Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Katia
I finally got the featherweight that I posted the ad about a few pages ago, maybe a lot of pages ago. The green one. I posted pictures of her in the pictures section. She is so pretty. Serial number on her is either AE538709 or AF 538709 kinda hard to tell. I also can not tell if she was originally black or white, but I am guessing black.

I need to find a good dealer for a few little things. She needs the rubber cushions and it looks like the thing that goes on the light switch toggle is also missing. Otherwise she is in great shape.
Your new green baby was black, the white ones had a shorter fold up bed, also the white ones are wired direct. There is no plug in on the right side. Ruth
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Hi JC. Sorry I missed you when you came into the cafe. An auction sounds fun, especially if they have old sewing machines. How have you mostly acquired your machines?

Don't feel embarrassed about how many machines you have. I know a friend who (last count in February) she had over 210 machines or so. I am sure by now she has more... Silly me, when I met her about a year ago I simply could not understand why she would want that many. I understand now... Have fun at the auction!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Thank you Ruth. I was pretty sure that was the case. Plus her number makes her much older then the white ones. I love her anyway. And whoever did the paint, did a great job.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM

I have (re)found my MILs old Pfaff 230 machine. It is dusty and needs cleaning, and that I plan to have done. It is in it's own cabinet.

I do have some questions, however...

1) I need a couple of parts....I need the bed slide, that is next to the needle plate on the left

2) Also, I would like to find a knee lever if possible.

3) I have no idea where to take it to get it serviced....I live in Central Texas, 3 hrs away from Dallas, 3 hrs away from Houston, and about 2 1/2 hrs away from Austin. Does anyone know of a good and reliable service shop I can take this to?

If there are any clarifications you need to help answer these questions, let me know & I will try
Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 AM

I have (re)found my MILs old Pfaff 230 machine. It is dusty and needs cleaning, and that I plan to have done. It is in it's own cabinet.

I do have some questions, however...

1) I need a couple of parts....I need the bed slide, that is next to the needle plate on the left

2) Also, I would like to find a knee lever if possible.

3) I have no idea where to take it to get it serviced....I live in Central Texas, 3 hrs away from Dallas, 3 hrs away from Houston, and about 2 1/2 hrs away from Austin. Does anyone know of a good and reliable service shop I can take this to?

If there are any clarifications you need to help answer these questions, let me know & I will try
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mama2josh
So this is not exactly a vintage machine, but I did get it when I bought an old machine. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks,
Tara
I have one in a box, I will try to attach the pictures here.
It says it is a Tailor Tacker. The thread does not belong there.
There are two little pieces of chalk that make a mark on both sides of the fabric at the same time. It has a copyright date of 1948 on the box
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70959.jpe  
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

OK as promised here is the first of my oddball machines.
It is called Arlington. Arlington is also in the metal Treadle sides.
It has decals on the top and sides of the cabinet and drawers with Eagles. The decal says "Cash Builders Union, Chicago, Ill" That is also stamped on the metal drawer pulls. Im not sure who made the machine or the date. No manual.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70960.jpe   attachment-70961.jpe   attachment-70962.jpe   attachment-70963.jpe   attachment-70964.jpe  

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

And one more for your viewing pleasure. My Dad bought this one at an auction in the Calif High Desert a few years ago. He knew that I liked these old machines, so he started looking for them.. He paid a whole $5.

It is a Wheeler & Wilson. The Cabinet had been refinished, but the machine needs a little work. All the attachments were in the drawers in a little wooden box.

OK, just disregard all the dust. I didnt even see all that until I looked at the pic online...Ill clean it off and take another pic
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71117.jpe  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by JCquilts
And one more for your viewing pleasure. My Dad bought this one ...He paid a whole $5.

It is a Wheler & Wilson. The Cabinet had been refinished, but the machine needs a little work. All the attachments were in the drawers in a little wooden box.
JC, I like both of your machines. Isn't it interesting that seamstresses/quilters used to put fabric around the head of the machine for storing pins? I have seen that so many times. Unfortunately, it also causes a lot of wear n tear on the decals.

$5... great buy, huh? Thank you for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCquilts
OK as promised here is the first of my oddball machines.
It is called Arlington. Arlington is also in the metal Treadle sides.
It has decals on the top and sides of the cabinet and drawers with Eagles. The decal says "Cash Builders Union, Chicago, Ill" That is also stamped on the metal drawer pulls. Im not sure who made the machine or the date. No manual.
This looks like a Davis or possibly a National. Since your a member of the NB just hop on and go to the PL and look at some Davis and National/Eldridge machines and see if you can pick up on some of the features. We have on of these already posted here but under another badged name.

It is definitely a nice machine and your W&W D-9, Charlee knows more about them but for $5 you can not beat that price at all!!

Looking forward to seeing more of you collection!!

Billy