Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Crossstitcher you have some really nice machines!! The Free machines were always very colorful and very well built. That another reason they badged machines for other companies.

The Bel Aire is an adorable little guy isnt it? I am not sure but I think I read somewhere that the Bel Aire was an Australian badged machine but I might be mistaken. There was a pretty big discussion on the NeedleBar about the machines.

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by BKinCO
OK dumb question time....

I have my machine all disassembled and ready to clean. The handwheel does not soak in the kerosene does it??? Or does it?? If not, how do I clean it???
You can soak it if you want to, I did mine. Then just clean it up with the hand cleaner and polish and your good to go.

Which reminds me I need to post the assembly part of the tutorial...... :roll:

Billy
Hell YES!!!! Before I throw it in a box and wait for you to show up :)
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Hi Billy, I need to know if it is difficult to get a new motor and cord for a 66 red eye. Also a needle clamp. I don;t think He said anything about the needle bar assambly just the clamp. can you just get the clamp? There's one listed on ebay that has frayed wires and I'm thinking that it would be best to replace them. I am going to make an offer. I made an offer on another one but it was refused. this one is a little more beat up, but I think I might be able to get it. I really want a 66 red eye. They are so pretty. I really want one !! Anne
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I love that bench!!!!!
Thanks we got that at Lowes along with a retro glider and a pair of chairs to match. That was my wifes Mothers Day gift from all of us her at the house.

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Billy, I need to know if it is difficult to get a new motor and cord for a 66 red eye. Also a needle clamp. I don;t think He said anything about the needle bar assambly just the clamp. can you just get the clamp? There's one listed on ebay that has frayed wires and I'm thinking that it would be best to replace them. I am going to make an offer. I made an offer on another one but it was refused. this one is a little more beat up, but I think I might be able to get it. I really want a 66 red eye. They are so pretty. I really want one !! Anne
Is it in a cabinet or is it in the bent wood case.

The motor is not that hard to find I have some parts I am fixing to list for the vintage Singers and a VERY nice motor is one of them.

PM me if you interested in it before I list it.

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Hi Billy,Not a cabinet nor bentwood. they are in cases that look like old suitcases. There also is one that is a treadle--just the head--can this be converted to electric and placed in a cabinet? Anne
Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Billy,Not a cabinet nor bentwood. they are in cases that look like old suitcases. There also is one that is a treadle--just the head--can this be converted to electric and placed in a cabinet? Anne

Yes it can so long as it has the boss on the side of the pillar for the motor to bolt on. When you look at it you can see what I am talking about without even asking its that noticeable. It looks like a oval with a hole in the middle of a raised area.

You can find the replacement motors really easily and like I was saying earlier you can find the original motors that were Singer made for them if you look hard enough.

The 66 was the most popular Singer out there and they were produced in the millions so parts and accessories are readily available for them.

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Boy the shop has been busy today. I know I said earlier that I was doing better since I didn't have any of Billy's coffee over the weekend. But, I did win this today, it is like a mystery machine since there were no good pictures.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Then I also found a Davis Manhattan hand crank on CL. Is it worth the $120 price they are asking? I don't know much about the handcranks, but want one :oops:

Davis Manhattan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77174[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-77169.jpe   attachment-77170.jpe  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Boy the shop has been busy today. I know I said earlier that I was doing better since I didn't have any of Billy's coffee over the weekend. But, I did win this today, it is like a mystery machine since there were no good pictures.

Then I also found a Davis Manhattan hand crank on CL. Is it worth the $120 price they are asking? I don't know much about the handcranks, but want one :oops:

As for the Davis I would talk them down but yes I would love to have a machine like that one. I am wondering if the base it is sitting in a cast iron piece or not. Yes I think it is worth it but like I said talk them down when you get there in person.

Billy
Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 PM

You are such an enabler! I was kind of hoping you would say, no way that is too much! Now I will have to make that call.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilt addict

As for the Davis I would talk them down but yes I would love to have a machine like that one. I am wondering if the base it is sitting in a cast iron piece or not. Yes I think it is worth it but like I said talk them down when you get there in person.

Billy