different companies using the name Betsy Ross? I need to see the picture.

Oh here is a great post that someone just made and they are words to live by...........:mrgreen:

Billy
    Jeeze, now I'm scared to plug in my 201! Our house was wired by bozos and I would have fried, for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by hootnannie
    Thanks in advance, Annie
    http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0673/

You may have to paste that link back together to get there!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hootnannie
    Thanks in advance, Annie
    Here is a PDF from Singer

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Billy

Look what my DH picked up for me for Valentine's Day!!

White 658-7509 Super Deluxe
    Name:  Attachment-129480.jpe
Views: 1588
Size:  46.6 KB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    That is a nice one there!!!! I really love my Japanese 15's, I do not think you can find a better built machine on the planet!!

Billy

It is the cleanest machine I have gotten, besides new. The throat plate looks like a mirror. This is the one that is colored like my first car. And sews like a dream, although we did rewire it, before I read your excitement.
    That is a nice one there!!!! I really love my Japanese 15's, I do not think you can find a better built machine on the planet!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    That is so funny! He must of laid the machine on the floor to take the picture standing above.

Nancy

Blog Entries

Billy
    Geeze, Billy that makes it even more advantageous to stick to treadles! Glad it turned out ok!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Wow, love the White 15!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Miz Johnny or Billy or anyone else - do any of you know how to thread the New Home T NO 3 machine. I have tried sewing with the machine, just turning the wheel and the bobbin thread is all ratty. My machine is pictured on page 665. I can't find a manual nor a threading diagram. I have never threaded one of those machines with the weird tension thingy on top -- not sure how to do it correctly. I really like to get all my machines working, whether I plan on using them or not. I think this machine should sew fine as it has all its parts. I just need help threading it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy

Billy
    I agree with you!! Wonderful machines--that's why they are taking over my house.

Hi , I was wondering if you heard of Artcraft Machine or Craft art machine. I found one for sale. I think they made in 1940-1950.

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Miz Johnny or Billy or anyone else - do any of you know how to thread the New Home T NO 3 machine. I have tried sewing with the machine, just turning the wheel and the bobbin thread is all ratty. My machine is pictured on page 665. I can't find a manual nor a threading diagram. I have never threaded one of those machines with the weird tension thingy on top -- not sure how to do it correctly. I really like to get all my machines working, whether I plan on using them or not. I think this machine should sew fine as it has all its parts. I just need help threading it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy
    Check here and see if any of these manuals will help:

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...achine_Company

The top tension machines are SO VERY easy to adjust!! Much easier than the more modern tensions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Billy
    Jeeze, now I'm scared to plug in my 201! Our house was wired by bozos and I would have fried, for sure...
    That is why I find machines with external motors, belt drive. I love tossing the motors and plopping the machine into the treadle cabinet.
    Happy to read that you are enjoying your treadle. These vintage machines are fun to sew with.

That's an adorable Singer clone. I love the color!