Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 103 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 102 103 104 113 153 203 603 1103 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Here are the pictures of the machine. - Cheryl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know anything about the Singer 285K? I found one in an antique shop for $35.00. It is in mint condtion, almost as if it was never used. I can't find anything about it anywhere, even Ebay.

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful machine!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    Your FW girls are pretty. I so enjoy sewing with mine.

Blessings,
    Sandi
    Ditto, ditto on Sandi's comment. I may overdue it on the dittos BUT I love FW. Wish we were all closer so we could have a sew in. :D :-D :D

Blog Entries
    grannie cheechee

I think I have a treadle just like yours! I got mine off craigslist for $75. Here is a pic of it:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine has been in the family for generations. Like back to my gr grandmother. I learned to sew with it, and in home ec I could make it go faster than the electric ones.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EC
    Billy, will rewiring a Featherweight be the same? I was getting a jolt from it. Obviously the last time I plugged it in. But I think its the wires in the machine itself. They are looking kind of white!
    They are pretty much the same as the other Singers. Oh something I forgot to mention is pull the plastic cover off of the crimp on ends. They get in the was and you really do not need them at all.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcene
    Yep, I knew we could count on you to help out on the wiring.....once I have the 16/2 black lamp wire and the #8 blue crimps what do I do with this piece? Also the case came with a knee controller...how do I reconnect the foot controller to the knee controller (and then to the wish bone.........) :lol: :oops: :lol:

it looks like a part that maybe protected the wire from excessive force/pulling/bending etc......
    You do not need it anymore. The original wires were cloth covered and then a thin vinyl sleeve was covering them. So they put the sleeve on the cord to protect it from nicks. The new wiring is a lot more durable and will last longer.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    Here are the pictures of the machine. - Cheryl

Oh that is beautiful!!

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    Does anyone know anything about the Singer 285K? I found one in an antique shop for $35.00. It is in mint condtion, almost as if it was never used. I can't find anything about it anywhere, even Ebay.
    If it is almost new and in mint condition I would go ahead and get it, but that model has bad reviews from owners around the world. The quality control was not up to snuff on that machine for some reason.

Billy

Banned
    grannie cheechee

I think I have a treadle just like yours! I got mine off craigslist for $75. Here is a pic of it:
    You stole the machine if it is the "Brown Lotus" decal!! The lotus is a hard to come by pattern anyway and the Brown Lotus is way more rare here in the States!.

And it is in the better of the cabinets offered by Singer

Billy

Blog Entries
    [quote=Lostn51]
    grannie cheechee

You stole the machine if it is the "Brown Lotus" decal!! The lotus is a hard to come by pattern anyway and the Brown Lotus is way more rare here in the States!.

And it is in the better of the cabinets offered by Singer

We don't know about the decal's on the machine but the cabinet is the same. That's what we are trying to restore. Got it for 20.00 at the flea market. Machine runs good just can't remember off hand what decal is on it.

When rewiring the old button foot controllers, do we still need to find a heat shield for the wiring inside the box? On the Sew-Classic blog, she reuses the old shields on the new wires, but mine were not in any shape to be reused. Do I need to track down the shields?

Oooooo SherrieB...that's an beautiful cabinet & machine.

Grannie C....very wonderful to see someone keep something as beautiful as this in the family!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne57
    When rewiring the old button foot controllers, do we still need to find a heat shield for the wiring inside the box? On the Sew-Classic blog, she reuses the old shields on the new wires, but mine were not in any shape to be reused. Do I need to track down the shields?
    NAPA has them and I will have to go out side and look up the part number for it. You really do not have to use them but if you want to its not a problem. I think the wire is rated at 350 or 400* or so and its not going to get that hot when you use it.

Billy

Just stopped by to say 'hi' while eating my dinner.

Billy, hope you are feeling much better and have more energy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne57
    NAPA has them and I will have to go out side and look up the part number for it. You really do not have to use them but if you want to its not a problem. I think the wire is rated at 350 or 400* or so and its not going to get that hot when you use it.

Billy
    Thanks. Now if I could just get that nasty stubborn screw loose. Tried WD40, PB Blaster, bought a large screwdriver, hit it with a hammer, heated it with a hair dryer, and am ready to give up and take it to the repair shop.

Blog Entries
    Suzanne, today is not your day for fixing it, is it? Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

If you are like me though, you just want to get it done so you aren't thinking about all night long. :roll:

grannie cheechee

A fellow on my local CL is trying to sell just the cabinet for $275.00, no machine. It looks just like yours!

http://albany.craigslist.org/atq/1796859661.html

Hey no1jan.....i plan on going to Albany end of july (if all goes good) and maybe i can find an FW there...looks kinda funky to come on the plane carring a case as a overnighter bag? LOL
    Cabinet will be a problem though!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Just stopped by to say 'hi' while eating my dinner.

Billy, hope you are feeling much better and have more energy today.
    Oh yeah I am trying to dodge the heat here. 104 to 110 heat indexes and it does not drop below 85 at night.

But all in all I am doing fine!!

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by nwm50
    Hey no1jan.....i plan on going to Albany end of july (if all goes good) and maybe i can find an FW there...looks kinda funky to come on the plane carring a case as a overnighter bag? LOL
    Cabinet will be a problem though!
    Well, it just so happens that I don't have the case, so you could just carry the FW. Wrap a blanket around it and call it your baby! :thumbup: Or I could give you a suitcase!

I will keep my eye out for you though!

that's funny,,,call it my baby....hehehehe Oh thanks No1jan! All my SIL there has no clue about sew machine or fabrics...only that they wear fabrics..LOL, but they are the best SIL !!

Going to look at a Mercury tomorrow...one of the guys at work found it for me. It's bad when the guys at work start looking for sewing machines for you.

Anybody heard anything about a Mercury before?
    Kat B

Page 103 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 102 103 104 113 153 203 603 1103 ... LastLast