Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM

While looking for info my new old machine, I found this website. She used something called Blue Magic's TR-3 Resin Glaze. The differnce it made on an old machine was amazing!!

I would like to try but I wanted other opinions before I do anything to my machines.

Here is the link to her site:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM

I looked at the site and it does sound like she is being quite honest. Only way to know is to sample on a small area of a really dirty,old machine to see.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I bought another vintage machine from Craigslist yesterday for $75. It works wonderfully and is in excellent condition. The only thing missing is the bobbin holder and bobbins. And I may have found replacements, but not sure. The serial number is:H131102.

I am running out of room in my home! LOL!!
Oh that looks like a great machine and the cabinet is in excellent condition as well! Good luck with the restoring.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Singer Industrial and waiting for info. Here is a photo from the site. Anyone know anything about these? :?: :?: I don't know if the manual is readable. It says 206K43
I saw that machine when looking.. I am not sure what to make of it. Maybe it is a good heavy duty machine, it just needs a lot of tender loving care and elbow grease to make her/him shine again!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Singer Industrial and waiting for info. Here is a photo from the site. Anyone know anything about these? :?: :?: I don't know if the manual is readable. It says 206K43
I saw that machine when looking.. I am not sure what to make of it. Maybe it is a good heavy duty machine, it just needs a lot of tender loving care and elbow grease to make her/him shine again!
The owner just replied with this to my questions. "The machine needs work. The motor runs, but the clutch needs repair. This is not a machine to be used for quilting. It is for upholstry, canvas and drapery extra heavy duty. It is about 50 to 60 years old."

I'm not sure if he is correct.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Polishing our old machines- A good shine.

I was told a few years ago to use Harley Glaze (as in Harley-Davidson Motorcycles) . My husband and I went to a new H D store to get some, imagine the old folks going in among the the tough , bearded, leather clad guys asking for Harley Glaze.The poor kid( probably about 18) asking to help us. I told him what I wanted, he found it and laid it on the counter and smiled. I said, "maybe I better tell you what I want to use this for, then you can pass the hint on to some other old ladies", we all laughed, paid my bill and strolled out with my purchase. Just wonder what all those bikers had to say when we left.A good time was had by all.
BTW I really like the product. Ruth
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 AM

(The owner just replied with this to my questions. "The machine needs work. The motor runs, but the clutch needs repair. This is not a machine to be used for quilting. It is for upholstry, canvas and drapery extra heavy duty. It is about 50 to 60 years old."

I'm not sure if he is correct.[/quote]

i can tell you it is at least 40 years old and probably older thatn that. He is right they are not for quilting. The feed dogs are to big they will chew any quilting fabric to pieces. They can be changed to different dogs and plates, etc to be used but it will be hard to do so. also fixing the clutch can be a problem, new motor can be expensive.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 AM

While looking for info my new old machine, I found this website. She used something called Blue Magic's TR-3 Resin Glaze. The differnce it made on an old machine was amazing!!

I would like to try but I wanted other opinions before I do anything to my machines.

Here is the link to her site:

http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine..._machines.html

I know her! She is right on the money. I met her at a TOGA and she helped me get my 127 running. She is great.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Billy, I did leave off a number. The correct # is H1313102.

How do I go about finding a bobbin case? Do I use the model number or serial number? The machine also came with 2 extra and never used belt, one is skinny and the other if thicker.

I do hope one or both of my grandbabies will love sewing as much as I do. They both love to play with my scraps, so maybe there is hope. :D
It is a drop in bobbin like the newer machines so no case needed. It is a model 66 and was allotted on March 27 1906.

Just get some Class 66 bobbins and your good to go.

Billy
Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Billy,

Thank you so much!!!!! I can't wait to try it! It will be Sunday before I can try it out. I am so curious to see how it sews.