Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 AM

no1jan, you might try www.april1930s.com. I found some parts I needed for my FW.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Wow! Neat cabinet for the FW! I'm guessing there weren't many of those made, by the price being asked.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

I was glad to read everyones posts on this site. I bought a Singer Featherweight 2 years ago on E-bay and she was in very good condition. I think I paid more for her than most of the posts on here but I love using the machine so for me she was worth every penny. I believe I use her more than I use my 2 new Berninas. I named her after my mother and grandmother who both taught me to sew Amy-Rose.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Here is a close up of my Singer model 99-13,That's the model number on the book I got with it, as well as all of the attachments. By looking at the worn decals on the front of the table, it looks like it has been used a bit. It still works fine. But when I need to do alot of sewing or need a fancy stitch I have a Singer Confidence 7469... it is not a bit as strongly built as these old ones. I seen one of these for sale on Ebay, and it showed it sewing up to five layers of leather and quite a lot of heavy duty work... The sieral # reads AD626938. any help on knowing about it would be great. Even if it's not so rare...I think I'll keep it. I allso have a portable. Sears/Kenmore model 158-10301 Serial # 0027654. It's in a white plastic case with molded in roses on both sides, It was given to me and it doesn't have the cord with a plug or foot switch. any help or needs for this as a parts machine
Attached Thumbnails attachment-17875.jpe   attachment-17876.jpe   attachment-17877.jpe  
Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OLDNTATTED
I was quite supprised(happy) with the answer you gave me on the M.I.J. machine, I showded you. I took off all of the plates except the gold "DELUXE" plate (it has rivits). I took plenty of pictures of all angels. I found the sereal #K7101238.
Your machine was built by the Koyo Sewing Machine Company in Japan and like I said before it is one of only a few that left the factory unbadged. Quite a rare piece of history there. Your machine was probably made around 1953 give or take a year or two.

Koyo merged with Seiko (Koyo-Seiko) and then eventually took the Seiko name completely. Then at sometime they subcontracted the industrial machines to S.K. Sharma and Sons in India and eventually the entire Seiko line including the domestics were made by them. Right now I would say about 3/4 of the Japanese machines are made in India right now.

S.K. Sharma is one of the largest "Japanese 15" manufacturer in the world. And almost all of their machines are going to third world or under developed countries in treadles.

If your machine had the "SK" trademark then it would have been made by Koyo-Seiko.

I hope this helps you out a little with the Japanese machine. Just make sure you take good care of it!!

Here is a close up of my Singer model 99-13,That's the model number on the book I got with it, as well as all of the attachments. The sieral # reads AD626938..........Sears/Kenmore model 158-10301 Serial # 0027654. It's in a white plastic case with molded in roses on both sides,
Okay now for the Singer, it was allotted on April 10, 1934 and only 10,000 was made for that run. for a Singer that was a very short run and yours is towards the first part of the run at that.

Your Kenmore is is a Model 1030 and it was made between the years of 1970-1971 by Jaguar. They also badged machines for the White Sewing Machine Company during this time.

Billy
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kygirl
Ok, here's a pic of my oldest, Prissy. She is a model 99, I think that she is from the late 40's or 50's, not sure. I got her in a barter, 3 twin quilts for her and $100cash from a co-worker.
She's missing a bobbin cover plate, other than that she is a smooth, quiet, well running machine.
Prissy is a good looking machine!!

If you can submit the serial number for her we can date her for you and tell you how many brothers and sisters she has on that allotment. The Bobbin plate for your machine is the same one for the 66 and the 185J. You can find it at any sewing machine repair shop or even the Singer dealer.

Billy
Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Refinishing the wood will not be hard. When you are ready I will help talk you through it.

Sharon
Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjaye44
>>But you will have to undo the wires either at the pedal or the plug what ever it takes to get it out of the hole.<<

Is this a major undertaking? I don't want to harm her irreparably. Or should I just take the cabinet in also. I live alone and it took me 3 days to find a neighbor to bring it in from the car. LOL...never a man around when you need one!!

Do you have any suggestions on finding someone locally who likes to work on vintage machines (like you)?? I haven't lived here very long and don't know that many people. I haven't a clue as to how or where to launch a search.
Thanks so much for all your help. Sure hope we don't interfere too much with your own projects.
I know a fellow in Alabama but I would have to ask him exactly where he is but he owns several vintage machines and works on his own. What part of Al are you from.

You could take the piece off that the hole is in. It should be 3 screws to take it off on the underside.

Billy
Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi All, I've been lurking and reading for quite some time, finally first time posting. I appreciate this 'shop' Billy. I have been acquiring machines fast and furious. It started out with a White from Craiglist for $45 and at the moment has stopped with the last two poor souls from a yard sale. An old Kenmore and Singer Model 15, I believe. In between there's 2 Singers, a 101-? and a Model 66 treadle. I have so many questions and I need to get pictures of all of them with each questions. Guess my first question is what is good to clean everybody with. Then I'll get on to where to find missing pieces and parts.
Thanks again Billy. This is going to be wonderful. (sorry so long winded. Kat
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM

Ok...this has GOT to stop! These darned machines just keep following me home!

We stopped at a thrift store today after hitting one of the antique stores and eating my heart out seeing 3 featherweights that weren't able to come home with me...($450 each!)

At the thrift store, there was a butt ugly, pressed wood cabinet. I opened it, and there was a Singer 201, Centenial! No power cord. Hmmmmm....marked at $35....bigger hmmmmmm.... Asked if they would take $15, because of no cord (thinking that if I can get parts for a FW, I'm betting I can get a power cord for this one!)

They said YES! The clear coat is in bad shape, but the machine body and decals are great. Don't know about the motor until I find a cord....but I'm betting she sews!

Singer 201
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20919[/ATTACH]

The Centenial badge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20920[/ATTACH]

Hey Billy...is this what you meant by "Potted Motor"?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20921[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20919.jpe   attachment-20920.jpe   attachment-20921.jpe