Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 512 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 12 412 462 502 511 512 513 522 562 612 1012 1512 ... LastLast
Results 12,776 to 12,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Tommie, did you say "yard work"? wwe got something like 8" of snow! No school, roads not clear for tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I got stuck, til this morn. Stuck in driveway, not once, but 2X. DH just had major surgery so he's no help. Thank GOD for good neighbors & daughters! I wish I could do yard work!

Blog Entries
    Elsie, if I could choose any place I wanted to visit, Australia would be top! Now I want to come even more, just to see your machines. Thanks for sharing, that goes for everyone on this board! Spent the day cutting material and working on my new sewing space. Can't wait to get it done so I can enjoy it. HAPPY STITCHING!!

Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Tommie, did you say "yard work"? wwe got something like 8" of snow! No school, roads not clear for tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I got stuck, til this morn. Stuck in driveway, not once, but 2X. DH just had major surgery so he's no help. Thank GOD for good neighbors & daughters! I wish I could do yard work!
    It was 86 in Round Rock,Texas today and my veggie garden is doing nicely.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Anybody know how to date a White Rotory? Serial # FR3221886. Thanks for any help. Storm on saturday killed my computer so I've just gotten back on. Had to buy and set up a new one. Love catching up and tickled to hear of an 18 yr old interested in the old ladies.
    Hi Weedwoman ~ Your White Rotary was manufactured in 1927. If you are interested in additional information you should check out: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...78886693lsIAUe

It took me a little time to figure out how they catalogued everything but Arachnesobsession has put a lot of effort into to creating a very informative White SM website/album.

Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    Anybody know how to date a White Rotory? Serial # FR3221886. Thanks for any help. Storm on saturday killed my computer so I've just gotten back on. Had to buy and set up a new one. Love catching up and tickled to hear of an 18 yr old interested in the old ladies.
    I was not able to find anything of help on the internet about the White's. My White serial number starts with a FR and I have the manuel that says it is a 1926. I do not know if that will help or not. Kathie
    Weedwoman and Kathie, I have posted this several times. Maybe, you guys missed it, but go to this site. In the middle of the page there will be a header called Serial Number/Dating List. Click on that and a page will come up with machines and a couple pictures of print named White VS 1 through White VS 111 - click on that. You will start you search - go through the pages - there are about 49 pages of serial numbers. Even the badged White machines are listed here. You will find the serial numbers you are looking for!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46696-1.htm
    Nancy

Ok you guys Judy pointed out that I goofed! Here is the White link! http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

I need to go ride a horse! Here in sunny California, we are getting inundated with rain rain rain -- I am going stir crazy!

Buslady when you come Downunder to visit Elsie you can visit me too. How many other Aussies in this group?

Been meaning to say G'day to Elsie but still trying to catch up on other stuff in the group...there's so much happening!!

Elsie, that's a lovely looking machine you have...good on you, hope you enjoy using it.

HatNatNana,
    I have a Singer 99k just like yours, it came to me with a 220 volt motor and no foot pedal. Not that I could've used it in Texas anyhow. Serial # Y8390219 commissioned in 1931.
    Its now a hand crank and my step-granddaughters are learning to make strippy type quilt blocks using it.
    Sharon W.

Purple you could send it to me as 240v is our standard voltage!! LOL I've considered getting a hand crank for mine too, thought it would be good for my grandaughters...then again I have the Minerva handcrank. Speaking of which I must spend some time with her as I was working full time when I bought her and never did get around to getting her fully operational...mind you, I don't think there's anything wrong with the machine, it's most likely the operator!!

Does anyone know where I could find more info on the Minerva? I've done searches but all draw blanks, mainly dating info would be great.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Yesterday I finally took out my Singer 28, determined to get her up and running. I'm really happy how she turned out. I still need to find out how to thread it but the hand crank works s-o-o-o smoothly. It really helped to be able to read through Billy's thread on fixing up the vintage machines while I was doing this.

Here are some before and after pics:
    Cabbagepatchkid, you did a great job cleaning up that machine! Did you use Billy's spa treatment or did you try something else? Please tell us -- it looks like you did not hurt the decals at all!

Nancy
    I have been without internet since I woke up on Monday morning :shock: . Verizon sent me a new router (sp?) Talk about withdrawal...LOL!

I used Billy's tutorial to help me take some of the different parts off. I was nervous about it but he made it look easy and it WAS!
    The only thing I didn't take apart is the tension knob and I think I will give that a try, too.

I used sewing machine oil to clean the machine. I slathered it on, rubbed it around and then let it set for awhile before wiping it off. I did that twice. Then I used No. 7 Chrome & Metal Polish on the shiny parts. It was just like polishing the holiday silverware :-D. I also used it on the Singer emblem and it worked well for that, too.

After I was done cleaning it I gave it a Turtle Wax. Let it dry and then buffed it up. I can't believe how nice it came out!

I haven't actually threaded it yet (need to look up a manual for it) but the bobbin shuttle moves just fine and when I turn the crank handle the feed dogs move the fabric through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Yesterday I finally took out my Singer 28, determined to get her up and running. I'm really happy how she turned out. I still need to find out how to thread it but the hand crank works s-o-o-o smoothly. It really helped to be able to read through Billy's thread on fixing up the vintage machines while I was doing this.

Here are some before and after pics:
    It's gorgeous! Don't you just love getting that chrome to SHINE?
    I love the transformation especially the handwheel. I would love to know how you were able to make the chrome look so nice. Does anyone know if you can over clean the chrome?

Judy
    I used a product called "No. 7 Chrome & Metal Polish". I either picked it up at the local hardware store or at Walmart (I can't remember which). It worked the same as when I use Silver polish on my good silverware. I don't know if you can over clean the chrome or not. I cleaned and rubbed it until it was super shiny but the cloth was still getting tarnish off but I figured it looked good enough.

Thanks everyone for help with the White Rotory. I bookmarked the site for future use. My DH went to a flea market today while in another small town and found a White Rotory in a #83 cabinet. Oh so filthy, but I think we'll try to get the old gal and clean her up if we can work out a fair price. As if I need another machine, but this cabinet looks unique and under the grime I think the decals are pretty good. It has a tail and don't know if it runs or not. We'll soon see.

Blog Entries

Oh boy, if I didn't already have one, I'd really jump on this!! It's only 20 minutes from home. Darn!

Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann63
    Do anyone know what model of Singer this is?
    Can you give us the serial #?
    It looks somewhat similar to my 185j except mine is green.

Bojangles,
    You must be getting all of the rain that we Texans need so badly! We've not had our Winter rains and none so far.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by HanNatNana
    Purple you could send it to me as 240v is our standard voltage!! LOL I've considered getting a hand crank for mine too, thought it would be good for my grandaughters...then again I have the Minerva handcrank. Speaking of which I must spend some time with her as I was working full time when I bought her and never did get around to getting her fully operational...mind you, I don't think there's anything wrong with the machine, it's most likely the operator!!

Does anyone know where I could find more info on the Minerva? I've done searches but all draw blanks, mainly dating info would be great.

Thanks again
    If only shipping weren't so expensive I would be glad to send the motor to you!
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I need to go ride a horse! Here in sunny California, we are getting inundated with rain rain rain -- I am going stir crazy!
    That sounds so wonderful. Maybe I should go call a GF and see if she would be interested in riding this weekend. Hope you have some sunshine and get a chance to get out.

Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HanNatNana
    Buslady when you come Downunder to visit Elsie you can visit me too. How many other Aussies in this group?

Been meaning to say G'day to Elsie but still trying to catch up on other stuff in the group...there's so much happening!!

Elsie, that's a lovely looking machine you have...good on you, hope you enjoy using it.
    Hi l live in South Australia were about are you

Blog Entries
    Another Enabler Alert: http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-sewing-m...item3a646da1c2

I wished I lived in Illinois. This would be a very nice SM for someone :)

I was wondering if any members live close to Frederick, Oklahoma?
    Sorry, I'm all the way across the state East of Tulsa!

:-(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
    I was wondering if any members live close to Frederick, Oklahoma?
    Sorry, I'm all the way across the state East of Tulsa!

:-(
    Well since I am being such an enabler tonight I thought that anyone living in or around Frederick OK might be interested or know something about this place.

http://www.thayerrags.com/ThayerRagsMachines.htm

They have a number of sewing machines that could be cleaned, polished and put back into production. Or if you need parts it might be a good option. Please let us know if this is not a good resource.

Judy

Blog Entries
    Weedwoman, isn't that the 'pits', when your other toy (computer) knocks you out of communication with the SHOP. It takes a couple of days to get caught up around here when you miss just one day of reading. Hope that you find your answer.

Blog Entries
    Is anyone parting out a Pfaff 230? I need the spool pins.

Check out the AWESOME price on this treadle machine in cabinet :shock:

:http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/for/2281013605.html

At first I thought it was a mistake but I see the comma so I assume that is the price that he/she is trying to sell it for.

Blog Entries
    Check out the AWESOME price on this treadle machine in cabinet :shock:

:http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/for/2281013605.html

At first I thought it was a mistake but I see the comma so I assume that is the price that he/she is trying to sell it for.
    That price on this machine is way out of line. They must know something we don't.