Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 113 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 112 113 114 123 163 213 613 1113 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #2801
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,743
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    ...My DH called about those machines and it's not a she it's a he and he is a collector. Wants to thin out his machines. There's one that caught his eye but Yakima is a long ways away. But still thinking.
    Oops! Sounds reasonable. I think they are beautiful.

    Do you think your DH might have one shipped? :-D

  2. #2802
    Senior Member Deara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rowan County, North Carolina
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Charlee or Billy, do you know if a machine model 28 with a Lavincendora decal is a rare one? We found it was born in 1923. Thanks for you help.
    Do the decals look like the ones on page 121?
    I posted a machine with the Lavincendora decals with the Indian Star. Billy said they were rare.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

  3. #2803
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Deara
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Charlee or Billy, do you know if a machine model 28 with a Lavincendora decal is a rare one? We found it was born in 1923. Thanks for you help.
    Do the decals look like the ones on page 121?
    I posted a machine with the Lavincendora decals with the Indian Star. Billy said they were rare.

    Blessings,
    Sandi
    The La Vincedora with Indian Star is very rare; the one you posted is the only one I've ever seen. However, La Vincedora Model 28/128 are fairly common. I have had several. I do think it's a beautiful decal!!

    I have a 15-30 with Sphinx decal and Indian Star. They surface occasionally, but are not what I would call common. Right now, there are 2 in the house; mine and one I picked up for a girlfriend.

  4. #2804
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,158
    Hi Sharon,
    Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery from your
    surgery.
    Sharon W.

  5. #2805
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222

  6. #2806
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    I'll have to watch those videos tom.

  7. #2807
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,158
    I watched a few of those videos yesterday. They are done well. I have 2 VS machines and I much prefer my other treadles, Singers 201k and 15-90K, they're quieter.
    Sharon W.

  8. #2808
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Hi All,

    Sorry I have been out of the shop so much but I have been working on some machines and trying to get caught up. Then there is life in general...But I am not complaining its starting to look up! ;)

    All I can say is WOW there has been a lot of post for me to catch up on I have been dropping by after hours and doing things but not during the normal hours hanging out with you guys.

    Billy

  9. #2809
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Okay here are some of the advertisements that were out in the day. This should give you a look back into history and a chance to see what life was like for the quilter that used a machine to piece blocks together.

    Billy

    From a Sears Catalog
    Name:  Attachment-87429.jpe
Views: 149
Size:  167.2 KB

    Singer Improved Family from the 1890's
    Name:  Attachment-87430.jpe
Views: 279
Size:  141.4 KB

    A Paw Foot
    Name:  Attachment-87431.gif
Views: 218
Size:  55.5 KB

    1948 Singer Christmas ad
    Name:  Attachment-87434.jpe
Views: 130
Size:  132.7 KB

  10. #2810
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Hello All!!!!

    Welcome to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.

    This is where anyone who has a vintage machine or has interest in vintage sewing machines are welcome and feel free to pull up a stool and sit a spell!!!! :D :D :D

    I want everyone to feel like they are family and do not be afraid to share knowledge with us. Remember this is OUR shop and I want it to be a wonderful place for us to step back into time and relive the "Golden Age" of sewing machines.

    As you can tell by the decor it is almost like you just stepped back into history sometime in the 50's and boy would you look at the machines and the store front! No modern cars out there!! We have the Doo Wop and Big Band playing in the background and unlike some places we have all sorts of machines here from treadles to the latest and greatest Japanese machines (I wonder if they will ever catch on) and of course we even have several FW's!!

    So now let the fun begin!!!

    Billy
    i just posted to you but wrote lost51 on heading instead of "lostn51" i would really appeciate it if you could find it & try to answer my questions as i'm going tomorow to see this machine & wold like your opinion thanks again,darlene627742

  11. #2811
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    1,412
    charlee,am taking advantage of your being on line..please forgive me but i need advice today ! i have an appt tomorrow to look at a 1920 singer in a cabinetfor $75.00.the only real info i have on it so far is the serial#d1134019 sounds too cheap if it real,& in decent shape.any info you can give me,whatto look for ,etci sure would appreciate it as i know NOTHING about vintage machines HELP thanx in advance,dar.[dlan627742]

  12. #2812
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    190
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  13. #2813
    Super Member nwm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,330
    NEED INFO......I have noticed on some of the Feartherweights motor that some says catalog 3-110 & then some has the 3-120. What is the difference? IS it the age of machine that was used at the time? Just curious about it.

  14. #2814
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    indiana
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I have searched on line for a free manuel to the above machine. I need the model number. How do I find this? The serial number is G4641377
    Its a Model 66 and it was allotted on May 3 1916 and 50,000 of them on that run. Did you ever get the manual? if not I can post the link to the manuals for them.

    Billy
    i 'm sorry to be such a pest ,but am trying to getinfo on a 1920 singer w/ cabinet before i look atit tomorrow.the oly info i have is the serial 3d1134019,the price is $75.00 could it possibly be thatcheap& be real ? any info you can get to me before tomorrow would REALLY be appreciated,i knowNOTHING about vintage machines.thanx in advance,dar627742

  15. #2815
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Okay here are some of the advertisements that were out in the day. This should give you a look back into history and a chance to see what life was like for the quilter that used a machine to piece blocks together.

    Billy
    Thanks for sharing Billy! You always come up with the most amazing stuff.

    I am ALL ABOUT that sewing machine in the bottom right corner of the bottom ad.............LOVE that retro look............

  16. #2816
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    charlee,am taking advantage of your being on line..please forgive me but i need advice today ! i have an appt tomorrow to look at a 1920 singer in a cabinetfor $75.00.the only real info i have on it so far is the serial#d1134019 sounds too cheap if it real,& in decent shape.any info you can give me,whatto look for ,etci sure would appreciate it as i know NOTHING about vintage machines HELP thanx in advance,dar.[dlan627742]
    Hi Dar...prices really aren't an indicator! I've picked up machines for next to nothing...and others for too much! The machines I got for next to nothing are in better shape than the ones I paid too much for! ;)

    According to the serial number you have here, that machine is a 66, and the number was allotted in 1909. As to "what to look for", I can only tell you what I look for, and I tend to be a bit picky, because it's not my goal to put a lot of work into machines, I'd rather be using them! ;)

    I don't mind if decals are missing from the bed from where fabric has worn them off. It simply means that the machine was used and loved. :) I do look to see what the decals are tho, some are more rare than others.

    I don't worry about a belt for the treadle. I've got one that I have a leather bootlace for a belt, it works fine!

    I turn the handwheel to make sure that it's free moving. If it's a little stiff, it's not a problem, it usually just needs oiled.

    I look to make sure all of the parts of the machine itself are there...Singers are usually easy to replace parts on tho. And I don't worry about attachments....you can find them on ebay easy enough. (Sometimes you have to wait a bit, but they show up sooner or later)

    The cabinet is another story. They are easily refinished, "easy" being the term of the day...time consuming, but easy. Missing veneer can be replaced, etc.

    All in all....if the machine isn't rusted out, the cabinet isn't falling apart, and you like and want it, then $75 is a good price....altho I'd offer him $50 to see if he'd take it!! ;)

  17. #2817
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

    I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...

  18. #2818
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Hello All!!!!

    Welcome to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.

    This is where anyone who has a vintage machine or has interest in vintage sewing machines are welcome and feel free to pull up a stool and sit a spell!!!! :D :D :D

    I want everyone to feel like they are family and do not be afraid to share knowledge with us. Remember this is OUR shop and I want it to be a wonderful place for us to step back into time and relive the "Golden Age" of sewing machines.

    As you can tell by the decor it is almost like you just stepped back into history sometime in the 50's and boy would you look at the machines and the store front! No modern cars out there!! We have the Doo Wop and Big Band playing in the background and unlike some places we have all sorts of machines here from treadles to the latest and greatest Japanese machines (I wonder if they will ever catch on) and of course we even have several FW's!!

    So now let the fun begin!!!

    Billy
    i just posted to you but wrote lost51 on heading instead of "lostn51" i would really appeciate it if you could find it & try to answer my questions as i'm going tomorow to see this machine & wold like your opinion thanks again,darlene627742
    Not a problem I have seen it and posted to it for you , but It would have to be a near perfect machine and come loaded with all of the accessories for me to pay that.

    Billy

  19. #2819
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Thanks for sharing Billy! You always come up with the most amazing stuff.

    I am ALL ABOUT that sewing machine in the bottom right corner of the bottom ad.............LOVE that retro look............
    Yeah I like the retro look too, I bet it would be perfect in a Modular 1950's home!!!

    Billy

  20. #2820
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

    I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...
    Thanks, Charlee..... I will try those products. The cabinet looks so washed out.... I would love to bring it back to life.
    Do you know what machine originally came in this cabinet? Or the time frame when it was sold?
    I love this thread and try to keep up on the new posts.
    Thanks, again.

  21. #2821
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

    I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...
    Thanks, Charlee..... I will try those products. The cabinet looks so washed out.... I would love to bring it back to life.
    Do you know what machine originally came in this cabinet? Or the time frame when it was sold?
    I love this thread and try to keep up on the new posts.
    Thanks, again.
    Also, are you aware of any tricks to adding another wire?

  22. #2822
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    I am in love with this cabinet!! Just take care of it like Charlee stated and you should be good to go. The cabinet could be refinished but I like the antique look. Make it looked like a well cared for antique and not a refinished piece.

    Billy

  23. #2823
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    I am in love with this cabinet!! Just take care of it like Charlee stated and you should be good to go. The cabinet could be refinished but I like the antique look. Make it looked like a well cared for antique and not a refinished piece.

    Billy
    Thank you! Hopefully, my cleaning and refinishing will do it justice. Do you know when this cabinet type was built?
    I am still not sure how to redo the wire so it folds back to fully open the top cover.

  24. #2824
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,524
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
    1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
    2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
    3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?Charlee is right on. Beaware that the finish on these cabinets are shellac and alcohol will desolve the finish. Use Mohawk Bril glow rubbing liquid and it will shine the finnish like new. Glenn
    I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

    I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...

  25. #2825
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    Also, are you aware of any tricks to adding another wire?
    Have you checked to be sure the wire isn't just hung up somehow? It seems very strange that it would be too short for the table to open up properly.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.