Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 1792 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 52 102 502 1002 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I am looking for the attachements that go with the 66, some how they got lost alond the way. Grandma was 103 when she gave the machine to me and she could not remember what happened to them. She is long gone now but can see her sewing as if it where this morning.
    I have heard you can convert them to side mount. Is this hard to do?
    Glenn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Ok I have a question. With all the talk about old Singers I decided to check to see what more I could find out about mine. It is a Singer and I was told by a LQS who looked up the serial number that it is a 1950's reproduction of an 1850's model. so I went online to the Singer site. This serial number has an upside down v before the number L236839. On their site they divide the numbers into one letter or two. I was unsure if the upside down V was actually an A or a V. I looked it up both ways and neither one seems right. There are no single letter Ls with the right numbers. And the double numbers AL were made in 32. so I don't know what to think. Got any ideas?
    Okay Rhonda the LQS has not an idea as to what they are talking about!! But they are a quilting shop not a repair shop so that fairly understandable that they would not get it right.

No biggie I have the info on my HD so here we go! You machine is a Singer Model 15 and there were 50,000 of them allotted on Dec 18, 1952. It is not a reproduction it is a standard factory model.

The decal design that you have is called "Triplets" and they were offered on the 15K and 15-91. Which is one of the most sought after Model 15's that Singer came out with.

I hope this helps

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I know that we refer machines as she, but I see members have named thier sewing machines. Should I name mine? This is a new one to me.
    Glenn
    Totally up to you Glenn! :) It's a just a kind of silly thing we girls tend to do...like men naming their cars, we name our machines. ;)

But YES! I think you should name them! What will their names be?

Banned
    I have heard you can convert them to side mount. Is this hard to do?
    Glenn
    You can convert them I have not tried this yet but from what I understand you can take the lug for the back clamp off and you then can use the side clamp attachments. But I am not sure of this.

What you could do is find the presser foot bar for a 66 side clamp and swap them out and then you in like Flint. Not hard to do but the attachments are not as rare and hard to come by as people think.

I am looking for a full set for mine but the ones I have seen were a little more than what I was willing to pay. Personally I would keep it like it is but thats just me. Goodwill, eBay or CL will probably be your best bet in finding the accessories that your looking for.

Oh and I have never named any of my machines although I think its neat that folks do do that. But its just not my cup of tea. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok..as promised...I've posted pics of my vintage machines in other posts (check my profile for topics I've started, one is titled "I think he loves me!" and the other one is titled "Look what followed me home!" for my two "good" treadles, a Singer 9W and a Wheeler & Wilson #8. My Kenmore is shown in "Hey Machine Experts!"
    And I like it!!! You have some wonderful machines Charlee and this one can be a really nice one too! We need to hit the Smithsonian web site for info on your machine the link is:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...wing-Machines/

If anyone want to spend hours on end looking up things about vintage machines this is the place to find original literature, catalogs and inter office memos.

Billy

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Oh and I have never named any of my machines although I think its neat that folks do do that. But its just not my cup of tea. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
    Poor, poor nameless machines...they're nearly orphans!!

:cry:

;) :lol:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee

Billy
    Poor, poor nameless machines...they're nearly orphans!!

:cry:

;) :lol:
    They know Daddy loves them! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

Blog Entries
    I know that we refer machines as she, but I see members have named thier sewing machines. Should I name mine? This is a new one to me.
    Glenn
    Totally up to you Glenn! :) It's a just a kind of silly thing we girls tend to do...like men naming their cars, we name our machines. ;)

But YES! I think you should name them! What will their names be?
    Okay then, the Prussian singer will be called Hilda and Grandma's I think I will call her Grandma since I have always refered to her this way. (I am up stairs sewing on Grandma) :lol: Glenn Thanks

Blog Entries
    I ,like Billy, naming is not my cup of tea but I will name the Prussian singer Hilda and Grandma's will be just Grandma's machine. Glenn

Blog Entries
    I seem to have posted this twice, sorry. Glenn

Banned
    Alrighty then someone was asking about some of my machines so here are the ones that I have uploaded to this computer.

The ones I have not included in these photos are my Singer 185J, 1870 New Home Model A, and my soon to be acquired Singer 500A. I have quite a few parts machines that I am not even including in the list.

Billy

1911 Singer 27 with the Godzilla and blackside finish
    Name:  Attachment-5763.jpe
Views: 4515
Size:  62.7 KB

1900 Singer 24 Industrial
    Name:  Attachment-5821.jpe
Views: 3957
Size:  42.6 KB

1910 Singer 27 "Hot Rod"
    Name:  Attachment-5822.jpe
Views: 4183
Size:  69.9 KB

1921 Singer 66-1 "Red Eye"
    Name:  Attachment-5823.jpe
Views: 4094
Size:  62.9 KB

1963 Kenmore Model 43 Rare Pearl Iris color
    Name:  Attachment-5824.jpe
Views: 4057
Size:  52.8 KB

Blog Entries
    I have got to have me a hot rod. I like it. When I am not playing with my quilts and sewing machines. I am restoring a 1949 Chrysler Windsor.
    Glenn

Banned
    I am fixing to sell my '51 Ford and buy something different what I dont know but I imagine it will be in the late 30's or 40's. I live eat sleep and drink cars and sewing machines along with quilting. :mrgreen:

Billy

Blog Entries
    I have just put a new wiring harness in the 49. I also have a 230SL 1965 Mercedes two seater with German specs brought back From Germany It is sweet!! My wife drives her grandma's 1975 sport nova grandma bought new. It has only 43,000 miles on her.
    Glenn

Jan I looked and can not find the winder for the 66. I have several cast pieces for the VS machines like the 27's but no 66's. :(

And your machine is a side clamp so it will not be a 66-1 I think it is a 66-2 the 66-1, 66-3 were back clamp and also the 66-1 did not have the boss to bolt a motor or a hand crank to.

But it is such a nice machine!!!!!

Billy
    Thank you Billy for all of your help and looking for my bobbin winder.

If anyone has a spare bobbin winder that would fit my machine or any place I can get one, please PM me.

What other models could I use for the part? :?:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    What other models could I use for the part? :?:
    After digging through my parts manuals only a 66 will fit a 66. I was thinking a 99 might would work but not so. They use the same bobbin but the casting is different.

You might get lucky and find a parts machine at a flea market or on CL, or just find the part itself on eBay or here.

Billy

Banned
    Just wanted to hijack and say thanks to all of you for posting pictures of your machines. I'm not into antique machines...(yet.............. :roll: ) but I sure do like to look at them. Thanks for sharing!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Just wanted to hijack and say thanks to all of you for posting pictures of your machines. I'm not into antique machines...(yet.............. :roll: ) but I sure do like to look at them. Thanks for sharing!!!
    Well you are welcome to drop by anytime, the coffee is always on and I promise if you stick around here long enough you will catch the bug and start collecting. :mrgreen:

Billy

Banned
    Well you are welcome to drop by anytime, the coffee is always on and I promise if you stick around here long enough you will catch the bug and start collecting. :mrgreen:

Billy
    I'm sure my husband will thank you for that ;)

Blog Entries
    ~grin~ I think you're already hooked! I started with, "I want a treadle because they look cool!" Found one in an antique store last October, almost bought it then, but put it off...the whole "finances" thing. A few months ago, William went back and bought it for me! :) (That's Hannah, the Singer 9W) I was happy, spent a fortune on needles for her because they're obsolete, and happily went about sewing Dear Jane blocks on her. Then a few weeks ago, we stumbled on Edna, that beautiful Wheeler & Wilson #8! Couldn't believe the price on her, and William gave up some of his fishing trip money to get her home! Then there's Hazel...poor Hazel....I couldn't let her be turned into a plant stand, and a good thing! She's another Wheeler & Wilson, a D-9 (the Singer 9W is the same basic machine, made at the same plant after Singer bought out W&W)
    I don't see an end in sight... :lol:

Billy
    I take mine light, no sugar! I just made banana bread so I'll supply that! :D

I agree with Billy, you will catch the bug. Just sit down to one and sew a couple of inches, and you'll be hooked for life! :thumbup: :thumbup: :shock:

Banned
    I shudder to think of the many, many treadles my in-laws had hanging around there house. I know I saw a least a half dozen.........one was outside & MIL used it as a potting bench. I used to always tell my dh that I wanted them ALL when people started kicking off :) No such luck.........the house was sold, lock, stock and barrel and some lucky coot got all those machines :(

~grin~ I think you're already hooked! I started with, "I want a treadle because they look cool!" Found one in an antique store last October, almost bought it then, but put it off...the whole "finances" thing. A few months ago, William went back and bought it for me! :) (That's Hannah, the Singer 9W) I was happy, spent a fortune on needles for her because they're obsolete, and happily went about sewing Dear Jane blocks on her. Then a few weeks ago, we stumbled on Edna, that beautiful Wheeler & Wilson #8! Couldn't believe the price on her, and William gave up some of his fishing trip money to get her home! Then there's Hazel...poor Hazel....I couldn't let her be turned into a plant stand, and a good thing! She's another Wheeler & Wilson, a D-9 (the Singer 9W is the same basic machine, made at the same plant after Singer bought out W&W)
    I don't see an end in sight... :lol:

Banned
    I'm in for the banana bread, but you can keep the coffee......Ack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by no1jan

Billy
    I take mine light, no sugar! I just made banana bread so I'll supply that! :D

I agree with Billy, you will catch the bug. Just sit down to one and sew a couple of inches, and you'll be hooked for life! :thumbup: :thumbup: :shock:

Well, I just wanted you to know I named my treadle. Billy says it's a Model 66-2 not 66-1. Learn something new everyday. ;-) :roll:

I named her after my MIL who is long passed. I was very close to my in-laws and it is only fitting to name it after her.

So "Smitty" it is. Her maiden name was Smith and my FIL used to call her that all the time. Now every time I look or sew on her it will remind me of the wonderful times we had together! :) :XD:

My "Smitty" is on the first page if you would like to meet her! :) :)

John and all the others who have posted their picture. I think they are gorgeous.

Charlee, you really have your work cut out for you. I am sure it will be sparkling soon!

Can't wait to see after-photos.

John, I love this thread!!:):) Great job!

wonderful pictures, thank you all for sharing. I have a treadle i got at an auction for $25., and 2 other small machines, one is in a box (stinky)$3.00 and one weighs a ton, paid $1.00 for it, i have the two sitting on a high boy cupboard, can't reach them without dh's help to see what they are. When i get new camera i will take pics and share.

Page 2 of 1792 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 52 102 502 1002 ... LastLast