Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1115 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 115 615 1015 1065 1105 1114 1115 1116 1125 1165 1215 1615 ... LastLast
Results 27,851 to 27,875 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Will stitch cams for a 600 series Singer work on the 503? Just asking cuz surfing EBay. I ask cuz the seller said s/he used them on the Rocketeer and all do not look the same or similar. TIA ~ Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Thanks, Glenn. I have an "extra" 319 around here somewhere, it would be fun to treadle it!! The next time it comes out of hiding, I will check it out and see.
    Miz Johnny

Yes, you can use the BLACK "top hat" cams, just not the later white "Flexistitch" cams or the flat cams used on the 300 series.

Flat cams:
    http://vintagesewing.ecrater.com/p/6...cam-disk-1-zig

Flexi-stitch:
    http://sewingmachineswantinganewhome...or-singer.html
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Nancy, Thank you!

So, have your named this machine? If not, I have been looking at some Japanese names, don't know if this is a girl or boy machine. You got to give it a name! I know it will be well loved!

Takara, treasure, girl's name
    Shinobu, endurance, unisex name
    Hajime, beginning, boy's name
    This Hitachi has got to be a boy, but I like the unisex name, Shinobu! Thank you Monica!

Nancy

Eh, I just like the name Sushi :>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Yes, you can use the BLACK "top hat" cams, just not the later white "Flexistitch" cams or the flat cams used on the 300 series.
    Flat cams:
    http://vintagesewing.ecrater.com/p/6...cam-disk-1-zig
    Flexi-stitch:
    http://sewingmachineswantinganewhome...or-singer.html
    Miz Johnny, Thank you so much for the info and the pictures. I know what to look for now which is a tremendous help and which ones to avoid. Trolling EBay can be fun but need to know what I need for the machine. Thanks again for sharing the knowledge. Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Charlee, I have a question for you. What size needle does the WW9 take, is it Boye 18?
    Hey, Glenn, I might have some 18s if you need them. I bought a lot of Boye needle tubes to get the #10s for my Davis, and I think there were some 18s in there. Let me know.

Blog Entries
    Oh!! I tried sewing through some papertowels on my Davis VF tonite, and it worked!! Cool! I can't wait to get her into a treadle base so I can sew with her. I still haven't figured out a name....maybe when I get her into a treadle she'll tell me!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Oh!! I tried sewing through some papertowels on my Davis VF tonite, and it worked!! Cool! I can't wait to get her into a treadle base so I can sew with her. I still haven't figured out a name....maybe when I get her into a treadle she'll tell me!! LOL
    That's what I do sometimes or when cleaning the machine the name is given, a rebirth. Looking forward to pictures of that Davis.

Blog Entries
    Glenn, here are pics of my treadle cabinet. Is there too much of the finish gone to use the Howard's Restore product? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    That's what I do sometimes or when cleaning the machine the name is given, a rebirth. Looking forward to pictures of that Davis.
    Pictures on the VSM Pictures thread. She's cleaned, now just have to get her into a treadle. She was filthy!! Took me about 4 hours to get her even reasonably clean. I still haven't taken the face plate off to clean in there, but everything moves reasonably smoothly now after oiling, etc.

Blog Entries
    Pictures on the VSM Pictures thread. She's cleaned, now just have to get her into a treadle. She was filthy!! Took me about 4 hours to get her even reasonably clean. I still haven't taken the face plate off to clean in there, but everything moves reasonably smoothly now after oiling, etc.
    Some of these machines haven't been cleaned in years. It always takes me a good day just to get them cleaned up, but it's a fun process!

I'm new here, I recently joined a few days ago. I think the old sewing machines are so unique and interesting. I don't know why I' so drawn to them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barbz689 View Post
    I'm new here, I recently joined a few days ago. I think the old sewing machines are so unique and interesting. I don't know why I' so drawn to them?
    Just BEWARE, it must be the sewing machine oil... get it on your hands and it gets into your blood - makes you want old sewing machines - highly contagious - some people get vaccinated by a sewing machine needle at an early age but the vaccinations do wear off... some just let it run it's course - some catch it by hanging around here and reading. This is very contagious. You'll know you caught it when you read CL or go to garage sales or thrift stores or prowl around in your mother's attic or stand by her sewing machine and start to drool. The drooling is the scary part - it is uncontrollable. Before you know it you won't have any room in your house without a sewing machine. Your children will want to have an intervention. You will have to sneak the machines into the house and hide them so DH won't know another one has taken over. But maybe, maybe DH will catch it too.... In that case he will bring them to you, unannounced because they followed him home and you will let them in the house, the garage, the attic, the basement or a shed - maybe even a storage unit.... you are warned
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Thanks, Glenn. I have an "extra" 319 around here somewhere, it would be fun to treadle it!! The next time it comes out of hiding, I will check it out and see.
    Miz Johnny, I seem to remember that you have a machine you put into a treadle, but like Monica and her 328, you had to adjust/take off the bobbin winder? The 319 drops into a Singer treadle like it was made for the treadle - no adjusting/no modifying at all!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I've been looking through Yahoo Japan (ebay) with great enjoyment since learning about the Hitachi. Has anyone ever seen a Singer Industrial like this one: http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=n105905360
    Back to Yahoo Japan
    Jon
    Better watch out Jon, you will be wanting one of those machines! Let me know if you come across a 'red' 15 clone!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Eh, I just like the name Sushi :>
    Candace, that is cute too, but my Daughter's cat is named Sushi! I think I will stick with Shinobu - it sounds kind of boyish!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Hey, Glenn, I might have some 18s if you need them. I bought a lot of Boye needle tubes to get the #10s for my Davis, and I think there were some 18s in there. Let me know.
    Janice you should keep the Boye 18's in case you come across a W&W or Singer 9W in the future!

Sorry Glenn, I mean no harm, but those Wheeler and Wilson are such cool machines - so is the Singer 9W. I keep a Singer 9W treadle in our bedroom and use it exclusively for mending. I also have the Wheeler and Wilson from Portugal that I keep in the dinning room just for his looks!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Janice my Davis Vertical Feed is Betty - you know Betty Davis!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Glenn, here are pics of my treadle cabinet. Is there too much of the finish gone to use the Howard's Restore product? Thanks.
    I am looking forward to Glenn's reply on this one. It looks to me like that cabinet has all the veneer in place, just needs a good sanding, restaining, and varnishing/shellacing., etc.

Glenn you are the expert?

Nancy

Thank you Glenn

Glenn, I made one of your spool pins cover. Thank you so much for sharing. Mine turned out really cute. Now to make 22 more. Kathie

Blog Entries
    Yes, to much of the finish is gone for Howards to you any good. You have two choices, sand it down until the finish is removed then stain and apply two or three coats of shellac. You can also use denatured alcohol and lots of rags rag to remove the shellac without removing the original stain. If you need to even out the stain you can do this with stain of you choice I use aniline dye(water soluble) then apply shellac. If you want I can Pm you with instructions on applying shellac with a rag and using linseed oil a lubricant to rag from sticking while wipping on the shellac with a soft lint free rag.
    Last edited by Glenn; 11-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Kathie glad you liked the spool pin covers. Please show us a pic.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Hope to see your "after" pictures. I have a WW9 like yours, no decals and lots of grime in a case not cabinet. Haven't started on her yet. Really don't know where to stat. DH calls her a doorstop. Bobbie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Kathie glad you liked the spool pin covers. Please show us a pic.
    Glenn I am an airhead when it comes to computers. I have no idea of how to put a picture on this computer.
    I can not even get it to send me a message when some one post on here. I though I had it set up for instant
    messages. Teck stuff and I do not always get along. I have not even figured out my VCR and I have had it
    for over five years. It sits unused until my granddaughter comes and put in a movie for me. Kathie