Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 104 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 103 104 105 114 154 204 604 1104 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

i think it was sweet of him to tell ya about it. I have heard of mercury before & i think someone posted one before on this site? .Im sure someone will answers you soon.

Banned
    Well I'm certainly glad to hear that! We can't have our fearless leader down ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Just stopped by to say 'hi' while eating my dinner.

Billy, hope you are feeling much better and have more energy today.
    Oh yeah I am trying to dodge the heat here. 104 to 110 heat indexes and it does not drop below 85 at night.

But all in all I am doing fine!!

Billy

Banned
    So I know we've covered this before. But. I'm cleaning up my redeye....how do you know when you're done cleaning?? I certainly don't expect perfection like Billy probably would, but what's a good point to stop at?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    grannie cheechee

I think I have a treadle just like yours! I got mine off craigslist for $75. Here is a pic of it:
    A fellow on my local CL is trying to sell just the cabinet for $275.00, no machine. It looks just like yours!

http://albany.craigslist.org/atq/1796859661.html
    I know I got an excellent bargain with this machine. I haven't had a chance to sew with it, but it moves like a dream. It came with 2 extra belts also.

How would I know if it is a Brown Lotus? The color is original and belonged to the owner's grandmother.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    So I know we've covered this before. But. I'm cleaning up my redeye....how do you know when you're done cleaning?? I certainly don't expect perfection like Billy probably would, but what's a good point to stop at?
    Well its kinda of a crap shoot with that because you want to brighten up the decals as much as possible. The old oil and grime will make them look like a deep gold color and they are really a bright gold leaf type of decal.

Be careful of shellac deterioration sometimes it will be crazed and it will also be missing (rubbed off) and you can actually "Silver" the decals. You have really good judgment I have complete faith that you will do a wonderful job and more than likely a better one that I do!!

But if your having problems or are just wondering if your heading the right direction then you know you can ask anytime. ;)

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    grannie cheechee

I think I have a treadle just like yours! I got mine off craigslist for $75. Here is a pic of it:
    A fellow on my local CL is trying to sell just the cabinet for $275.00, no machine. It looks just like yours!

http://albany.craigslist.org/atq/1796859661.html
    I know I got an excellent bargain with this machine. I haven't had a chance to sew with it, but it moves like a dream. It came with 2 extra belts also.

How would I know if it is a Brown Lotus? The color is original and belonged to the owner's grandmother.
    The Lotus decals were Orange in color near the stems but the Brown ones well were Brown instead of Orange.

Billy

Banned
    Well its kinda of a crap shoot with that because you want to brighten up the decals as much as possible. The old oil and grime will make them look like a deep gold color and they are really a bright gold leaf type of decal.

Be careful of shellac deterioration sometimes it will be crazed and it will also be missing (rubbed off) and you can actually "Silver" the decals. You have really good judgment I have complete faith that you will do a wonderful job and more than likely a better one that I do!!

But if your having problems or are just wondering if your heading the right direction then you know you can ask anytime. ;)

Billy
    So, let's just play the game...........what color IS the wheel supposed to be?? And will mine ever be that color? (Ok, I don't know why, but I am stuck on that particular element of the machine.....)

And, cmon....let's face it.........you're the master here......

Banned

Billy
    So, let's just play the game...........what color IS the wheel supposed to be?? And will mine ever be that color? (Ok, I don't know why, but I am stuck on that particular element of the machine.....)

Depending on the finish of the plating (Satin, Polished, Blackside) is what you come out with. The nickle plating on mine is a satin finish which means it was never polished. It is a dull color just like the nickles in your wallet. If it is polished well then it will look like it was chromed. Black side is just a plain black finish sometimes looking like the bluing on a gun and it is not that easy to clean wit out destroying the finish. But I have never seen a Red Eye with a Blackside finish.

Is the nickle green looking? Then polish it with the Mag wheel cleaner and you will see a big difference.

Billy

Banned
    OK well OBVIOUSLY I don't know what I'm doing...but THIS is what I'm doing ~ using the brasso on it (don't smack me) and I'm getting some rust crap off of it and I can see silver below....

Running to hide now....

Billy

Depending on the finish of the plating (Satin, Polished, Blackside) is what you come out with. The nickle plating on mine is a satin finish which means it was never polished. It is a dull color just like the nickles in your wallet. If it is polished well then it will look like it was chromed. Black side is just a plain black finish sometimes looking like the bluing on a gun and it is not that easy to clean wit out destroying the finish. But I have never seen a Red Eye with a Blackside finish.

Is the nickle green looking? Then polish it with the Mag wheel cleaner and you will see a big difference.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me why this machine is a Singer and the motor is by Brother? You can't see it in the picture, but Brother is on a small sticker on the motor. I got this machine for $40 at a church yard sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Can anyone tell me why this machine is a Singer and the motor is by Brother? You can't see it in the picture, but Brother is on a small sticker on the motor. I got this machine for $40 at a church yard sale.
    They just put what ever motor and light they had laying around to make it work. Not that its bad or anything, you can just paint it black with the light and you will never notice the difference.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Thanks Billy. It was driving me batty trying to figure it out. Sometimes the obvious is so hard for me to see. LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Here is a pic of the 285 K. It was only $35 and is in mint condition. Doesn't look like it was ever sewed with. I didn't know the poor machine had such a bad reputation when I bought it. But I like it. Amd now I feel sorry for it. LOL!! The color is different and adds to my ever growing collection.

Banned
    OK well OBVIOUSLY I don't know what I'm doing...but THIS is what I'm doing ~ using the brasso on it (don't smack me) and I'm getting some rust crap off of it and I can see silver below....

Running to hide now....
    Your okay If it was all green and stuff the Brasso will work in a pinch!!

Billy

Banned
    Here is a pic of the 285 K. It was only $35 and is in mint condition. Doesn't look like it was ever sewed with.
    She is beautiful and a great price at that!!! You did very well with the purchase and if I can run across one that nice with accessories I am all over it!!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    The feet that came with it are so shiny and new, not even a scratch! I was tickled to find the box of original accessories.

Banned
    The feet that came with it are so shiny and new, not even a scratch! I was tickled to find the box of original accessories.
    You should be its hard to find them in that nice of condition anymore!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia
    My 301 came today. She is a beauty. Just needs a little polishing. I have not plugged her in yet, still picking the little pieces of white packing foam off. There is only the one foot, so now I have to find more. I hope she is everything I have heard. She has some traveling to do with me.

Mine travels with me to guilting at least five times a month and I just plug it in and go. I am confident you will love her and she will do right by you. She uses slant feet which are easy to find on ebay and the same bobbin as the 221. ENJOY!

Banned
    Okay before I get busy with life in general today (I have to try and to finish up a sewing machine I am refurbishing for one of our lovely members) I thought I would give you a little bit of history about the sewing machine and a certain maker.

Griest, we all know that they made accessories for our machines and I suppose I have always looked at them as an aftermarket supplier of accessories. Well years ago they were manufacturing and selling sewing machines under their own mark. I was on the Smithsonian website and found some catalogs and pamphlets about their machines and thought I would share with you. I am not sure when exactly they switched from manufacturing machines to just making attachments but this is another display of the "Sewing Machine Wars".

Notice them using the name "Singer" in their sales pitch. Singer was already an established name and they were trying to drum up big sales by tossing in the Singer name even though it had nothing to do with a Singer sewing machine. There were lots of companies that did this to make a buck and Issac Singer was fighting them tooth and nail in the courts for copyright infringement.

This is from 1894 and check out the prices of the machines..........

Billy

Blog Entries
    What feet you you recommend getting for the 301? I am looking forward to the house being empty this weekend and getting to try my "new" machines.

Banned
    What feet you you recommend getting for the 301? I am looking forward to the house being empty this weekend and getting to try my "new" machines.
    Go hit the thrift stores and see if you can find a box of accessories for it. I found a Singer box full of them for $1.98 but it was missing the zigzag foots :(

But Slant shank feet are really easy to find and anything from the Singer 301 to the 600's will fit the machine.

Billy

Banned
    Oh I'm feeling rich today, I think I'll go for the #12 ;)

That is SO cool. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Okay before I get busy with life in general today (I have to try and to finish up a sewing machine I am refurbishing for one of our lovely members) I thought I would give you a little bit of history about the sewing machine and a certain maker.

Griest, we all know that they made accessories for our machines and I suppose I have always looked at them as an aftermarket supplier of accessories. Well years ago they were manufacturing and selling sewing machines under their own mark. I was on the Smithsonian website and found some catalogs and pamphlets about their machines and thought I would share with you. I am not sure when exactly they switched from manufacturing machines to just making attachments but this is another display of the "Sewing Machine Wars".

Notice them using the name "Singer" in their sales pitch. Singer was already an established name and they were trying to drum up big sales by tossing in the Singer name even though it had nothing to do with a Singer sewing machine. There were lots of companies that did this to make a buck and Issac Singer was fighting them tooth and nail in the courts for copyright infringement.

This is from 1894 and check out the prices of the machines..........

Billy

Banned

You know you get a 3% discount if you order 5 machines. :mrgreen:

Billy

Banned

Billy
    Oh, but what in the world would I do with FIVE machines??? That's just crazy talk :)

Blog Entries

Billy

Such a salesman! Thanks for the information Billy. :wink:

Page 104 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 103 104 105 114 154 204 604 1104 ... LastLast