Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 502 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 2 402 452 492 501 502 503 512 552 602 1002 1502 ... LastLast
Results 12,526 to 12,550 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    How many people can you put on that boat? I'd be up for a moonlight ride, sweet cream butter on the nanna bread, and I guess I'll bring my own hot tea. Let's see, if I leave here now, I'll get there by mornin'. My tea will be gone, you'll have nothing but crumbs, and the moon will be settin'. Can we get rain checks here?

Blog Entries
    [quote=melinda1962]I finally got in the bobbin case and needles for my two tone green 319W...it is so cool. It does all the stitches. The prior owner had tried to use a 15x1 needle and had turned the needle bar around backwards and such, but with a little adjustment, it is right on track. Happy dance here in LA.

Melinda,
    what type of needle does the 319 take, I need to find some, too and can't remember the type. Brain cramp!
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Great! It'll come out the oven in about 20 minutes. The porch light is on...and oh yes, it's about 73 degrees, clear. The wind's out of the SE at about 2 mph. Perfect for a boat ride... Anyone else in for banana bread, coffee and a night time boat ride? Ahhhhhh....
    You are wrong for this! I am a lover of water and fishing and eating, it doesn't matter where the water is, not too particular what the food is, etc. :lol:
    Heck, girl! If you can come down here to South Florida and find the kinda 'bargains' on machines for me here... that you find in your travels up north... I'll GIVE you a huge slice of warm, fresh banana bread with real, dairy made, non-processed butter - a thermos of hot coffee - and take you and your boy(s) on the boat for DAYS! lol!!!! :mrgreen: Wanna wake board? Um... fishing is good too, need license. Wahoo, snook, tuna, snapper, tilapia... the local 5 star marina we love, has the BEST Grouper Dogs on the planet. Fresh off the boats!
    I would do my best for you! How is the Lobster fishing in your area? The one time I did this, I was in the Keys. Sooooo loved it, even the music was to die for!!! It was at least 10 years or so since I was last there. :mrgreen: Hope to be there around August or so this year. I really liked riding the mini-bikes on Key West. Made me feel young then, so imagine how it will feel in August this year!

Blog Entries
    [quote=Grandmother23]
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    [vintagemotif]

I just haven't quite figured out how to take the metal straight leg Singer irons apart to do that. I'm hoping that someone at the North Texas TOGA next month will help me do just that. I hate the clanking.
    Sharon
    I have a straight leg Singer too. I found it to be a bit noisy until I moved it against a wall and now the National Two Spools sits in it. Just moving it helped with some of the noise.
    OK, I'll bite. What is a straight leg Singer Iron?
    Here is a picture of my Singer straight-leg treadle. I don't know how to rotate the picture, sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

206x13 is the size. I got them from online at a store called http://shop.sew-classic.com/ They were prompt in delivery, and not overly priced.[quote=JaneK]
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    I finally got in the bobbin case and needles for my two tone green 319W...it is so cool. It does all the stitches. The prior owner had tried to use a 15x1 needle and had turned the needle bar around backwards and such, but with a little adjustment, it is right on track. Happy dance here in LA.

Melinda,
    what type of needle does the 319 take, I need to find some, too and can't remember the type. Brain cramp!
    Jane

Blog Entries
    [quote=kwendt][quote=Grandmother23]
    Great! It'll come out the oven in about 20 minutes. The porch light is on...and oh yes, it's about 73 degrees, clear

Heck, girl! If you can come down here to South Florida and find the kinda 'bargains' on machines for me here... that you find in your travels up north... I'll GIVE you a huge slice of warm, fresh banana bread with real, dairy made, non-processed butter - a thermos of hot coffee - and take you and your boy(s) on the boat for DAYS! lol!!!! :mrgreen: Wanna wake board? Um... fishing is good too, need license. Wahoo, snook, tuna, snapper, tilapia... the local 5 star marina we love, has the BEST Grouper Dogs on the planet. Fresh off the boats!
    This all sounds like fun! Winter returned here to the Bay Area, cold rain all day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    I finally got in the bobbin case and needles for my two tone green 319W...it is so cool. It does all the stitches. The prior owner had tried to use a 15x1 needle and had turned the needle bar around backwards and such, but with a little adjustment, it is right on track. Happy dance here in LA. Also, my mom just had to get me another machine, a tan Singer 177C (1970-74, Brazil) in a walnut cabinet. Very utilitarian, no light, but basic straight stitch and zigzag. Sews a great stitch. It threads different, but that's okay. Just something different. Pics later.
    Melinda congrats on getting your 319W working. Have fun with all the decorative stitches! I like using decorative stitches to finish off my bindings since I machine stitch my bindings on.

Blog Entries
    yes the little door is for cams and l have the tool box complete with them l still have to clean her up yet and try different cams l am going to make a start today.

Blog Entries
    [quote=vintagemotif]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    [vintagemotif]

I just haven't quite figured out how to take the metal straight leg Singer irons apart to do that. I'm hoping that someone at the North Texas TOGA next month will help me do just that. I hate the clanking.
    Sharon
    I have a straight leg Singer too. I found it to be a bit noisy until I moved it against a wall and now the National Two Spools sits in it. Just moving it helped with some of the noise.
    OK, I'll bite. What is a straight leg Singer Iron?
    Here is a picture of my Singer straight-leg treadle. I don't know how to rotate the picture, sorry.
    Not a problem. Interesting. My irons are not the same. Once I clean the irons (some sort of sandblasting and I use this term loosely, I will post pictures, I promise, and see afterward if they are as quiet as when I first heard them. I am hoping it will be soothing to the ear, clacking and all. For some reason, I don't mind the clacking. Maybe it is something I heard as a child from my Grandmother's treadle?

Blog Entries
    Oh fantastic l have just learn't what a striaght leg singer is l love getting up to read the pages l learn so much thank you all for sharing am l ok to clean my machine with white vinigar so it does not strip any thing offor should l try something else being in Australia l am a bit unsure how to clean them properly in other words any help would be appreceiated
    Elsie

Blog Entries
    Having a Nostalgic Moment - If you haven't seen this video, it's worth watching. This music video was submitted by Tabitha Pettit for 2010 Sew Mama Sew Serger Contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9m7U7hsMk

Judy

I have a DeLux Sewing Machine, model KTB.

I have the manual and the needle sizes listed are 9,11,14,16,18, and 19. I don't know if stores carry them or not. I live about 70 miles from a city that would have a store that would stock them!
    I also need information on the type of bobbin they take and are they available in stores?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Jan on 446

Blog Entries
    [quote=Grandmother23][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Grandmother23][quote=vintagemotif][quote=purplefiend][vintagemotif]

Not a problem. Interesting. My irons are not the same. Once I clean the irons (some sort of sandblasting and I use this term loosely, I will post pictures, I promise, and see afterward if they are as quiet as when I first heard them. I am hoping it will be soothing to the ear, clacking and all. For some reason, I don't mind the clacking. Maybe it is something I heard as a child from my Grandmother's treadle?

My older classic style Singer treadles are quiet and smooth. But, I recently noticed that my Davis treadle irons are even quieter than the Singer treadle irons. I too like the sound of the treadle, but once you hear a very quiet treadle and machine you feel so comfy and peaceful treadling that you think why can't all my treadles be this way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
    Oh fantastic l have just learn't what a striaght leg singer is l love getting up to read the pages l learn so much thank you all for sharing am l ok to clean my machine with white vinigar so it does not strip any thing offor should l try something else being in Australia l am a bit unsure how to clean them properly in other words any help would be appreceiated
    Elsie
    Use a waterless hand cleaner that does not have pumice in it. I used to know the brand name of the hand cleaner in Australia but it is slipping my mind right now.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Ok, I have a question...I have access to my mother's Kenmore which I learned to sew on. I started sewing at age 12 and that was hmmmmm, let's see, 48 years ago. It is mounted in a cabinet and has the knee lever for sewing. I had it at my house for a long time, then due to space limits, I took her back to my sister's (who swears Mama gave it to her...but she did NOT!) Anyway, my sister doesn't have a clue...it's sitting in her garage. So my question is...should I get her back and research her. Is she old enough to be considered an antique? If I remember correctly, she is a gray color. Don't remember if there are any accessories, etc. but we are finally going thru my Mama's things to clear the estate so I might find them somewhere. Our Mama kept everything.

Should I get her back???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I came home without the little New Home Ruby. She just didn't say 'take me home'. I have no idea which Singer my grandmother's last treadle was, but I think that's what I'm looking for. Anyone want a cute little machine in Middleville, MI - SE of Grand Rapids? I'm glad my 300 mile trip was for a family wedding, not just to see the machine.

I'm going to put my garage saling granddaughters on it this Summer.

BTW, she did treadle very quietly.
    i am looking for a treadle, would u pm me the info? work fulltime, and dh just had total knee replacement so time valuable, but by next wkend i may HAVE to escape!LOL What better way?!! thnx

Blog Entries
    sorry!

Blog Entries
    again!!?

Blog Entries
    [quote=Nanamoms]Ok, I have a question...I have access to my mother's Kenmore which I learned to sew on. I started sewing at age 12 and that was hmmmmm, let's see, 48 years ago. It is mounted in a cabinet and has the knee lever for sewing. I had it at my house for a long time, then due to space limits, I took her back to my sister's (who swears Mama gave it to her...but she did NOT!) Anyway, my sister doesn't have a clue...it's sitting in her garage. So my question is...should I get her back and research her. Is she old enough to be considered an antique? If I remember correctly, she is a gray color. it sounds like your home would be a good place for the machine to live. that said, NOTHING is worth causing a family riff. ive seen a couple of very nice families "go to war" over "stuff". if sis is adamant that it is hers, move on. maybe she will see the light when she sees your other machines and how you care fore/use them. just my 2 cents.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
    A couple days ago I said I would post pictures of the Necchi BU Mira and cabinet that I got off of Freecycle. It came with all the attachments, manual, Wonder wheel and cams. The cords were all rotted and the handwheel wouldn't move by hand at all. The spring on the slide plate was broken and the bobbin winder housing was broken in two. I found replacements on Ebay and Bonanza.
    Judy
    Judy, your Necchi looks brand new! Wow, you are really brave to do the rewiring yourself - I bet she just purrs!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Sharon, Have you found that the non Singer treadle irons are quieter?

I have noticed that with my Davis treadle it seems quieter than the Singer treadles.
    Monica, my Davis groans and moans and gives me a workout, but mine is much older than your NVF. After I had attached the 340 inches of binding to the blue wonky quilt I did she sounded better, but still was like peddling a stationary bike! Good exercise!

My Free is a dream to treadle - so quiet and so smooth and easy! My Singer 15-88 is the same way, really smooth - really soft and quiet -- I can't tell the different between the two when sewing with them!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    It is a "Black Cherry" (base coat Black and a Red Pearl mid coat). Billy
    Billy, you do such a wonderful job! One of these days, I am going to find a FW in not so good shape, and I want you to paint to red for me!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    It is a "Black Cherry" (base coat Black and a Red Pearl mid coat). Billy
    Billy, you do such a wonderful job! One of these days, I am going to find a FW in not so good shape, and I want you to paint to red for me!

Nancy
    I am looking for a not so pretty FW too and want Billie to paint it red. I love the Black Cherry>

Blog Entries
    I have a problem - I have a White 1505. I know it's not a vintage, but wonder if you could help me. I have the corner of the quilt I am putting the binding on, and my needle is stuck half way down. I can not get it to go up or down so the quilt corner is stuck under the needle. How do I get the needle to move so I can get the quilt out??
    I have loosened the needle, the foot, taken the bobbin out. But still have the problem. Do I have to cut off the corner of the quilt to get it out????? Thanks for any info you can give me. KK
    It also squeals when I sew - is there a belt inside that needs to be replaced??
    I hate to say this, but a lot of the 'newer' machines just can't handle that much fabric. I don't know if your White if one of the better machines or one of the lower end Whites, but with those machines it is really easy to burn up the motor. I had a quilt camp here a few years ago for my granddaughter's. One of the girl's had a Brother given to her by her mother from Sears. Well, the little machine was ok if you planned on using it a couple times a year to mend something, but these girls made rag quilts, which is a lot of sewing through 6 layers - if we put a filler between the layers! We burned up that machine, and it was brand new! I went in the talk to Sears about it, this is before I learned about the machines, the guy in Sears said it was the bottom of the line and only meant to be a sometimes used, never really sewing with it, kind of machine! The motor was just not made to really use! I am not saying that is what you have, but people who buy these $100 machines from Walmart and KMart, etc., don't realize those machines are not meant for the serious sewer. Sorry if I offended anyone and I am not saying you have a machine like that, but beware if you do -- you are better off finding a vintage - it doesn't have to be really old, but atleast all metal so you can sew through several layers and use the newer machine for lighter work!

Nancy

Nancy,
    Thank you. As far as the rewiring I don't have a DH to do it and didn't feel like paying someone big money to do it. I just took digital pictures, drew diagrams and made notes. It took me longer to do it but the satisfaction that I could do it is worth it.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
    A couple days ago I said I would post pictures of the Necchi BU Mira and cabinet that I got off of Freecycle. It came with all the attachments, manual, Wonder wheel and cams. The cords were all rotted and the handwheel wouldn't move by hand at all. The spring on the slide plate was broken and the bobbin winder housing was broken in two. I found replacements on Ebay and Bonanza.
    Judy
    Judy, your Necchi looks brand new! Wow, you are really brave to do the rewiring yourself - I bet she just purrs!

Nancy