Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 102 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 101 102 103 112 152 202 602 1102 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Where can I find Billy's tutorials?

Billy, what is your background in sewing machine repair? Where did you learn?

I am a certified sewing machine mechanic. I learned from Ray White (White's sewing center, do a search) and experience. My interest is in mostly vintage machines and I fix them as a hobby.

Cricket

Here is a link to a great website for Featherweights.
    Graham Forsdyke has a wealth of info at this site.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/

Blessings to all,
    Sandi

When this thread started, I said I would post a few pics of my machines. Finally got a chance to photograph them.

In order of age:

(Sorry. I did not realize the second pic was so fuzzy. I will try to get a different pic. That machine is in better condition than the 1949.)

1949 Featherweight - found at a flea market.
    Name:  Attachment-87472.jpe
Views: 125
Size:  55.0 KB

Centennial featherweight - purchased from my sister's neighbor who loved the machine but had to down-size to move into assisted living
    Name:  Attachment-87475.jpe
Views: 127
Size:  47.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I promised to post some pics of my old Seidel & Naumann before I attempt to clean it up, so here goes: It has a model number of 339 on it, but I can't find a serial number anywhere.

Even if I can't get it going, I still think it has scope to look prettier than it does at the moment.
    Lacelady, congratulations on your SWEEEET FW. I am glad it made it safely. But your other machine may give me a hint on the ID for the handcrank I picked up last weekend. The shape and silver plate look like the one I have posted on the bottom of page 149. Sp I will have to look to see what I can find about Seidel and Naumann. Mine does not turn either but it may be awhile before I get to focus on this one.

Cricket the tutorials are in the virtual section. If you go to the Quilt Forum page and at bottom you will find the link to All user defined sections. It is the Vintage Machine shop under that. You can add it so it will be on that page when you log on.

Or from the forum page you can select the tutorial section and find them there.

Enjoy, I'm learning so much from everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket_iscute

I am a certified sewing machine mechanic. I learned from Ray White (White's sewing center, do a search) and experience. My interest is in mostly vintage machines and I fix them as a hobby.

Cricket

what is the difference between the 99 and 66 model?? i was just curious as they look alike in pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    When this thread started, I said I would post a few pics of my machines. Finally got a chance to photograph them.

In order of age:

(Sorry. I did not realize the second pic was so fuzzy. I will try to get a different pic. That machine is in better condition than the 1949.)

Your FW girls are pretty. I so enjoy sewing with mine.

Blessings,
    Sandi

This machine followed me home recently. It has a thread guide that is broken. I contacted Sears to see if I could replace the part, and they replied that the model number is too short - all the model numbers should have 6 numbers after the '.' This is, according to the plate on the machine, a 158.18000. I hope to get it cleaned up and ready for my DD.

Sears Kenmore in cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-87478.jpe
Views: 212
Size:  44.2 KB

back of machine
    Name:  Attachment-87479.jpe
Views: 186
Size:  31.9 KB

attachments - feet, buttonholer, cams, complete
    Name:  Attachment-87480.jpe
Views: 196
Size:  50.8 KB

Sweet machine, hope you can find the parts.

Blog Entries
    Oh Billllliiiiieeee?????? Where do I start with this? It is the controller and wiring for one of the 15-91s....the foot pedal is dirty but intact, the wiring on the other hand is shot.....how much of this can be fixed or should I look for a whole new controller with wiring?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a new wiring job in the making! I hope you can get it done with new wires, rather than having to find an entire controller set-up.

Monkee

That is a very nice machine. Great find.

:D

from the look of it.....i'd feel safer with new ones! Yikes...possible of electrution?

Billy is teaching us everything else, why not rewiring as well. We just wait for him to do a tutorial on wiring.
    Right, Billy?

Blessings,
    Sandi

Blog Entries
    That's what I thought....I would rather rewire and use the original controller...I am sure that our fearless leader can point the way to new wiring...I have rewired several appliances and lights in my home and I am willing and able to rewire the controller. I just want to be sure that I am using the correct wire and connectors so that the machine is not compromised.....along with my own safety of course..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket_iscute

Cricket
    Taught myself how to work on them, just like I do with everything else I do. And a lot of research and reading, but sewing machines are no different that building motors.

I love the mechanics and the engineering that go into them. Just knowing that these machines were built and designed in a machine shop setting with a pencil and paper instead of Auto-Cad makes me respect the engineers and the workers that built them.

Billy

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeeGirl
    Here are some pics
    That is one nice 99 there!!! and it looks to be the same decal pattern as my 66 I have in the Studio that needs cleaning. It should not take much to get it looking like a new machine!!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    This machine followed me home recently. It has a thread guide that is broken. I contacted Sears to see if I could replace the part, and they replied that the model number is too short - all the model numbers should have 6 numbers after the '.' This is, according to the plate on the machine, a 158.18000. I hope to get it cleaned up and ready for my DD.
    You have a model 1800 and it was built in 1968 by Jaguar/Marzuen they also badged White Sewing Machines during this era.

Parts should be easy to get just go to you local Sears repair center and they can order them if they do not have them.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcene
    Oh Billllliiiiieeee?????? Where do I start with this? It is the controller and wiring for one of the 15-91s....the foot pedal is dirty but intact, the wiring on the other hand is shot.....how much of this can be fixed or should I look for a whole new controller with wiring?
    That controller is a piece of cake to rewire. I just finished rewiring one like it the other day. You need to find an electrical supply place to get the right color wire (black) or go to Lowes and just get some there. Its 16/2 lamp cord make sure it is 16/2 lamp cord not 18/2.

Then find some #8 blue crimp on electrical ends and the crimping tool to put them on with and your ready to fix the pedal.

Unscrew the bottom of the controller (4 screws in the rubber feet) and while its upside down take a screw driver and separate the top and bottom away from each other. Take the old cord off and crimp the ends onto the wires and connect them to where the old ones were then cut the cord to length crimp the two ends on the other end and hook it back to where they came from.

If you need photos or better descriptions then PM me and I will walk you through it. Better yet I will do a tute on that one.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    Billy is teaching us everything else, why not rewiring as well. We just wait for him to do a tutorial on wiring.
    Right, Billy?

Blessings,
    Sandi
    I will be working on it tonite!!!

Billy

EC
    Billy, will rewiring a Featherweight be the same? I was getting a jolt from it. Obviously the last time I plugged it in. But I think its the wires in the machine itself. They are looking kind of white!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Nice machine Monkee ditto what Darcene said.

Thank you Billy and Darcene re my white FW, I have slackened off the belt to the point that it will just sew, so it is now a whole lot looser than before, and the machine ticks away nicely, much more what I thought it might do. I am so in love with this little baby.
    Ditto Ditto on what Monkee wrote. Really nice machine and a super case.

Blog Entries
    Yep, I knew we could count on you to help out on the wiring.....once I have the 16/2 black lamp wire and the #8 blue crimps what do I do with this piece? Also the case came with a knee controller...how do I reconnect the foot controller to the knee controller (and then to the wish bone.........) :lol: :oops: :lol:

it looks like a part that maybe protected the wire from excessive force/pulling/bending etc......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    Here is a link to a great website for Featherweights.
    Graham Forsdyke has a wealth of info at this site.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/

Blessings to all,
    Sandi
    Sandi, you are so resourceful. Thanks!

Page 102 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 101 102 103 112 152 202 602 1102 ... LastLast