Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1113 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 113 613 1013 1063 1103 1112 1113 1114 1123 1163 1213 1613 ... LastLast
Results 27,801 to 27,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    So, now the question, why is Hitachi saying they never manufactured a machine, lost records?
    You'd think if they lost the records they'd at least know they'd made sewing machines, even if they didn't know anything else. My guess is that Hitachi was a common name of two different companies (think Apple Records and Apple computers), and you talked to the 'wrong' Hitachi. The 'right' Hitachi may well be long gone. It's a great machine, and an interesting mystery!
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

FYI-anyone looking for a 15-91 or a "redeye" should check out the goodwill online auction site. They have both very cheap right now.

My newest machine. I couldn't resist it. I just wish I knew how to operate it, lol.

If laughter is the best medicine, I prescribe a Dachshund or four.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
    You'd think if they lost the records they'd at least know they'd made sewing machines, even if they didn't know anything else. My guess is that Hitachi was a common name of two different companies (think Apple Records and Apple computers), and you talked to the 'wrong' Hitachi. The 'right' Hitachi may well be long gone. It's a great machine, and an interesting mystery!
    That makes sense.

Blog Entries
    I have a 503 but not any cams. What I need is for a kind soul to post a couple pictures - one from the topp, if possible - so I know waht to look for on EBay and buy the right ones and not just some that I think look good. I do have a amnual but zero pictures of ther cams needed for the fancy stitches. Thanks in advance. ~ Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    You lost me here. What are you taking about?
    I wonder if they got into legal issues or something? Maybe just the war.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anothermadquilter View Post
    fyi-anyone looking for a 15-91 or a "redeye" should check out the goodwill online auction site. They have both very cheap right now.
    ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
    Thanks, I'm anxious to sew with her but have no idea just where I'm going to put her in my house but I'll find a spot if I have to get rid of some piece of furniture. lol I think I'm right at 32 or 33 machines now and 6 of those are treadles and they do take up some room. I'd love a big loft that was just mine, mine, mine to display all my machines and have them all out so they could be sewn on without having to rearrange a space for them. Guess it doesn't hurt to wish.....
    You are my hero. I read 32 or 33 machines and started really laughing out loud. I am almost afraid to look at machines, especially with cabinets, these days....and I only have five cabinets sitting around taking up space, and maybe a couple more machines, but they seem to breed. A friend has already suggested I open a museum. Now, it wouldn't be so bad, but I also had to bring in another cedar chest, a quilt rack.....you get the idea. And I used to think how much wasted space I had, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I wonder if they got into legal issues or something? Maybe just the war.
    Oh, you are referring to the company, Hitachi. I was thinking of Nancy's machine.

Grasshopper!!

Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
    My newest machine. I couldn't resist it. I just wish I knew how to operate it, lol.

Nice Elna Grasshopper!! Very simple to use; just play around with it a bit and you'll see.
    Miz Johnny

You are my hero. I read 32 or 33 machines and started really laughing out loud. I am almost afraid to look at machines, especially with cabinets, these days....and I only have five cabinets sitting around taking up space, and maybe a couple more machines, but they seem to breed. A friend has already suggested I open a museum. Now, it wouldn't be so bad, but I also had to bring in another cedar chest, a quilt rack.....you get the idea. And I used to think how much wasted space I had, lol.
    Well, your 'hero' certainly has a serious addiction but not planning on rehabilitation (unless it's rehabing a cabinet, lol) I just love the old machines and will always bring another one home. My husband is the best because he's always finding them and giving me a call asking if I want them. He can clean them up and get them running like new and he even rehabs the cabinets too. He had to take the top off a Davis cabinet and attach it to a singer cabinet and irons so I could use my Davis VF. He's a wood genius and loves a good challenge, thank God. I will be collecting machines until they plant me and the bad thing is we raised three daughters and not a one of them give a rats rear about sewing. Go figure.... I'm hoping at least one of my grandsons marries a girl that would love to learn and continue to love and care for the old ladies (including me) lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    So that is what is wrong with me, I have sewind machine oil in my blood no wonder I keep bringing these machines home.
    Same here!!! Once it gets on your hands....watch out!! Instant addiction!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    I have a 503 but not any cams. What I need is for a kind soul to post a couple pictures - one from the topp, if possible - so I know waht to look for on EBay and buy the right ones and not just some that I think look good. I do have a amnual but zero pictures of ther cams needed for the fancy stitches. Thanks in advance. ~ Chris
    Good picture here. Very common, and usually inexpensive, except for the "0" cam.
    Miz Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Nice Elna Grasshopper!! Very simple to use; just play around with it a bit and you'll see.
    This machine is so cute, you almost think it's a toy when you first see it. I fell in love the minute I bent down and looked at it sitting on the driveway. Funny thing.....the man said "we had this sold, but couldn't get it to run, so he passed it up. Then my son came in and said you had to press this lever to make it run." Thanks, lol....now I know, and it runs, and it's MINE. Hey, I would have bought it and tried to make it run. Love makes a sucker out of you, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Good picture here. Very common, and usually inexpensive, except for the "0" cam.
    Where is the picture or the link to it? What is the "0" cam? Is it the one in the machine already?
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Very nice and the sewing table/box is interesting.
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2688634644.html
    Oh, that is very nice!! I have never seen a sewing box on legs like that, and the fact that it matches is too cool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Annamaria!!! Stop!!! LOL It's like chumming in a lake....fishes swarm!!

Blog Entries

Cute machine. I have an Elna Supermatic, also green but a little larger and more rounded body than this one. I have had it for about 2 years, but I haven't taken the time to do anything with it.
    Ray White is the guy to go to for Elna parts....he was previously an Elna dealer and repairman, and has a website where you can get stuff for these old ladies!

As to the new look of the board and features, I love it. I spent a couple of days playing with settings and customizing my profile page. My son, the computer geek, states that this was long overdue for many reasons, but mostly for security. He also stated that lots of money went into making this new board; he was very impressed.
    Well then! If you like it, I like it!
    Miz Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Where is the picture or the link to it? What is the "0" cam? Is it the one in the machine already?
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/68965208...its-400-series

Sorry--I guess I'm getting too old for all this!!
    The 403 and 503 take a 0 cam to do ZZ stitch--the 500 and 401 have this stitch built in.
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Met up with Quiltncowgirl on Saturday to do a mini-shop hop & to exchange treadles. Now her 1891 VS2 will be in it's original cabinet, and my 66 Lotus decal will be in a newer treadle. I will have to do some work on the finish on the cabinet, but not serious. Also the 15 that came in the treadle needs serious cleaning, but overall looks OK. I have a portable case to put that in and a motor to put on it. I'll put up pics when I get to work on them, but it won't be for a while....I am SLAMMED with quilting projects right now...

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Attachment 286232Attachment 286232YoHOOOOOO! Here is my Singer 319w in her finished cabinet! "Candace" is so happy here in my sewing room! I haven't got the flip top completely done, still working on that part, but she is sitting in the cabinet ready to go! So easy to put a 319w in a treadle - she just dropped right in - no adjustments at all! Now I need to find time to play with her - she will be one of my favorite treadles I am sure!Attachment 286231

Nancy
    Curious to know if it is hard to treadle??
    Miz Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Cute machine. I have an Elna Supermatic, also green but a little larger and more rounded body than this one. I have had it for about 2 years, but I haven't taken the time to do anything with it.
    Ray White is the guy to go to for Elna parts....he was previously an Elna dealer and repairman, and has a website where you can get stuff for these old ladies!
    Do you happen to have the address?

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Vaccination might work at least for a while - you just put your finger over that little hole where the needle goes in the machine and then run the machine..... it can easily be done by accident....
    Hmm...naw. Think I'll just stay "sick" and let it run its course.

Blog Entries
    Do you happen to have the address?
    you can just search Ray White and find good info
    Those little Elna's are pretty cool - there is a man in Noblesville, Indiana works on them - he does nice work - so many parts too!!!